Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-08, 09:05 AM   #373
adamk75

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

I never made the claim that you and I said the same thing, just that I didn't see the need to say "their drivers" given the context of this discussion.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 05:00 PM   #374
Cowkid

For FreeBSD user: just amazing and contradiction mail topic, going to heater discussing about Nvidia drivers: http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li.../msg00480.html ;(
Cowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:36 AM   #375
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

The point that people like me make bashing NVidia is not that they didn't provide patches for FreeBSD. That's unfair. Apart from the fact that it's a lot of work nobody it is unlikely that kernel patches that far-reaching written by community outsides would be accepted into the mainline kernel. FreeBSD is not in the habit of having people with no FreeBSD background hack up the VM system.

What people like me bash NVidia for is that the i386 port can live without these features.

What people like me bash NVidia for is that Linux didn't have these features either when it got an AMD64 port of NVidia's drivers.

NVidia just requires more from FreeBSD/amd64 than it ever required for a new architecture port in the past.

In a way, the user's opinion and the public image is being held hostage but implying that this problem is somehow caused by the FreeBSD developers being slackers. This is not an accurate image.

If you want more detail check previous posts of mine. Most of the features still lacking are only required in special circumstances. Also, a lot of people would be very happy with a lower performance driver if it just runs Google Earth if it means we can have it right now. NVidia will not consider such an option. Of course NVidia can make a stand that they offer either a full performance driver or none at all. But they should openly say so, so that people who want "light" 3D such as Google Earth, 3D editors and generally all the OpenSource 3D stuff can form an opinion based on facts, not assumptions.

All this is moot anyway. The progress being made on the various ATI drivers since AMD/ATI started providing hardware documentation is impressive and very soon none of us will have to bother with this anymore. Don't get me wrong, you can't buy a X1650 right now and have it do what you want in FreeBSD/amd64. All I'm saying is that I got a modern ATI card now and check xorg/dri's driver progress on a regular basis. This is a solid project, it will work, and it will work well. NVidia has a well-deserved freight train coming here.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 07:01 PM   #376
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
[...] What people like me bash NVidia for is that the i386 port can live without these features.

What people like me bash NVidia for is that Linux didn't have these features either when it got an AMD64 port of NVidia's drivers.

NVidia just requires more from FreeBSD/amd64 than it ever required for a new architecture port in the past.

[....] If you want more detail check previous posts of mine. Most of the features still lacking are only required in special circumstances.[...]
The FreeBSD/i386 NVIDIA graphics driver is crippled in terms of compatibility, reliability and performance by some of the same kernel limitations that prevent FreeBSD/amd64 support. The driver has no chance of working on a variety of FreeBSD/i386 systems today, and reliability is greatly reduced on others. I expect this will affect a lot more users over time. Performance is a secondary concern.

FreeBSD/amd64 presents a different environment to the driver, (some of) the workarounds employed on FreeBSD/i386 do not work or are insufficient on this platform. As stated before, it is our belief that the NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver stack cannot work reliably on FreeBSD/amd64.

As to Linux and its historical lack of support for features relied upon today: our experience with older and/or broken Linux/x86-64 kernels is possibly the main reason for the feature requests and NVIDIA's position on FreeBSD/amd64 support.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 01:44 PM   #377
Airstrip1

Quote:
Originally Posted by betchou View Post
Thanks for your work guys!

Does somebody know the state for the remaining items 2 and 5?
What about the item 4? The wiki page doesn't seem to be up to date since the magesh's post.

Thanks again, and let's cross our fingers! :P
The wiki page is updated. Now it looks like only item 2 has not yet been started. I hope someone with the knowledge will start working on that as well so we soon can have the long awaited driver.,,
Airstrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 10:42 PM   #378
randi
FreeBSDGirl

Send a message via AIM to randi Send a message via MSN to randi Send a message via Yahoo to randi Send a message via Skype™ to randi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petz View Post
Anyway I stated last time I posted that I would update the wiki. But unfortunatly I haven't been able to do so as it seems that the FreeBSD wiki pages are locked down. Only the creator/owner of the wiki page can grant me author access and after a few emails I have not heard back from them. I guess I could create another wiki page but I would have prefered to edit the existing one.
I should have access to edit this wiki page. What changes are you proposing?
randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 09:33 AM   #379
Gnusix

It seems that a vmap interface has been implemented for AMD64; so only one request is missing right now. Given that, and seeing that xf86-nouveau is trying to be stable (no 3D, but something like 2D and EXA in a near future), I'd like to know which are the plans of nvidia for FreeBSD AMD64. As time goes by, It is becoming more necessary.

Moreover, working with 3G in i386 is enough, but having more would be nicer. I know some posted that disable.mtrrs is a solution, but seems it is not mi case in my Latitude D630.

Greets,

Gus
Gnusix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 04:09 PM   #380
rostyslav

Default FreeBSD-amd64 driver on HP Pavilion Desktop

Ye.. i would like also to see nVidia's driver for FreeBSD AMD64. There is no problem with nVidia dvelopers, there is problem with FreeBSD/PC BSD (AMD64) developers. They should fix the KERNEL problem in FreeBSD/PC BSD (AMD64). PC BSD blows out everyone with it possibilitys... only thing that not done yet - the KERNEL level nVidia support...

Last edited by rostyslav; 03-24-09 at 04:11 PM. Reason: error
rostyslav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-09, 06:49 PM   #381
Gnusix

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver on HP Pavilion Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyslav View Post
Ye.. i would like also to see nVidia's driver for FreeBSD AMD64. There is no problem with nVidia dvelopers, there is problem with FreeBSD/PC BSD (AMD64) developers. They should fix the KERNEL problem in FreeBSD/PC BSD (AMD64). PC BSD blows out everyone with it possibilitys... only thing that not done yet - the KERNEL level nVidia support...
Well, I partly agree with you, some things have to be implemented in order to implement such a driver. But, AFAIK linux doesn't implement all of this functionalities.

Yes I know it has been discused before all of this about linux X86_64 and FBSD AMD64 and the missing functionalities. But now only one funcionality is missing. But I also do know that nvidia people won't wait until all the required funcionalities are implemented; they should beging to work before. Why? Because some kind of planification is required, because maybe some king of driver can be release without using what's missing, because some internal tests must be done (that iteratives processes of specification, design, code, test and let's start it again until something usable appears).

And right now, there's something new. Nouveau people is making progress. Yes, no 3D stuff, but they begin to have usable 2D driver (much better than the nv driver we already have).

Because all of this, it would be nice to have some news from nvidia. Some kind of prevision about the time left, etc ... My laptop with its Quadro is becoming older (it's a D630). And when I buy a new one I will need the maximun amount of memory possible, etc ... leading to use AMD64. Guess what I will do. And please, don't take me wrong, I don't want to sound rude or something.
Old 03-24-09, 08:04 PM   #382
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

There's really nothing NVIDIA can do at this point. As I said earlier, the NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver team is not staffed to take on FreeBSD kernel development work at this time, and it doesn't make sense to speculatively develop for the missing pieces - especially if there's no telling if/when these missing pieces will fall into place (I don't have any information you don't have with respect to this). As stated before, the remaining features (especially the mmap() interface update(s)) are considered prerequisites for a FreeBSD/amd64 driver port. FWIW, I don't think it would take very long to provide a BETA driver for FreeBSD/amd64 if the necessary kernel support was available. As to Linux missing or having missed the requested functionality, please see my last few posts to this thread.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:03 AM   #383
Gnusix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
There's really nothing NVIDIA can do at this point. As I said earlier, the NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver team is not staffed to take on FreeBSD kernel development
I agree with this one. Of course, it is not your duty to developt pieces of the FreeBSD kernel. But as an open source project, you may help the project (as everyone can) and in this particular case, with the mmap interface you request. The last functionality implemented has been done by a guy of the PCBSD project, if I remember well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
As stated before, the remaining features (especially the mmap() interface update(s)) are considered prerequisites for a FreeBSD/amd64 driver port. FWIW, I don't think it would take very long to provide a BETA driver for FreeBSD/amd64 if the necessary kernel support was available. As to Linux missing or having missed the requested functionality, please see my last few posts to this thread.
Then what I can't understand is why Nvidia decided to implement the X86_64 version for linux given that previous post.

Anyway, thank you Zander for your reply.

Greets,

Gus
Old 03-25-09, 08:52 AM   #384
randi
FreeBSDGirl

Send a message via AIM to randi Send a message via MSN to randi Send a message via Yahoo to randi Send a message via Skype™ to randi
Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver on HP Pavilion Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyslav View Post
You do realize that PC BSD is just FreeBSD with a pretty graphical installer and user tools? PC BSD uses the FreeBSD kernel. Quite a few people from PC BSD are also involved in the FreeBSD Project. I'm not sure what you meant by "PC BSD blows out everyone" - the main "possibility" that PC BSD has is leveraging a market that FreeBSD generally doesn't appeal to - end users.

It's still going to use the same kernel, the same drivers, and have the same restrictions and problems regardless of how hard it "blows". :P

If they make any headway with these tasks, they will doubtless send it over to FreeBSD to get it committed.
randi is offline   Reply With Quote