Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-08, 09:21 AM   #349
Lom

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Great to hear good news from this topic, thanks to all who developed the necessary code!

Now the questions are:
- How do we get the patch developed in the PCBSD-repository included into the FreeBSD-sourcetree?
- Does the superpages-feature implemented in -CURRENT satisfy the feature-requests from NVidia?

When looking on http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/freebs...ts/nvidia-work it seems there is some more work goin on also on other the other missing features.
Could someone (maybe from PCBSD) give an explanation who and how could test those patches on non-PCBSD FreeBSD-installs and where to submit results? I think it would be much easier to get the FreeBSD-developers to pull in the patches if successful test-results from users can be provided.
Lom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 10:14 AM   #350
xanatose

Just to add myself to the list of people waiting for the amd64 driver on freebsd. I really need freebsd 64 for a project I am doing and I am stuck with the vesa driver at 1024x768. Needless to say it sucks.
xanatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:48 AM   #351
HenryHu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanatose View Post
Just to add myself to the list of people waiting for the amd64 driver on freebsd. I really need freebsd 64 for a project I am doing and I am stuck with the vesa driver at 1024x768. Needless to say it sucks.
You may try the nv driver. Although it's not so good.
HenryHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 02:41 AM   #352
rtch

Just to add another signature to the petition...... just installed 7.1-PRERELEASE (amd64) and I'm appalled that I can't find an nVidia driver for my nice 8600GT.

What's the go, NV? This thread is *ancient* and yet there STILL are no drivers for amd64 under FreeBSD.

DISAPPOINTING! You have a world-class set of workstation cards (the Quadro) and yet when someone wants to use a really robust workstation OS, you slam the door in their face.
rtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 02:48 AM   #353
rtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplephoenix View Post
Or, in corporate speak--- the sooner this driver happens, the sooner you get my $$$.
Just keep that in mind.
Yep, and the sooner I drop cash on a Quadro. This driver is the single item standing between me and a glorious future of linux-free 64bit workstation computing.
Old 09-11-08, 06:34 AM   #354
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtch View Post
What's the go, NV? This thread is *ancient* and yet there STILL are no drivers for amd64 under FreeBSD.
Did you actually read the most recent posts on this thread, where nvidia discusses the features that need to be added to the FreeBSD kernel first? Did you check out the wiki page that lists the status of these features?

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 02:58 AM   #355
spaghetti

Ok I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to get zfs working with the nvidia driver.

I've been very happy up to now with x86 and my 8600 GT but I really need to got to amd64.... I don't mean to be rude posting this on the nv forums but can anybody help me with options for acceptable graphics solutions (any vendor) under amd64?

* dual dvi preferred (1920x1600 and 1600x1200)
* don't need high performance 3D, just accelerated 2D
* prefer passive cooling for the card

I just need a cheap old card that will see me through until the hopefully not too distant future when there is a nvidia for amd64.

thanks
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 06:30 AM   #356
rtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
Ok I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to get zfs working with the nvidia driver.

I've been very happy up to now with x86 and my 8600 GT but I really need to got to amd64.... I don't mean to be rude posting this on the nv forums but can anybody help me with options for acceptable graphics solutions (any vendor) under amd64?

* dual dvi preferred (1920x1600 and 1600x1200)
* don't need high performance 3D, just accelerated 2D
* prefer passive cooling for the card

I just need a cheap old card that will see me through until the hopefully not too distant future when there is a nvidia for amd64.

thanks
Tough one... I have the 8600GT as well and while I can get 2D working with the nv driver, dual-head is a no-go..... maybe for the time being, grab yourself a 2nd card (PCI) and do dual-head that way.... that's what I'm planning on doing until full support for the nvidia driver arrives! Count the days.... ;-)

HTH.

Old 09-22-08, 01:19 PM   #357
mipam

Dear NVIDIA Corporation,

I am very confused, because I changed ATI graphic card to NV. I am running FBSD on AMD64 and I thought (yes, it was my fault...I was hotheaded), that if you provide drivers for FBSD, you automatically provide drivers for both architectures. But you do not. I have 8GB of RAM on my PC and I do not want to install FBSD for x86. Could you tell me please, when a driver for AMD64 will be done?

I also would like to tell you, that your support which you are providing to customers, is very good and I also know, that FBSD is not common OS for workstations, but please, do not ignore your customers as Microsoft or any other companies do!! Try to do it in other better way, please... I am pretty sure, that this phrase "We will do it in other better way" is very common in your management team

Thanks for your kindly support

PS: I spent a lot of money on my new GF9800GX2....!
mipam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 03:21 PM   #358
spaghetti

thanks for the reply rtch.

I've got the nv driver running at 1920x1200 on a single display but it's not accelerated 2D, repainting of anything/windows is slow and lags the system. Am I missing something or is this the best I can get with the nv driver?

thanks
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 11:42 AM   #359
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipam View Post
Dear NVIDIA Corporation,

I am very confused, because I changed ATI graphic card to NV. I am running FBSD on AMD64 and I thought (yes, it was my fault...I was hotheaded), that if you provide drivers for FBSD, you automatically provide drivers for both architectures. But you do not. I have 8GB of RAM on my PC and I do not want to install FBSD for x86. Could you tell me please, when a driver for AMD64 will be done?
Have you checked out the last few pages of this thread? It tells you exactly what needs to be done before nvidia can create an AMD64 driver for FreeBSD.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:09 PM   #360
DrJ

A pox on both your houses. No more nVidia or FreeBSD on the desktop here.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote