Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-08, 12:11 AM   #253
TelJanin

Cool Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Howdy,
New user to nvnews.net, long-time FreeBSD user (7 years, now). Been using nVidia cards for most of that time. I was thrilled when I saw the FreeBSD/i386 driver back in the day, and got hardware rendering working. Started buying amd64 procs two years back, now they are all that I own. Just replaced my FreeBSD box (last holdout), and was disappointed to see no amd64 nvidia driver. While it's not strictly necessary for what I do in FreeBSD (development of optical network monitoring applications, primarily), I would like the ability to run 3d apps and have it rendered in hardware. I could bluster and say I'd not purchase nVidia again because of this, but you and I both know thats probably not true. I may, at some point in time in the future, investigate the support of other video cards in amd64, but more likely, I'll hang tight as is, live with software rendering for what little need I have for it, and voice the fact that I'd like to see a driver. Such is life.

Zander, thanks for the heads up on where things stand at the moment.

-Tel

(posted from Firefox on FBSD6.3/amd64)
TelJanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 04:20 PM   #254
sfourman

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Zander,

would it be possible for you or someone at nvidia to make a fresh request to freebsd-hackers@ , basically you cold restate that nvidia wants to help, along a amd64 driver, as well as express a call for developers, to mabye contribute some time. would it be out of the question for nvidia to provide a small bounty for the kernel work (maybe like $3,000) if there was a place for me to donate $100 USD to the cause I would in a blink.

Thank you

Sam Fourman Jr.
sfourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 06:51 PM   #255
boltronics

Just brought a new Intel C2Q machine with an Asus 8800GT. I'm a new FreeBSD user (but been using GNU/Linux systems for years), installed the amd64 version (as the box has 4GB RAM) and didn't realize until now that this configuration wasn't supported by nVidia. I've already spent many hours compiling hundreds of applications for my GNOME desktop - I'm not going to revert back to 32-bit.

As I see it, failing to provide amd64 drivers in 2008 is quite a problem.
boltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 05:30 AM   #256
northshorefiend

+1

Signed up just to say thanks for the excellent driver on linux (8600 GT).

FreeBSD amd64 would be even better.
northshorefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 01:46 AM   #257
Tiran

So I am willing to live without 3D support for a bit, since I have a dual boot 32 and AMD64. Is there a way to at least use 2D with my 30" monitor? I would be happy with 2560x1600 resolution on my AMD64 system without 3D HW acceleration for now. Dang it! I just want to use AMD64 and Xorg!

Any ideas ???
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 05:06 PM   #258
TelJanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran
So I am willing to live without 3D support for a bit, since I have a dual boot 32 and AMD64. Is there a way to at least use 2D with my 30" monitor? I would be happy with 2560x1600 resolution on my AMD64 system without 3D HW acceleration for now. Dang it! I just want to use AMD64 and Xorg!

Any ideas ???
I've gotten my video cards up using the 'nv' driver that comes with xorg release. Is the nv driver not providing the resolution you're looking for, or is it having trouble detecting your card?
TelJanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 11:37 AM   #259
Tiran

Well, it does recognize the card (8800 Ultra). However I am getting 1280x800. seems I am running in Single DVI Link, and not in a Dual DVI link mode, thats why I am getting half the vertical and half the horizontal resolution. Not sure how to change that in my Xorg.conf. Tried to enable several options without success. Thanks for helping!!!
Old 02-05-08, 05:30 PM   #260
sjss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran
OK - make that 41! If NVidia does not support 3D on FreeBSD/AMD64, what other cards do? I just bought an 8800 and was hoping to use it on AMD64. Perhaps I should return it and get something that doea work...
Right now, I think you are pretty much stuck with Intel. Sadly the G35 looks to have slightly less "brute force" than an nVidia 7300 (on my current machine).

So, don't expect amazing performance results out of it.

And regarding the "40 posters/40 nVidia users" from another user; sorry, but you can safely bet the majority of the users aren't posting here. As with most thing, the outspoken are usually just the tip of the iceberg.
sjss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-08, 05:51 AM   #261
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjss
Right now, I think you are pretty much stuck with Intel. Sadly the G35 looks to have slightly less "brute force" than an nVidia 7300 (on my current machine).

So, don't expect amazing performance results out of it.
Well, even the open source radeon drivers work on amd64. This supports everything from the radeon 7000 to the radeon x1050.

Bear in mind, though, that *none* of the open source drivers will run linux applications at the moment as amd64 does not have a 32-bit (or maybe even a 64-bit) linux compatability layer like freebsd/i386 does. There is no linux_dri port for for amd64 at the present moment, limiting amd64 users with those cards (intel or ati) to running only FreeBSD opengl binaries.

This would also be the case even if nvidia produced freebsd/amd64 binaries.

So, at the present moment, if you want to run *any* linux opengl applications, you are forced to use FreeBSD/i386, whether you're using nvidia or another video card.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 03:14 PM   #262
jrisom

Is there any hope for even a crippled version for amd64? Yesterday I had to take out my 6200 I recently purchased, because I cannot get it to do 1440x900. The nv driver that comes with X doesn't seem to work for me with Ubuntu(32 bit) or FreeBSD(64 bit), it would either give me a blank screen or lock up the computer. The chip is NV44A in case that matters. My monitor scretches lower resolutions to fill the entire screen so they're unsuitable for a decent look. I was able to get the nvidia driver working on Ubuntu which I use with wine and anything not supported on FreeBSD, but since there's no FreeBSD/amd64 driver, I gave up on the card so I can watch a movie.

Sadly, my Via Unichrome S3 works better than my nvidia 6200. If that isn't encouragement to get something available for FreeBSD/amd64, I don't know what is. I'm currently running 6.3-PRERELEASE, but would upgrade to 8-CURRENT if needed.
jrisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 01:36 PM   #263
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

There has been some discussion on the FreeBSD developers mailing list about this recently. While the contents of that list are confidential I can tell you that I, myself, feel that this is a project with too low reward to effort ratio.

The features requested by NVidia are partly only for > 4 GB machines, which I don't see must be a hard exclusion feature. These are the two projects that raised no interest at all so far. These features are also those that have "fluffy" descriptions, no concrete API is specified. All I say see is "do whatever Linux does".

At the same time AMD/ATI seems to slowly but steadily follow through with publishing their 3D programming specs, with the first 3D chip descriptions appearing last month:
http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/

If this leads to a working DRI on modern AMD/ATI cards then half of my NVidia cards go into the trash and the other half on Ebay the same week.

Which developer wants to be caught in that hot spot? First you'll have a lot of back and forth about what exactly is required, having to do whatever Linux happens to do. Good luck bringing that through with some of the more conservative FreeBSD folks. Suddenly taking the blame for both NVidia's driver not working and for messing up the VM kernel APIs in a hurry. And then when you are finished the need evaporates because AMD/ATI got to their senses.

I have already given up on ever using NVidia mainboard chipsets again. In particular because NVidia doesn't even give us a clear list of what SATA controller is in which chipset, which is a slap to the face in my opinion. Right now I have Nvidia video cards in all machines that can't do 3D under DRI. But would I miss them? No.

%%

I say it again: older Linux ports of the NVidia driver and the i386 port of the FreeBSD driver can live fine without these features. The kernel feature required here are for increased performance and/or for machines with more than 4 GB (does the i386 driver work with PAE, anyway?).

Now that AMD/ATI seems to be serious about publishing specs for DRI, that window of opportunity has passed. Think about how small the union of those developers is that can hack up the VM system and who need a full-performance driver. If the thing runs Google Earth and other non-game 3D applications and older and OpenSource games that's good enough at least for me. The effort to benefit ratio is just too off. After all that work (coding and politics) you would still be stuck with a binary driver that breaks on every other kernel change, with you now taking the blame. Instead you could get cracking on DRI for modern AMD/ATI cards, which leads to a much more satisfying results, an OpenSource driver.

%%

I need to make double sure to state that I don't speak for anybody else than myself. But the situation changes, and not in the direction desired here. Assumptions that it is just a matter of time until somebody picks up these projects will not likely turn out true. Some of the features required are useful for more than the binary NVidia driver and will get implemented anyway. Others will not.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 05:19 PM   #264
Tiran

My $700.00 Nvidia card will follow your in the trash as well. What a waste of money.