Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-07, 03:21 AM   #241
NeHe

Lightbulb Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

It's definitely sad. I have been with Nvidia since the old TNT days. My current desktop has an 8800. When I bought my laptop I had the choice of Intel or Nvidia... I went with Nvidia. I've been using BSD since version 4.x... I was fairly disappointed with 5.x, but my faith was restored when 6.x came out... In less than a year my machine went from "fairly unstable, with little hardware support, and no extras", to a "rock solid desktop machine with excellent hardware support (webcam, scanner, printer, audigy, etc) and a few nice features like compiz, HAL, etc". It was truely amazing to see how fast features were being added to BSD. Now I'm using 7.x and although there is a lot of nice work being done under the hood, there is very little being done for the person running BSD as a desktop client (not everyone uses ubuntu).

Perhaps we should start a fund to help motivate developers to work on Nvidia's list of required features. Is anyone able to arrange something like this? Nvidia Amd64 Bounty? I'll be the first one to dontate!

Maybe we could set up a bounties page and have FreeBSD.org link to it. We could vote on issues that we feel need to be resolved (ex. page 0C support added to ukbd.c) and post bounties based on demand, difficulty, etc?
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-07, 06:54 AM   #242
edhunterbg

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

damn I bought 8800gt and it is unsupported even by nv driver ...
I am stucked with vesa driver at deadly 60HZ !
I have two options - to use my 4gigs ram and full capabilities of my cpu (with freebsd/amd64) OR use my videocard (with freebsd/i386)
hope this driver saga will end soon...
(or just a christmas/ny gift from nvidia to their buyers
edhunterbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-07, 10:55 AM   #243
Tiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHe

Perhaps we should start a fund to help motivate developers to work on Nvidia's list of required features. Is anyone able to arrange something like this? Nvidia Amd64 Bounty? I'll be the first one to dontate!

Maybe we could set up a bounties page and have FreeBSD.org link to it. We could vote on issues that we feel need to be resolved (ex. page 0C support added to ukbd.c) and post bounties based on demand, difficulty, etc?
I am in for that fund - they can have $100 from me.
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-07, 02:54 PM   #244
DrVince

They don't need money as much as a moderator. Both sides (FreeBSD and Nvidia) are stubborn as to how to handle the issues. It's very frustrating to know them stalled like that.
DrVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 01:14 AM   #245
NeHe

Post Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

I agree, that they do indeed need a moderator, but it's a known fact that people love to make quick cash (google summer of code is a good example). Rather than sorting through applications to find the best man for the job, we could offer the entire bounty to whoever completes the task first (working code).

I know this is only half the problem... but if we can get the FreeBSD issues out of the way, it wont leave any excuses for Nvidia to not support us!

edhunterbg what type of issues are you having with the NV driver? I have an 8800 and it works fine with the NV driver (just no 3d support whatsoever, and no video scaling in mplayer)
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 07:16 AM   #246
edhunterbg

G92 core isnt supported by nv driver. at least not for me
edhunterbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 10:22 AM   #247
baspr

+1
I need FreeBSD x64 nvidia driver too!
baspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 06:04 AM   #248
djzort

i now have a freebsd/amd64 machine which needs a proper nvidia driver. please port the drivers to this architecture.
djzort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-08, 01:09 PM   #249
elium

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
It's pity but I am going to sell out all my Nvidia cards because their incompatibility with new software and old TV....
I have bought a several boxes with 64 bit processors like 10 years ago when we all were passing from 16 bit DOS/Windows 3.11 to 32 bit Windows 95, remeber it anybody all voices about the very best 16 bit software and why use 32 bit if all tasks you guys could do well?
10 years and now we are at Open Sourse (Note I do not mention Free of Charge, only Free to Choice - so many people confuse this mentions)
Now it's time 64 bit software. My opinion that Nvidia does stupid taks as well as developers at FreeBSD, from side I see none wills to do main idea not to seek who is right who is not just to get done , to be with solution. In my opinion Nvidia's as FreeBSD developers' Main Tasks to serve people with thier needs and people should and must pay for that or in form some development and person time involving to for example to write some documentation or ads for their OS distributive OR just give some money for solutions and just to buy it.
Now, just, I am sitting and realizing which OS platform to take and to USE for MY NEEDS and what hardware to BUY and use for MY NEEDS as well. Goodbay FreeBSD and Nvidia.
elium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 06:48 AM   #250
gilboa
Linux addict...

...Babel/Google-language-tools on downers? (Or did I lose 75% of my brain cells?)

- Gilboa
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 12:04 PM   #251
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHe
That won't work here. There will be contiguous maintenance needed on these interfaces. NVidia's requests for features are also too fuzzy (aka no sample code), so some back and forth with "oh we actually meant xxx" will be needed. That doesn't mix with a one-shot bounty which you can use to fix specific bugs.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 01:21 PM   #252
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

There's been no back and forth that I'm aware of and to the best of my knowledge, the need for the features requested in an email to freebsd-hackers has been neither disputed nor has a lack of details been brought to my attention. As far as I know, the work required is understood by at least some FreeBSD developers (e.g. John Baldwin) and is blocked on either lack of time/resources or other kernel development work.

NVIDIA has expressed interest in working with FreeBSD developers to help make it possible to provide NVIDIA graphics drivers for FreeBSD/amd64, as well as to achieve feature parity with the Linux/Solaris graphics drivers on FreeBSD/i386, but any such support continues to be gated by the features in question.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote