Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-09, 02:24 PM   #385
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnusix View Post
I agree with this one. Of course, it is not your duty to developt pieces of the FreeBSD kernel. But as an open source project, you may help the project (as everyone can) and in this particular case, with the mmap interface you request. The last functionality implemented has been done by a guy of the PCBSD project, if I remember well.
NVIDIA is perfectly happy to work with FreeBSD developers, discuss technical questions and perform/help with testing. We have done so several times in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnusix View Post
Then what I can't understand is why Nvidia decided to implement the X86_64 version for linux given that previous post.
A large percentage of the problems encountered on Linux/x86-64 were due to bugs that could be worked around or were addressed. Some weren't discovered until after the Linux/x86-64 driver had shipped. In either case, the problems were severe in nature and would be guaranteed to occur on FreeBSD/amd64 as-is today. All show-stopper bugs were resolved in one way or another as the Linux/x86-64 platform matured.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 07:25 PM   #386
randi
FreeBSDGirl

Send a message via AIM to randi Send a message via MSN to randi Send a message via Yahoo to randi Send a message via Skype™ to randi
Cool Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
A large percentage of the problems encountered on Linux/x86-64 were due to bugs that could be worked around or were addressed. Some weren't discovered until after the Linux/x86-64 driver had shipped. In either case, the problems were severe in nature and would be guaranteed to occur on FreeBSD/amd64 as-is today. All show-stopper bugs were resolved in one way or another as the Linux/x86-64 platform matured.
I'm a bit amused by all the people that are here complaining about how Linux got it, so FreeBSD should have it as well.

This is a very responsible approach for nvidia to be taking, props. They could just shove something into the wild and tell people to be happy that they got anything at all, but they are trying to not make the same mistakes they made before.

Admittedly, I'm a bit annoyed with my new shuttle - it has a newer GPU that isn't supported by xorg's built in nv driver, so I'm stuck without X until they either fix it or FreeBSD/nvidia start playing well together. Such is life. It's a server, anyways - as the majority of FreeBSD installations are.

Whichever way you want to look at it, FreeBSD isn't really a desktop OS. Yes, there are exceptions to that rule (myself being one of them), but if you think we've got a significant portion of the desktop market compared to Linux, you're kidding yourself. Y'all should be happy that nvidia put the time in to develop a FreeBSD driver at all given that in comparison to Windows/OSX/Linux, we don't have a significant share of their target consumer audience.

Just for the sake of making a point, let's say that the target audience for these drivers are gamers (yes, I'm sure there are a lot of cases where that *isn't* the case, but I don't want this post to be obscenely long). Linux's track record with games is quite a bit better than FreeBSD's. We didn't even have proper support for Cedega (beat tlp for that) back when it was gaining popularity over wine. Even now, we still have far more issues with wine than Linux does. Your average open source gamer weenie (are there that many of us?) probably isn't running FreeBSD.

Those of us that have been running FreeBSD for a while have probably gotten into some sort of OS religious war at some point. I'm willing to bet that you used touted FreeBSD's stability over what Linux has to offer. Do you really want nvidia to push out some shoddy unstable driver? This is what Linux is known for - being "cutting edge" - often so much so that someone ends up bleeding. Want an example? nvidia's 64bit linux driver.

Seriously, why are you people complaining so much? If you want it sooner, submit a friggin' patch already.
randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 03:49 AM   #387
Harri

I would be highly interested in a 64bit driver, too. Memory is getting cheaper every day, so 64bit is the future.

If development resources are an issue, maybe you should consider to stop 32bit development and focus on 64bit only?
Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 11:06 AM   #388
epsilon72
Gentoo User

I'm mostly a linux amd64 user, but am greatly interested in an amd64 freebsd nvidia release as well.
epsilon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 03:30 PM   #389
jbangert

Hey, I would like to have some details about your feature request for mmap(2) interface: What specifcally do you require?: "Cache control" is a bit ambigous - does it refer to actually changing the way pages are handled in L1/L2/L3 caches ? or does it , as I understood it, mean that NVIDIA wants something like Linux "MAP_POPULATE " and "MAP_NONBLOCK" for mmap ( file I/O ) mostly or do you wish to have a syscall/interface to map physical devices/etc ( like devnodes, GPU , pci devices ) into userspace?

If you could give me details, I would attempt to put as much as I can of that feature into my ( 7.1-Release-amd64) FreeBSD so that the drivers can be done ...
jbangert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 04:04 PM   #390
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The most verbose description of this particular request probably still is the one in the original feature request email I sent to freebsd-hackers a long time ago, see e.g. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/016995.html.

What I'm mainly looking for in an improved/extended mmap(2) interface are the following features:
  • the ability for drivers to specify, per mapped region, the effective memory type (i.e. WC, UC, WB, etc.).
  • a single driver callback per mapping request with all relevant context information (i.e. base offset, length, etc.).
  • the ability to complete the mapping request at mmap() time, rather than relying on a fault based approach and device pager interaction.
Old 04-28-09, 08:26 AM   #391
jbangert

Just another question.
How precise does your control over the memory type need be?
Would it be sufficient to just set the no cache flag in the page ( intel recommendation for memmapped I/O devices )or should I add an interface to change the MRTT( memory ranges) , which might be a) causing some bugs, b) disturb other things ( there is an upper limit on the number of MRTT) and might even negatively impact performance ( if the memory type is changed for too much memory)
The flag in the page table however would be just a few lines of code and might be way more reliable...
jbangert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 10:44 AM   #392
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The NVIDIA FreeBSD graphics driver currently uses MTRRs to the degree possible to choose between WB (for system memory mappings), UC (for registers) and WC (for AGP/FB apertures), if possible. However, MTRRs are not flexible enough to support per-page granularity and few in number.

Ideally, the new interface would allow choosing the effective memory type from one of the PAT types recently added and leverage the underlying PAT support code (which provides per-page granularity). Although the mechanisms for this differ on Linux and Solaris, both platforms provide the means to specify the effective memory type mmap()'d region.

Old 04-28-09, 04:55 PM   #393
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

BTW, the effective memory type would be specified by the driver in its mmap() callback, based on previously established state - not by the user-space code via the system call itself.
Old 05-07-09, 02:27 PM   #394
zebdits

Can you look at this?
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/r...p()-Extensions
zebdits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 03:13 PM   #395
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, John made me aware of his work recently. I plan on adding support for the new interface(s) and testing them in the near future.
Old 05-15-09, 12:48 PM   #396
dcornibe

Red face Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Count me in too! I just installed PC-BSD on my 7-year old computer. Runs sluggishly, so I want to buy a new computer (or, the parts and build it myself). I really want to get a 64-bit machine, and I want an nVidia video card because it's the best and most compatible. I see you have 64-bit drivers for Linux but not FreeBSD. It's only a matter of time before FreeBSD (and especially PC-BSD) catches on. I'd really rather have FreeBSD than Linux, since I've read that the BSD kernel is even more stable and Mac OS X is based on it (although I don't want to pay Apple enormous amounts of money for hardware that is lesser-powered and practically non-upgradable (particularly in the iMac and Mac Mini). Anyway, I digress...

Please, please, please, make a FreeBSD AMD64 driver for your nVidia cards. You already have such for Linux, and you have 32-bit ones for FreeBSD. You have the widest assortment of drivers for ANY hardware out there, and I applaud that. Now please, complete the circle and make the 64-bits for FreeBSD!!!
dcornibe is offline   Reply With Quote