Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-07, 08:03 AM   #229
fader

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDice
Read the rest of the thread. The problem isn't with NVidia but with the FreeBSD developers.
Well, if you think its an operating systems task to match the requirements of a given driver, you may be right. But in operating systems lectures I've been told, that its a drivers task to make a given piece of hardware work under a given operating system by matching both the requirements of the operating system and the requirements of the hardware. So its the drivers task to change.

Nvidia may be in a position demanding the mountain to go to Mohammed. It may be even reasonable for them in the light of an economical decision. And finally, a FreeBSD Developer might even bite the bait and do the job.

But its just not true, to blame the FreeBSD developers for nvidias lack of interest and their decision, to just sit and wait till FreeBSD has been changed the way that the existing code can be made running on FreeBSD with near to no effort.

What happens here is what I would call a prime example of whats the problem with closed source binary driver BLOBs. If you rely on such a piece of c**p, you are at the mercy of the one thats hiding the information from you and the people that like to support your piece of hardware. Read the thread. Read it again. All the legitimate customers - down to begging. Thats all we can do. And Nvidia is trapped too. They can't effort to develop and maintain a driver for our rather exotic plattform, cause that would not make any economical sense. And they can't give the informations away, because of intellectual property and patents and all the stuff. So I'm finding myself selling that piece of nonfunctional electronic trash at ebay or change my operating system in order to gain 64 Bit Support.

And thats _not_ a problem with the FreeBSD Devs. (No, it's also not a problem with nvidia, cause nvidia didn't make the market and its rules)
fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 10:23 PM   #230
biggerbumme

Arrow Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus - please make a driver for freebsd-amd64 available: surely i386 and 32bit hardware generally is heading off into the sunset of obsolescence http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/afro.gif

I am not a mac/windows hater: I'm currently paid to develop in the windows and mac environments. On the other hand, when I'm not paid I prefer to escape these mapped out consumer experiences, and use an OS that really rewards curiosity and experimenting - something open source - specifically freebsd. And one particular bugbear of mine is having to keep some mac or win box at home to print or scan the odd page using this or that peripheral from some manufacturer that doesn't see a market in linux and especially BSD.

While I recognise the commercial imperative to give priority to the largest segments of the market, surely there is some value in treating the opensource OS segment of the market as a loss leader - given the disproportionate amount of developers and market-shapers using these OSes.

In corporations at the management level(I'm not talking specifically about nvidia here - I don't really know enough about nvidia to make any assertions about it) it seems to me that corporate managers are unwilling to see the groundswell of people who despair of the current oligarchy -not just in the IT industry - and who would chuck their corporate OS etc away tomorrow if they could see a way. This is one of the main bases of the success of linux. After all monopolies are great for the companies who own them, but the enemy of humanity.

Much of the rest of the consumer market essentially have made no decision at all as to what they use. They simply use what they're told to/ what everyone else has, and will follow the trend and the market into the future.

Be that as it may, I do urge nvidia to release 64bit drivers for freeBSD, so I can feel like I have not invested in a $150 paperweight (I know, I know, I should have checked a driver was available b4 I bought, rather than reying on nvidia's reputation for better support of free OSes
biggerbumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 10:04 AM   #231
tad1214

Well, it has been a few years guys.... any updates on getting out freeBSD amd64 driver, or is it still a freebsd vs nvidia deadlock? I was all excited to have a 64 bit processor, and now can't use the 64 bit advantages due to my video card.... Sorry 4 GB of ram, can't use all of you natively, have to use PAE....
tad1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 03:23 PM   #232
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt
The 3D specs have not been released yet. Intentions, yes, 2D stuff yes, but we are not there yet.
No 3D specs yet, 3 months later...

Yeah that worked out great.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 06:38 PM   #233
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt
No 3D specs yet, 3 months later...

Yeah that worked out great.
AMD just hired more personnel to go through the specs to clean them up. They are on their way.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 12:44 PM   #234
NeHe

Thumbs down Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Does no one else think it's insane that more than 3 years after the first post we still don't have an AMD64 FreeBSD Nvidia Driver!?!
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 12:48 AM   #235
sfourman

Yes NeHe I do this this is getting a little out of hand, I know that Nvidia has stated the changes that need to be made to the kernel to allow a amd64 driver.

I do believe the freebsd developers are actively working on it, you can check the status here http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

Sam Fourman Jr.
sfourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 12:17 AM   #236
NeHe

Lightbulb Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Yes, I have been following all of the posts... and although I see that the FreeBSD team has a lot of work to do to get things the way nvidia wants, I have also read that the Nvidia driver did not require these features in linux until recently.

It's just ironic that when I moved to AMD64 I thought ports would cause me the most grief (nothing would work). The truth is, almost every port I have tried works just fine. The few ports that do not work compile just fine, but they require 3D acceleration... something I don't have thanks to the lack of an Nvidia driver. Aside from Nvidia, the only other package I really miss is Wine, but that's another story.

Any way, thanks for the reply... it's good to see people are still checking this thread.
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-07, 11:15 PM   #237
Agrapha

I too have only found a couple ports which don't build like I expected. The worst part is getting the correct driver after installing a previous addition and then being unable to completely remove the original driver. That has prevented my xwindows to operate at all. Shame, there were a lot of X applications i wanted to try.

I posted my errors here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103931 . if that was the wrong place please let me know.
Agrapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 11:12 AM   #238
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHe
Yes, I have been following all of the posts... and although I see that the FreeBSD team has a lot of work to do to get things the way nvidia wants, I have also read that the Nvidia driver did not require these features in linux until recently.
I still didn't get why it wasn't any problem to support Unix drivers without those VM features in the past and now suddenly it's the dealbreaker.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 09:44 PM   #239
zhtw

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver?

Hi! I'm just another one who needs the freebsd-amd64 driver for 7150m chip. I bought a laptop with mcp67m chip set and now I can't use neither standard nv driver nor vesa (it cannot do 1280x800). I don't know what to do. I'm ready to donate a modest sum to FreeBSD community but I can't be sure that nVidia guys are going to use the improvements FreeBSD people are making.
zhtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 07:08 PM   #240
Tiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinthos
Quote:
---
So where is it? MUST I USE AN ATI? You have 2 weeks to comply.
---

I can only laugh at that comment, since in a chat Ati said they had "No plans to support FreeBSD at all". 32-bit or 64-bit.

You do need to be practical, there are approx 40 posts of people that want a FreeBSD 64-bit driver. 40 people. 40 nvidia owners......that's quite a tiny number of people.
---
OK - make that 41! If NVidia does not support 3D on FreeBSD/AMD64, what other cards do? I just bought an 8800 and was hoping to use it on AMD64. Perhaps I should return it and get something that doea work...
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote