Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-08, 01:23 PM   #277
jrisom

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjss
To my knowledge, any driver bundled with xorg (i.e. everything but drivers produced by nvidia), including the open source nv driver for nvidia cards, works with AMD64.
Something must be weird about my system then, since the nv driver doesn't work at all for me with Ubuntu/i386 or FreeBSD/amd64. Not even something as simple as 640x480 will work unless vga/vesa is used. The nvidia driver works for me with Ubuntu, so it's obviously a driver issue.
jrisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 08:00 AM   #278
Banym

need also amd64 support

its time to get it work
Banym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 05:32 AM   #279
tobid

Arrow Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

seems, we will have to live with the "nv"-driver for some time ....

took the opportunity though, to support the FreeBSD Project by
visiting http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
tobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 05:29 AM   #280
freeseb

Hi Guys,

I need this driver too, that's a pity it not working while it's asked for so long ;-)
freeseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 09:29 PM   #281
codonnell

Just logging another request for FreeBSD7/amd64. this is an increasingly important arch moving forward with modern Core 2 machines.

best.
codonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 01:29 PM   #282
ksudziarski

Dear nvidia.
Listen to your customers. We really need this driver for amd64/FreeBSD 7.x. I bought this card because I had Geforce previously which was working with nvidia driver on i386 arch. So I bought another nvidia product because I was sure that it will work with no problems on FreeBSD. Now I am quite dissappointed - I am thinking of returning that card and buying ATI. There is a saying that: one unhappy customer will tell it to 10 other people but one happy customer will say it to only 2 other people. Keep it in your mind.
Greetings from Poland
ksudziarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 02:47 PM   #283
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please read my earlier posts to this thread for information on why FreeBSD amd64 is not presently supported - although some of the information linked to is dated, the overall status remains practically unchanged. NVIDIA continues to be interested in restoring feature parity between the FreeBSD i386 and the Linux/Solaris graphics drivers, as well as to add support for FreeBSD amd64, but at present, the FreeBSD kernels do not provide the required feature set.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 03:13 PM   #284
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

The i386 port seems to work fine without these features.

Two of the 5 main requests features are for > 4 GB machines only. While I realize that people would scream bloody murder if the driver only works up to 4 GB I don't see how having no driver is better. I volunteer to scream back at them.

I am not in the mood for software archeology right now but I bet that Linux got the NVidia driver for x86_64 long before all these features were implemented, too.

I understand NVidia's desire to not having to introduce a whole bunch of #ifdefs for FreeBSD/amd, while at the same time taking FlaK for lower performance and not being able to run with > 4 GB. Point taken in advance.

But NVidia has to understand that my money is on ATI now that they did follow through with releasing documentation that is actually useful for implementing drivers. While I realize that it will take some time for driver to be as usable as they need to be for me, there is no way that I "reward" ATI's efforts by buying NVidia cards in the meantime, even during the time when they are still more useful.

Aside from all that, NVidia Linux driver quality, which I have defended in many public posts over the years, is really down in the dumpster now. It seems to me that the development and QA capacity available for the NVidia Linux drivers is now being crushed in that cube of increased complexity feature-wise, more diverse user usage scenarios and wider range of "supported" hardware, both vertically (more generations) and horizontally (more crazy features like partially shared host memory, X2 cards, SLI etc.).

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-08, 06:15 PM   #285
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The fundamental problem is that the FreeBSD kernel does not give drivers full control over how memory is mapped. On FreeBSD i386, this can be worked around to a certain degree, and the NVIDIA graphics driver for this platform does so as best it can*; even so, it can not currently provide the same feature set as the Linux/Solaris graphics drivers do, nor can they be expected to work reliably on the same set of configurations. On FreeBSD amd64, some of the workarounds are not feasible. Due to this and because common x86-64 hardware is most susceptible to the kinds of problems to be expected, even rudimentary graphics driver support would be inherently unreliable.

Although Linux/x86-64 has presented its own share of technical problems over time, the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver has generally had enough flexibility to work around these problems. Please note that some of the workarounds possible during the early days of Linux/x86-64 support no longer work: for example, kernels that do not provide the change_page_attr() kernel interface shipped at a time when the advanced speculative caching logic in AMD processors could be disabled. Restrictions apply when using such kernels today.

*as of FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE, some of the workarounds have been replaced with calls to new kernel interfaces.
Old 04-08-08, 10:39 AM   #286
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Thanks for the update.

But you have to understand that the chances that anybody implements what you want are very slim now that the ATI documentation pandora is out of the box.

There are very few FreeBSD kernel hackers who play the newest games and require a full-performance driver. Those people will jump on the Xorg/DRI/ATI bandwagon and google earth is their benchmark. I understand that some of the features you request are required for full performance comparable to the Windows drivers and of course there will be plenty of people bashing you if you implement a less-than-Windows performing driver. But those people aren't the ones who can implement VM mapping details that require both hardware knowledge and FreeBSD-specific kernel knowledge.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 01:54 PM   #287
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't believe that the development of drivers for other vendors' hardware, open-source or otherwise, precludes improvements to the core FreeBSD kernel. The features in question are not NVIDIA graphics driver (or even graphics driver) specific and generally useful.

Please note that although a subset of the requested features is required for fully featured FreeBSD i386 driver, the missing feature set blocking a FreeBSD amd64 driver is required for basic support, like I said in my last post. Please also note that FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE already includes some improvements in the form of the pmap_change_attr() and pmap_mapdev_attr() kernel interfaces and that there're plans to improve their interaction with the FreeBSD amd64 kernel's direct mapping by leveraging the superpages work in HEAD.
Old 04-08-08, 07:43 PM   #288
salkillen

Re: FreeBSD-amd64/EM64T driver for Quadro & GeForce cards. Please Zander, tell the powers that be, demand is GROWING!
FreeBSD/X and 64bit OGL would be sweet!
Scott K.
salkillen is offline   Reply With Quote