Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-05, 06:45 AM   #109
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_assis
The problem is that FreeBSD kernel lacks support from some of the features needed by Nvidia hardware. Let's hope that the latest release of FreeBSD (wich is version 6.0) has these features and the Nvidia developers can finally make a x86_64 driver and a x86_32 driver that supports AGP transfers.
As I posted earlier in this thread, the VM extensions that NVidia wants are not in 6.0, and neither in 7-current at this time.

Of course the i386 drivers support APG transfers, it is just that particular box that doesn't have it. That guy needs to post here for help.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 06:55 AM   #110
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender1
Thanks Martin.
Is very interesting that thing you are talking about but if I understand it correctly I also think the i386 port should have the same problem (and we have the driver). I was thinking that their code is just very i386 dependant, not clean. But again there's a Linux 64bit driver for a while and a FreBSD ports should be possible. I can't imagine a real reason for this...my knowledge is very limited
It has nothing to do with "cleanness".

As I mentioned, I think but am not entirely sure, that this cache control is not in FreeBSD/i386 either.

However, it is possible that either I am wrong about that (don't think so) or that this is architecture-dependent, that NVidia wants control over the CPU cache that only exist in amd64 and has no equivalent in i386.

Maybe Zander can give an official word?

Old 11-11-05, 08:52 AM   #111
raul_assis

Martin,
I think that the amd64 running in 64 or 32 bits is not fully compatible with the Nvidia's driver architcture without proper kernel support. They even had to disable AGP support on the 32 bits version!
The sad thing is that we will have to wait at least another 6 months to see if the next freebsd release has the kind of features that Nvidia wants.
raul_assis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 06:48 AM   #112
Marcin Komar

If You want to speed up the realease of amd64 freebsd nvidia driver, please see
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59777
Marcin Komar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 10:53 AM   #113
raul_assis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cracauer
As I posted earlier in this thread, the VM extensions that NVidia wants are not in 6.0, and neither in 7-current at this time.

Of course the i386 drivers support APG transfers, it is just that particular box that doesn't have it. That guy needs to post here for help.
My box also has that problem. The AGP is disabled and whatever I do to the Xorg configuration I can't enable AGP.
raul_assis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 10:00 PM   #114
Freedevil

Nvidia release the drivers already
AMD64 users are losing out
Freedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 07:05 AM   #115
fhc0

As a Nvidia customer I would also like to see an amd64 version of the Video Driver for FreeBSD. I (hoping I did no mistake!) bought a GF6800 and want to
utilize it using FreeBSD-6.x.

thanks
fhc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 07:15 AM   #116
game-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_assis
The problem is that FreeBSD kernel lacks support from some of the features needed by Nvidia hardware. Let's hope that the latest release of FreeBSD (wich is version 6.0) has these features and the Nvidia developers can finally make a x86_64 driver and a x86_32 driver that supports AGP transfers.
The FreeBSD X86_32 driver DOES support AGP transfers. But you must disable FreeBSD agpgart by adding
Code:
hint.agp.0.disabled="1"
to /boot/device.hints. Also add
Code:
Option "NvAgp" "1"
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf just to be sure.

Edit: back to the topic: Yes, I also want nVIDIA driver support for FreeBSD/AMD64. It would be nice if zander of any other from nVIDIA gave an official statement here.
game-master is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-05, 09:27 AM   #117
Mr.Garibaldi

Just adding my voice to the choir of people wanting FreeBSD-AMD64 drivers from nVidia.
It was much to my dismay that I found I could not use the new, or any other official, drivers with my new FreeBSD setup....

(Yes, I registered just to say this)
Mr.Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 02:50 PM   #118
stalled

I just registered too to say this ...

I too have an Nvidia card on a FreeBSD/amd64 (6.0) machine. I must say that i didn't have the idea to check if there was a driver specifically for amd64. I knew there was a driver for i386 so i kinda assumed it was no problem for nvidia to make a 64-bit release.

Now that i know the reasons of the driver's inexistence, and seeing how some people yelled, i would like to say that there is no reason to be angry at them. A feature is missing in the kernel, nvidia can't do anything but wait for that feature to be added by the kernel developpers. When the feature in question (PAT it seems) will be there i'm sure they will release it in no time.

I'm not pointing anyone, and i understand the pain it is ... I hope the PAT branch will be merged soon and the drivers released the same time (but i'm asking myself whether Nvidia would release drivers for -CURRENT ... )
stalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 04:33 PM   #119
bender1

I'm wondering that perhaps is possible to use the 64 bit linux driver on 64 bit freebsd using the linux emulation. It won't be a native driver but is better than nothing. Has anybody tried anything?
Don't know, I'm just thinking that I can use my wifi on 64 bit linux thanks to the 64 bit windoze driver and ndiswrapper

cheers
bender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 09:09 PM   #120
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender1
I'm wondering that perhaps is possible to use the 64 bit linux driver on 64 bit freebsd using the linux emulation. It won't be a native driver but is better than nothing.
The driver has a kernel component. There is no emulation layer for kernel modules.

It wouldn't be strictly impossible, but a nasty piece of work. Certainly magnitudes of orders easier to give NVidia the VM extensions they want for a FreeBSD driver.