Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-06, 11:10 AM   #133
Harvey Pooka

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

My next system (in the next month or two) will be an AMD64 system. I just wanted to let Nvidia know that I would really like to use their excellent 3D driver when my system is complete.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 03:26 AM   #134
BSDGeek_6.X

I need an AMD64 FreeBSD driver too!
I also have Athlon64 3200+/Asus A8V-MX/nVidia Ti4200 and want to use it with full power of FreeBSD. Come on nVidia - we love your products. Listen to your customers.
Its not like ATI is gonna come through for us FreeBSD lovers.
BSDGeek_6.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 06:00 PM   #135
djangoxl

Man man man,
this is becoming a nightmare. I can't use X-windows normally when I'm on my freebsd amd64 machine with this nx6200 tc GPU from NVIDIA!!
The reason I went with NVIDIA is because their hardware should work with OSS and FreeBSD in particular. But I'm really disappointed. The nv driver makes xorg freeze everytime.
When I install Ubuntu on my system or Suse, and they get me the nvidia software, I no longer experience problems. BUT MY MAIN OS IS FREEBSD!!!

Now I'm planning to buy a new X@ system, but I'm afraid of putting nvidia's technology inside because I won't be able to use it on freebsd. It's a pity ATI is worse.

Why can't this be solved?
djangoxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 05:13 AM   #136
gilboa
Linux addict...

I'd suggest you read back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are technical problems with the FreeBSD/amd64 kernel that gate NVIDIA graphics driver support for this platform. NVIDIA has brought these problems up with FreeBSD developers and has been working with one of them to make reliable support for FreeBSD/amd64 technically possible, but unfortunately we can't provide a schedule for when this will be complete.

Please note that the FreeBSD/i386 driver is a native driver. It does not rely on Linux ABI compatibility features for its core functionality, but Linux ABI compatibility is optionally supported and Linux/x86 OpenGL libraries are provided to enable the use of Linux/x86 OpenGL applications on FreeBSD/i386.
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:33 AM   #137
djangoxl

Yeah, I also read that this kernel option is NOT in the current release and will also NOT be in the 7 release.

So, why doesn't NVIDIA fix this?

I think it will benefit them because a lot of "us" are just waiting here and postponing our next (probably nvidia) purchase......

NVIDIA could SPONSER this development right? To make sure the required functionality is in th FreeBSD kernel ASAP.

Because at the end of the day, I'm just looking at the status now and I don't see any progression or whatsoever.

NVIDIA hasn't lost me yet as a customer yet, because for my next X@ system, I'm still considering a nforce platform and a nvidia gpu, but if and only if this issue is solved. Otherwise I will be forced to buy a Apple laptop.
djangoxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 08:26 AM   #138
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

In FreeBSD's defense, NVidia requires a kernel extension that older versions of the Linux driver could live fine without, now it suddenly is a showstopper. It'll cost some performance but I don't care that is the issue here.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 07:32 PM   #139
Mr Marmalade
Refrigerated User

I'd like to raise my hand in the air in request for FreeBSD-amd64 drivers. I cannot currently install FreeBSD 6.0 on my system due to other issues (mobo+Athlon64X2), but maybe FreeBSD6.1 will fix this, but that is another issue. I currently use Slackware 10.2 and it's great and the nVidia drivers are pretty good from my experience, but I'd like to try out FreeBSD or dual-boot it, but it looks like I'm also going to need to wait until these amd64 driver issues get fixed (I'd rather avoid the i386 version). I'm no expert and I won't pretent to be, whatever the tech issues about this problem are, I hope they get resolved. I have a GF6800 & I would always chose/recommend nVidia hardware for Linux due to their comparatively good driver provision & support, as they have helped me quickly in the Linux driver forum to fix a hardware issue I encountered. I hope nVidia plan on having a leading presence in the alternativeOS/FLOSS markets, and put the effort in to get & stay there, and to provide the necessary drivers & support.

Regards.

PS: Sorry for rambling on.
Mr Marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:45 AM   #140
btech

One more vote: I would like to see drivers for AMD/64 under FreebSD6/7 as well. I would especially like to see drivers for ther nforce 4 chipset, supporting ethernet (fully), audio, raid, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff
btech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-06, 07:18 AM   #141
tbyte

Cool Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Another "me too". Sound and ethernet drivers and AMD64 + PCI-E support ... I hope I'll see this before mine second comming .
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 01:06 PM   #142
justken

Me too!
K8NGM2 motherboard with the MCP51 chipset. (cheep emachines box).
nforce audio - no go (replaced with Creative live! 24-bit and oss drivers)
network - no go.
device nve # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet Networking is in my kernel. no updates on the site.

ACPI - can't read character errors - system won't even boot with ACPI enabled.
geForece 6100 video - at least i can run gnome on Freebsd - half the linux distros i've tried don't work (only knoppix live cd boots strait into gui without having to modify the HorizSync and VertRefresh manually).

I gave up on mandriva - after the nvidia drivers kept hanging up my system - seems there was a confilct with the eth1 and audio. still video was pooly supported.

I'm not a gamer, but it would be nice to have cheep system that worked! (FYI this is my first experience with an nvidia board - although i had an asus video card with an nvidia chipset that worked reasonably well.)
justken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 12:57 AM   #143
BinDjin

How many YEARS will I have to wait to get this driver? nVidia, I love your stuff, but my patience is running out and I am growing mad waiting, having to use Windows just 'cuz of this issue!

Pretty please! <3
BinDjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 11:08 PM   #144
Bocha

Send a message via ICQ to Bocha
Talking Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

It was a shock for me yesterday.
I was installing FreeBSD/AMD64 on my new Sempron/GeForce 6600 and... the port said that drivers are only for i386. What didn't I only do to enable nvidia module, but got only kernel panics. It was 04:00 AM, I've spent my night to see that there is no driver. I went to the bar and got crashed out drunk.

Oh please, take some time to make this drivers, oh please.
Bocha is offline   Reply With Quote