Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-09-08, 03:41 PM   #337
LateNiteTV

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjss View Post
I downloaded/burned the 7.0/i386 CD. I did a minimalisitc install (documentation and base system). I csup'ed src and ports. I modified the configuration to get rid of a bunch of NIC drivers (all but re and nve), then I took out almost all of the raid and scsi drivers. Aside from that, it's the generic kernel (which defaults to SMP enabled).

On one install, I installed X & the nvidia driver first, from ports, it worked fine (reinstalled X/driver after updating the kernel/world though). On the other, I updated the kernel first, it worked fine.

I kept the default make.conf and did the installs via portupgrade, with the '--batch' flag.
thank you. thats exactly what i was looking for.
LateNiteTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 08:00 AM   #338
Oleg1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
@zander: "I've seen claims that given the relatively small user base"

How the small user base enlargement if not correct working of product? I buying NVIDIA 96xx for using it on FreeBSD/amd64 Desktop station and confused, when driver is not build. Why, for example, ATI driver working on amd64 without "request kernel mods" ? Yours product - not only hardware scheme - it hardware scheme and software driver together, particularly when spec of driver is closed. A strange logic - people's on FreeBSD is not people. i'm abject, feel sorry my money and my time for getting nvidia card. That unserious.
Oleg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 03:40 PM   #339
woefulhc

A couple of days ago while researching configuring my AMD64/nVidia GeForce 7900 system to triple boot, I found a post in the kernel trap archive re: the delay/slowness of getting the required features/functionality into the FreeBSD kernel. I figured I'd share the link. (Post is from 09-DEC-2007)

KernelTrap archive link
GS d- s-: a C+++$ UB++++$L++++$ P+ E- W++ N+ w+ !O M V PS+(--) PE(++)
Y+ PGP++ t+ 5 X+ R+(++) tv(--) b+++ DI++ D G e h(----) r+++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 08:58 AM   #340
Petz

Hey Zander,

Any updates? As your last post was around 2 months ago. Has Nvidia tested or engaged FreeBSD devs regarding the development of these features?

Is this wiki up to date?
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

From what I understand Superpages work by alc@ is done and committed in current (8.0), is that correct? I haven't found anything to verify the work done by Kib@ has been committed though. Can you enlighten us to any work you know of thats in progress etc...?

Will we all have to wait for FreeBSD 8.0 which Release engineering has ear marked for June 2009 at the moment. By the sounds of it the memory features won't get back ported to FreeBSD 7 so I would assume yes?

Regards Jarrod
Petz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 12:23 PM   #341
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I know of one developer actively working on the implementation of the features requested by NVIDIA. Some of this work has made it into 8.x-CURRENT and may be in the process of being backported to 7.x-STABLE. However, some pieces are still missing, blocking driver support. Progress is being made, but I honestly can't tell when 8.x-CURRENT will be ready, nor whether/when 7.x-STABLE might be.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 01:17 AM   #342
Petz

Thanks for the update Zander.

You wouldn't be able to convince that one Developer to post some information here or on the Wiki?
Old 08-16-08, 04:18 PM   #343
zeno0771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petz View Post
Thanks for the update Zander.

You wouldn't be able to convince that one Developer to post some information here or on the Wiki?
+1.
Tired of having to decide between one deal-breaker or another when it comes to a certain OS. Went through it with various Linux distros, discovered how mature PC-BSD is only to find that 64-bit BSD is the ONE OS that doesn't have drivers. I'll do beta-testing on a dedicated machine; I have at least one each of 6, 7, 8, and 9 series cards (even a 7950GX2, and if it works on that it'll work on anything!)
Bring the code!!!
XFX GeForce 9600GT
3x320 Seagate Barracuda 7200
Fedora 8
zeno0771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 12:25 PM   #344
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I sent him an email asking him to update the wiki or this thread.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-08, 05:47 AM   #345
Petz

Thumbs up Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
I sent him an email asking him to update the wiki or this thread.
Thanks for that. Its hard for me to find the current info/progress on these features. I'm sure its would be on some forum or mailing list. But having someone in the know keeping the hordes informed would be good. I just hope your developer contact feels the same way.

@zeno0771, yes PC-BSD is awesome. I have used the last version (1.5) on and off for a while now and like what I see. It was about time BSD got a decent installer like Linux distro's have had for years now. I think the next release of PC-BSD with FreeBSD 7 and KDE 4.1 will be a killer. I am downloading the alpha now to give it a whirl. It would be perfect with a x64 video drivers to go with it . I think I'll stick with the x86 releases until then. As I imagine KDE 4.1 will work much better with hardware acceleration etc.
Old 08-21-08, 12:15 AM   #346
magesh

Smile Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Hello guys,

Here is the status of NVIDIA FreeBSD kernel feature requests. I've listed below the task numbers (from the wiki page http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests) and their current status.

task #1 & #3: Committed into FreeBSD-CURRENT (HEAD).

task #4: Patches for FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE/amd64 are ready (not tested though) and are open for comments from the FreeBSD community.
The patches can be found at http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/freebs...like_interface.
Please note that this set of patches is written to be compiled on amd64 architectures. Once these patches are accepted, other architectures will be updated accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Magesh
magesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 05:31 AM   #347
Petz

Thanks Magesh,

So no news on items 2 and 5 to your knowledge? I'll update the wiki and put numbering in also so its easier to refer to the items listed.
Old 08-25-08, 12:32 PM   #348
woefulhc

Thank you both!

Much of my frustration over the last 18 months or so has been the difficulty of determining the status. (Without knowing the exact questions to ask and which venue to ask them in.) Again, thank you for the update.
GS d- s-: a C+++$ UB++++$L++++$ P+ E- W++ N+ w+ !O M V PS+(--) PE(++)
Y+ PGP++ t+ 5 X+ R+(++) tv(--) b+++ DI++ D G e h(----) r+++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote