Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-05, 02:12 PM   #121
bender1

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

..so we can only wait nvidia, I guess

NetBSD 3.0 release has also been announced recently http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-3/NetBSD-3.0.html . I don't know if a driver is possible (or if they are interested in such a great operating system)...anyway that's the link with some cool new features for the NetBSD lovers ;-)

cheers
bender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 08:28 AM   #122
BinDjin

Well, I still wait eagerly for the driver. I've been waiting for like a year or even more, don't remember.

So purdy please!
BinDjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 04:08 PM   #123
mixx941

I came across this thread from Google and had to sign up and give my input. I've been using the 64 bit version of FreeBSD on my Athlon64 3000+ for several months now. I recently discovered FlightGear flight simulator and would like to be able to run it on my AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce FX5600 (256MB) machine rather than my slower Athlon XP machine with only 256MB RAM and a GeForce 2 64MB card.

The driver for FreeBSD i386 works fine on that Athlon XP machine but I cannot do full screen mode with it (super choppy -- maybe 1-2 fps). I'd like to be able to take advantage of the rest of my superior hardware in this AMD64 machine but we need the driver. I'm not a gamer at all but I remember playing Flight Simulator 95 many years ago so FlightGear does appeal to me.

Thanks!

-Mark
mixx941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 05:21 AM   #124
joeld

Development happens here: http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTre...pat&HIDEDEL=NO

View changes here: http://perforce.freebsd.org/changeLi.../user/jhb/pat/...

This project needs to finish before Nvidia can produce a driver for FreeBSD/amd64.
joeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 06:27 AM   #125
Duff Man

I am very depressed after reading through this entire thread. This is a wrench in my plans to build a new amd64 system later this month.

Can somebody answer the following two questions for me please:

1. Will X run in any capacity? In a usable capacity?
2. Would older nvidia cards work any better?

I'm looking for alternatives, but all the digging I've done in the last couple days has pointed me to nvidia as being the way to go right now. If I can get a usable X up and running I guess I can wait for things to progress.
Duff Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 03:25 PM   #126
mixx941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man
I am very depressed after reading through this entire thread. This is a wrench in my plans to build a new amd64 system later this month.

Can somebody answer the following two questions for me please:

1. Will X run in any capacity? In a usable capacity?
2. Would older nvidia cards work any better?

I'm looking for alternatives, but all the digging I've done in the last couple days has pointed me to nvidia as being the way to go right now. If I can get a usable X up and running I guess I can wait for things to progress.
Yes, X will run just fine. I'm running X on my amd64 FreeBSD machine with no problems at all. The problem is the official nVidia driver, there is not one for FreeBSD amd64. You will still get display fine for web surfing, email, chatting, whatever....but no OpenGL games will work.

I'm not really a gamer so it isn't a huge issue with me, but I did recently discover Nexuiz and it's an awesome free multiplayer FPS. I'd love to be able to run it on my good amd64 hardware and pretty good GeForce FX5600 card, but I'm stuck on a slower i386 machine with 256MB RAM and a small MX 200 video card.

-Mark
mixx941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 08:21 AM   #127
Duff Man

Thanks for the reply, thats what I needed to hear.

I guess I'll do what I'm doing now...FreeBSD will be my main OS and I'll keep a small Windows partition around for when I get the rare urge to play a game.

/me is starting to get really excited about a new Athlon 64 system.
Duff Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 08:20 AM   #128
kot

Send a message via AIM to kot Send a message via Yahoo to kot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixx941
Yes, X will run just fine. I'm running X on my amd64 FreeBSD machine with no problems at all. The problem is the official nVidia driver, there is not one for FreeBSD amd64. You will still get display fine for web surfing, email, chatting, whatever....but no OpenGL games will work.
Dual-screen setups will not work either, which is a major turn off for me. And even in a single-screen setup, everything is far slower...

NVidia's stance on this is an utter shame...
kot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-06, 10:35 AM   #129
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot
Dual-screen setups will not work either, which is a major turn off for me. And even in a single-screen setup, everything is far slower...

NVidia's stance on this is an utter shame...
Last time I asked I have been told that dual-head should work with the "nv" driver.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 01:49 PM   #130
yurtaikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage
Do you really think that people from all over the world magically found this forum, and then somehow managed to find this particular thread? I'd estimate this group of 40 as a mere 1%. So there are easily 4,000 people that would like and use the driver. Here's an idea, write the driver put it out there and see how many times it gets downloaded. I guarantee it'd be more than 40 -- Idiot.

Most people just email the support team directly at Nvidia if they really cared.
Not mess around on this "Disney Land mickey mouse forum" made for 14 year olds like you.

Geesh mommy can I click all of the happy idiot Smiley Icon's now.....?
"Me too" again. Agree absolutely... We must work under MS? Why?
yurtaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 01:59 PM   #131
yurtaikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstrip1
Thanks Zander for the informative reply and letting us know that it's beeing worked on :-) ...allways fun when you get confimation that you choose the right brand after you bought a product :-) :-)
Hope it doesn't take too long...
Agreed fully. :-( We must use MS? Or maybe we'll change the platform?
Old 02-18-06, 02:07 PM   #132
yurtaikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garibaldi
Just adding my voice to the choir of people wanting FreeBSD-AMD64 drivers from nVidia.
It was much to my dismay that I found I could not use the new, or any other official, drivers with my new FreeBSD setup....

(Yes, I registered just to say this)
I'm too.