Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-08, 06:37 PM   #301
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBeeble42
Right now, on my multi-boot laptop, I have both 32bit FreeBSD and 64bit FreeBSD. Because I have 4G RAM, I use PAE on the 32 bit side --- although it doesn't seem to pick up _all_ the RAM, PAE uses more than non-PAE. The NVidia binary driver seems to work with PAE.
You need to remap the RAM between 3-4 GB to above 4 GB to see everything. That's a BIOS function, not the OS.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 08:47 PM   #302
ZOleg

Question Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBeeble42
Right now, on my multi-boot laptop, I have both 32bit FreeBSD and 64bit FreeBSD. Because I have 4G RAM, I use PAE on the 32 bit side --- although it doesn't seem to pick up _all_ the RAM, PAE uses more than non-PAE. The NVidia binary driver seems to work with PAE.
Howto run Xorg with nvidia-driver on 32-bit FreeBSD 7-STABLE with PAE?
I tryed with 169.12 and 173.08 and no luck - machine reboots at starting X.
Please describe more detail how to do it.

Last edited by ZOleg; 04-28-08 at 08:29 PM.
ZOleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 03:45 PM   #303
Aragon

I just tried 169.12 on a PAE kernel. Same results as ZOleg. zBeeble, any ideas?
Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 12:52 AM   #304
atomic

I've been checking in on this forum topic for well over a year now and I've finally decided to register an account and put in my voice. This is not a "me too." Over the weekend I discovered that the fuctionality that I was waiting for has now been implemented. It wasn't really documented too well and I only just discovered it over the weekend, but AIGLX seems to be fixed for the radeon driver (I think it was on the DRM side) in the FreeBSD 7 release. I'm now happily running Compiz Fusion on AMD64 after enabling AIGLX in xorg (It's still disabled by default).

This is what I've been waiting for. It's a shame that I can only get it with an ATI card, but that's just how NVIDIA has decided to play things. The way I see it, things are only going to get better on the ATI side. I see no reason to buy an NVIDIA card any longer. Not unless, as mentioned, NVIDIA decides to release their documentation to be on par with ATI and focus on making better hardware.

If anyone is wondering on the specifics,
$ uname -a
FreeBSD xxx.xxx.local 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Thu Mar 6 16:15:31 PST 2008 root@xxx.xxx.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XXX amd64
xorg-7.3_1
xf86-video-ati-6.8.0_1
compiz-0.6.2

and I'm using an R350 chipset. I have no special patches. Working as is. Like I said, I only needed to enable AIGLX in the xorg configuration.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 01:49 AM   #305
clash rocker

Very interesting atomic, thanks for the headsup.

NVIDIA will no longer be getting my money or recomendations either. AMD and Intel have made great move releasing GPU documentation without NDA's. I for one will be showing my support for an open world.
clash rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 04:36 PM   #306
Aragon

That's great to hear, atomic. I saw the AIGLX option in the xorg-server port when I was building my PAE box. It is enabled by default here. I've just trashed my PAE setup and gone AMD64. My nVidia card is up for sale and I'll be getting an ATI card soon. I noticed the radeonhd driver recently got RV6XX support - doubly awesome!

I'll probably try the nv driver until I get the ATI card, but I've heard it sucks. Frankly I don't need 3D much (beryl/compiz - been there done that, but would like to play quake sometimes!), but good 2D is essential. Happy to hear both are now possible!
Old 04-30-08, 04:12 AM   #307
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon
That's great to hear, atomic. I saw the AIGLX option in the xorg-server port when I was building my PAE box. It is enabled by default here. I've just trashed my PAE setup and gone AMD64. My nVidia card is up for sale and I'll be getting an ATI card soon. I noticed the radeonhd driver recently got RV6XX support - doubly awesome!

I'll probably try the nv driver until I get the ATI card, but I've heard it sucks. Frankly I don't need 3D much (beryl/compiz - been there done that, but would like to play quake sometimes!), but good 2D is essential. Happy to hear both are now possible!
FYI, the radeonhd driver does not support direct rendering at the moment. Direct rendering only works, with open source drivers, for r100-r400 cards. r500 3Dwill probably happen shortly in the radeon driver shortly (actually, it's already working, but will only run glxgears, in linux using a special development branch).

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 10:28 AM   #308
Aragon

Ah ok, thanks. No worries. 2D more important at this stage.

Old 05-01-08, 04:45 PM   #309
Grogan

I didn't realize there wasn't a 64 bit Nvidia driver for FreeBSD until now. I just installed FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 release on one of my rigs and I'm disappointed that there's no support. The xorg nv driver is ok for desktop stuff, but even it isn't the greatest for 2D rendering performance. I was indeed expecting to be able to play open source games here (e.g. Sauerbraten, Alien Arena) but this kind of throws a wrench in the works.
Grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 03:55 AM   #310
Aragon

Yup, Grogan, I was in the same boat. nVidia claim that FreeBSD lacks the support for making a driver their way, but why don't they just write a patch for BSD then? It's open source after all!

I sold my nVidia card yesterday. At least they're easy to get rid of.
Old 05-02-08, 09:34 PM   #311
gilboa
Linux addict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon
Yup, Grogan, I was in the same boat. nVidia claim that FreeBSD lacks the support for making a driver their way, but why don't they just write a patch for BSD then? It's open source after all!

I sold my nVidia card yesterday. At least they're easy to get rid of.
It's not that easy.
As far as I can see nVidia requires/demands/etc a number of substantial changes that require upstream (read: FreeBSD kernel developers) approval before being accepted into the main-line FreeBSD kernel.
Writing a patch for a kernel is one thing. Getting it accepted is another.

- Gilboa
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:45 PM   #312
ksudziarski

Angry Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
It's not that easy.
As far as I can see nVidia requires/demands/etc a number of substantial changes that require upstream (read: FreeBSD kernel developers) approval before being accepted into the main-line FreeBSD kernel.
Writing a patch for a kernel is one thing. Getting it accepted is another.

- Gilboa
This is what NVidia needs in order to make their driver working http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-hackers&...7983106569&w=2. Nevertheless it has been more than a year (almost 2) since they (NVidia) started to investigate the case. This is enough time to contact FreeBSD developers and make up a way to solve ANY problem. I have an impression that NVidia is not enough interested in this driver. Otherwise we would already have the driver in our boxes. I am developer in a really big company so I am aware that communication overhead increases with company size but ... 2 years is reeaaally enough to make even big complex project. I wish I was wrong with my assumptions...
ksudziarski is offline   Reply With Quote