Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-09, 09:08 PM   #397
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

@dcornibe: please read the entire thread, NVIDIA's current decision not to support FreeBSD/amd64 has technical, not political reasons. For what it's worth, I'm working with John Baldwin to verify/debug his pending changes and have parts of the NVIDIA FreeBSD graphics driver stack working on FreeBSD/amd64. It will probably be some time before all the pieces fall into place and a BETA driver is released, though.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 02:02 PM   #398
platinummonkey

amd64 NVIDIA driver++

can't wait for the beta

NVIDIA 7600GT FreeBSD 7.2 amd64
platinummonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 10:53 PM   #399
dejamuse

I'm thinking of buying the new Clevo (AVA Direct) monster core-i7 laptop but don't particularly want to use Vista or RHEL Linux.

It's using the Nvidia GTX280M GPU for which no driver seems to exist, though the standard FBSD driver is available for the GTX280, the M version being for laptops (I think ACPI is an issue here).

Willl the current FBSD driver work on the M version?

I'd also like to run in 64bit mode to be able to use more RAM, but Nvidia won't have a 64bit driver for a while yet.

So, if I do use PCBSD (FreeBSD) 64 bit, can I just use the generic VESA driver to get by until a better Nvidia driver is available?

Other than gaming performance, what issues might there be? I'm just doing web development and wanted the most powerful desktop replacement I could buy, so I don't care about game level GPU performance. I'm primarily developing in Drupal which needs a lot of power for speed.

Or maybe I can just do RHEL Linux until PCBSD 64 is available for nVidia.

What time frame can I expect for at least a BETA driver for FBSD-64?
dejamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:36 PM   #400
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dejamuse: the 185.18.10 NVIDIA graphics driver release (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_185.18.14.html) should support this GPU. Provided you are using a recent X.Org server, the vesa driver should work (chances are the nv driver would also work).

As to a BETA driver for FreeBSD/amd64, not all of John Baldwin's recent work has made it into FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and FreeBSD 7.x-STABLE. Until this changes, I can't even speculate as to when a BETA driver might become available.
Old 06-10-09, 02:50 PM   #401
kuroi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
@dejamuse: the 185.18.10 NVIDIA graphics driver release (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_185.18.14.html) should support this GPU. Provided you are using a recent X.Org server, the vesa driver should work (chances are the nv driver would also work).

As to a BETA driver for FreeBSD/amd64, not all of John Baldwin's recent work has made it into FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and FreeBSD 7.x-STABLE. Until this changes, I can't even speculate as to when a BETA driver might become available.
Hi, have John Baldwin made any estimates of when his work will be commited to FreeBSD-CURRENT and will it be in time for FreeBSD-8?
kuroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 02:58 PM   #402
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not aware of an estimated time frame, but my guess is the changes will make it into both the FreeBSD 8 and 7 trees over the next few weeks.
Old 06-17-09, 02:18 AM   #403
iamthevoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcornibe View Post
Count me in too! I just installed PC-BSD on my 7-year old computer.
+1.

I am thinking of upgrading to an ATi when I eventually move beyond 4GB and need to run AMD64.
iamthevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 06:24 AM   #404
Petz

I no longer have a Nvidia card in my main desktop system. But I still watch this eagerly as the features Nvidia want are similar to what other drivers want.

Just posting to say John Baldwin updated the Nvidia feature request wiki ---> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

It looks like all the older items have been completed but three new ones have showed up as "In Progress". I guess someone tried/tested the changes and wants some finer grain control/tuning/features.

Zander could you shed any light on what those feature request are about(the 'Why?' in lay mans terms)? Is this even something Nvidia asked for? Or something alc and jhb saw as being required by other drivers, good to have in addition, easy to implement now that the other stuff is in place?

1. Allow VM objects to be mapped with non-default cache modes
In progress
alc@ / jhb@

2. Add a new OBJT_SG VM object to map arbitrary address ranges
In progress
jhb@

3. Allow mmap() to prefault mappings for OBJT_SG and possibly OBJT_DEVICE
In progress
alc@ / jhb@
Petz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-09, 01:22 PM   #405
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Petz: NVIDIA asked for a set of features to be added to the FreeBSD kernel to make a FreeBSD/amd64 driver port feasible and to get a chance to better support FreeBSD/i386. The wiki page captures quite a bit of the background information, e.g. a link to the original request email: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/016995.html.

The remaining (i.e. "In Progress") pieces implement an alternative mmap() driver interface with the requested feature set.

Like I said earlier, I've worked with John Baldwin to test/debug preliminary snapshots of the new kernel interfaces (against an 8.0-CURRENT snapshot). The NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver stack is now mostly functional on FreeBSD/amd64 with John's changes (native 64-bit and 32-bit OpenGL applications work, for example). It'll likely be a little while before everything falls into place, but a lot of progress has been made in the last month.
Old 06-23-09, 01:45 PM   #406
olivier69

I'm currently using the nouveau driver on -CURRENT/amd64, it works way better than nv on my 8800GT. Just lacking 3D hardware support... but the nouveau guys made fantastic progress, and it's good to see it on FreeBSD. I'm also testing the drm-nouveau-*.patch on http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/.

Quote:
The NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver stack is now mostly functional on FreeBSD/amd64 with John's changes (native 64-bit and 32-bit OpenGL applications work, for example). It'll likely be a little while before everything falls into place, but a lot of progress has been made in the last month.
Really great news ! Thank you zander. I'm seeing the tunnel's end after 27 pages of "+1" and nVidia bashing. Can't wait for a BETA release
olivier69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 10:01 PM   #407
jnr

Quote:
The NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver stack is now mostly functional on FreeBSD/amd64 with John's changes (native 64-bit and 32-bit OpenGL applications work, for example). It'll likely be a little while before everything falls into place, but a lot of progress has been made in the last month.
First of all, that's excellent news!

Now, I'd like to switch to amd64 for better ZFS stability, so is there any chance the amd64 driver will play nicer with larger KVA_PAGES in custom kernels? I can currently run ZFS+nvidia with compiz on 7-STABLE with KVA_PAGES=512, but I see the green video problem someone else noted here in along with a small block of "corruption" that goes away when I move a window over it.

mplayer with -vo x11 is fine.

If it's not something that's known shall I post a thread with a bug-report.sh attachment?

Thanks
jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 11:47 PM   #408
codist

Hello, I just registered to say that I too am very anxious for an nVidia driver for FreeBSD/amd64. I just built a 64-bit system and was saddened when I realized that I couldn't get a 3D driver from nVidia.

Thank you, zander, John, and all the developers at nVidia & FreeBSD Project who are leading this effort!
codist is offline   Reply With Quote