Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-09, 07:02 PM   #469
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

@loveturtle: I've been using FreeBSD 7.2 with various top-of-tree RELENG_7 kernels over the last few weeks to test on that platform (in addition to 8.0-RC, etc.); according to John Baldwin, this is safe to do. FWIW, I haven't had any problems.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 09:09 PM   #470
Harvey Pooka

@loveturtle: It is safe to run a newer kernel on an older base. The concern is with running an older kernel since there is the possibility that the base may require a system call that it lacks. Note: system calls are never removed, so the newer kernel will have all the system calls necessary for the system.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 09:26 PM   #471
sfourman

Just so everyone knows, I can Play World of warcraft in wine on amd64 with the new amd64 beta driver.
You have to chroot wine (and use the identical 32bit driver in the chroot)

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks
sfourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 03:28 AM   #472
Gnusix

Tried it in a brand new i 8.0-RELEASE installation (I'll test it with my laptop as soon as I backup all my system partitions). The only issue was I had to either change lib/Makefile or export X11BASE to /usr/local.

With a Quadro NVS-290 it works fine. I'm running compiz in loose-binding mode and 20 terminals didn't trigger the black wndow bug.

I tried switching from graph mode to terminal mode and back with no problem. Tried logging out from gnome (which kills Xorg and spawns it) without a glitch. Great work.

Regards
Gnusix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 10:18 AM   #473
ReverendRed

@zander: First off, thank you for this wonderful driver. The future of desktop usability of FreeBSD lies in your hands and you did not disappoint us.... You rock!

But: I encounter EXACTLY the same kernel panic problems when shutting down X that rneijdl mentioned before. My setup:

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1 (amd64), GENERIC kernel
Intel E8500 (3.16 Ghz)
4 GB RAM
GeForce G 210 (Gainward), 512 MB DDR2 (VBIOS 70.18.2d.00.00)
Default resolution is 1920x1200.

And, of course, nvidia_load="YES" is in /boot/loader.conf and
/etc/rc.conf looks like this:

Code:
ifconfig_nfe0="DHCP"
keymap="german.iso"
keyrate="fast"
saver="blank"
sshd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
Since several users in different forums told me that they do not have these problems, I suspect either a configuration or a hardware issue.
ReverendRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 12:14 PM   #474
rnejdl

I believe this to be related to ACPI and am testing that theory now. The 3rd crash I got showed that I was stuck within the ACPI subsystem. This has always been a temperamental part of FreeBSD.

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 12:24 PM   #475
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@ReverendRed: I've seen a few reports of this, but I'm not sure what makes or breaks a given configuration, yet. Can you generate/attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file?
Old 12-04-09, 02:57 PM   #476
rnejdl

I am so far unable to test without ACPI enabled as whenever I disable in either my bios or boot loader, then my system won't find my harddrives or much of anything else. Complete opposite of my last system which would just randomly crash with ACPI.

The other thing I saw in my 4th crash was ACPI and preemption so I tried compiling that out of the kernel but that had no effect.

I'm hoping you can point me where you need me to gather any other info. I'll see what I can figure out over the weekend.

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com

Old 12-04-09, 03:17 PM   #477
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@rnejdl: next time you catch the crash in ddb, can you check the register contents (`show reg`)? Also, can you check if the problem reproduces if you start X without the NVIDIA GLX extension module?
Old 12-04-09, 05:01 PM   #478
rnejdl

I commented out GLX in my xorg.conf file. Exited xwindows and about 5 seconds later, crashed. Here's the show reg:

http://www.ringofsaturn.com/CIMG0722.jpg

I hope that helps.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 12-04-09, 05:32 PM   #479
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@rnejdl: thanks, Rusty. Judging from these registers, you're experiencing a problem one of the other NVIDIA Linux graphics driver developers (Aaron) ran into on his test system. It seems that %fs/%gs are being corrupted, but by whom, why and when exactly, we don't currently know.
Old 12-04-09, 09:49 PM   #480
loveturtle

I'm pretty sure ZFS is broken if you have a RELENG_7 kernel and 7.2 userland. That in itself is a pretty nasty problem. I'm sure most things work and maybe some people would never even notice but it's definitely not right.
loveturtle is offline   Reply With Quote