Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-09, 12:19 PM   #493
Gnusix

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

To all that have problems with a Dell D630, I report mine is working normally. I'm using :

Quote:
FreeBSD gusiport 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #3: Wed Dec 9 09:57:39 CET 2009 gus@gusiport:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM amd64
without problems so far. I used the driver with 8.0/RELEASE and worked fine too.

I recompiled all the ports from scratch when moving from i386 to AMD64. Performance is good (don't if better than i386/195.22, didn't try any benchmark). No black windows with loose-binding (with i386 I had those when opening three or four gnome-terminals without tabs).

Moreover I don't get any freeze when logging out. I tried going single-user (with shutdown) and returning to graphic mode, and it worked nice too.

Right now I retrieved my old xorg.conf from my last i386 backup. Xorg works fine with both my old xorg.conf and a new brand xorg.conf generated with nvidia-xconfig.

If you want I can provide my loader.conf and sysctl.conf. I don't know whether they may help or not.
Gnusix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 01:06 PM   #494
ChuckAtkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnusix View Post
To all that have problems with a Dell D630, I report mine is working normally.
I also have a D630 that is having problems with the amd64 driver. How much RAM to each of you have? If my suspicions are correct this is because myself and wonko42 have lots of RAM (4GB or 8GB) and those that have the driver working, Gnusix and rhurlin, have much less (1GB or 2GB).

Can any of you three confirm this suspicion of mine?
ChuckAtkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 03:01 PM   #495
rhurlin
FreeBSD in Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAtkins View Post
I also have a D630 that is having problems with the amd64 driver. How much RAM to each of you have? If my suspicions are correct this is because myself and wonko42 have lots of RAM (4GB or 8GB) and those that have the driver working, Gnusix and rhurlin, have much less (1GB or 2GB).

Yes, you are right. I had to remove 2GB of 4GB one year ago now, because the older nvidia-driver under i386 has had massive problems with 4GB on my D630 (black screen, freeze and reboot). I should try to run on 4GB again. But I have to wait until next week to get my laptop back ;-(

I will report
rhurlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 12:40 AM   #496
Gnusix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAtkins View Post

Well, you're right. In fact right now I'm running with 3Gb of RAM (had 2Gb of memory in my laptop and replaced of the DIMM's with a 2Gb DIMM). I didn't buy two 2Gb DIMM because of the problems with i386 and its memory limitations (and because nvdia doesn't work with PAE).

Right now, because of the Nvidia/AMD64 driver, I was about to purchase another 2Gb DIMM. I'll try to it and then report my results with 4Gb of RAM.

Greets,
Gnusix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 07:23 AM   #497
rnejdl

I am confirming that I was running 4GB... planned to take this to 12GB in the near future. I'll be running the nouveau driver for a while.

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 08:33 AM   #498
wonko42

I am indeed running with 4GB ram. I'll try taking 2GB out later today and reporting on what happens.

-brian
wonko42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 03:57 PM   #499
Harvey Pooka

I just wanted to report that on my custom-built system (Asus P5K-E/WiFi, 4GB memory, 8800GTS) the driver works with FreeBSD 8-STABLE. I tried to make it crash (killing X a lot, switching back and forth between console and X and running various OpenGL applications) without success. This is with the memory remapping option on (I think); it is selected to show 4GB instead of 3.2GB at boot.

Thank you, zander (and team?) and Nvidia!

Now, I am looking for a laptop with an Nvidia card. They seem hard to find or choices are limited. The HP dv6t Quad Edition looks promising.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 05:49 PM   #500
mlobo
Lobo

Just to report my situation.

Machine:

OS: FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0 r198930M: Sat Dec 12 12:49:49 BRT 2009
MB: AOD790GX/128M
VB: nvidia0: <GeForce 9800 GT> on vgapci0
RAM: 8 G
CPU: Phenom 955 black

(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 195.22 Mon Nov 30 14:03:12 posix/SystemV/PST 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs

X: X.Org X Server 1.6.1
KDE: 4.3.3

My first comment is:
THANK YOU, NVIDIA TEAM ! and also the FreeBSD devel guys for providing the mods that allowed this driver to exist. As you can see by my MB spec, it has an on-board radeon HD 3300, which I unceremoniously dumped and ran out for a GeForce as soon as I saw the driver here. The difference in performance, quality and everything else is enormous.

I've got KDE configured with OpenGL composite enabled and everything runs without a glitch.

The only issue I had so far is with virtualbox. If I enable 3D accel for a guest, the host freezes completly. Only the reset button works. I believe this happens because VBox doesn't know (YET) how to deal with the driver's OpenGL interface.

As a test, I started 7 VMs (4 W2K3s, 2 XPs and 1 Linux) and they all came up fine. I could alt+tab with the flip effect through all of them, get in full screen, get out, turn the desktop cube around, all this with perfect graphics and motion.

Here are the configs I am using:

1) loader.conf
# nvidia
kern.ipc.shmseg="1024"
kern.ipc.shmmni="1024"
kern.ipc.semmns="240"
kern.ipc.semmnu="120"
kern.ipc.semume="40"
kern.ipc.semmni="70"

2) .profile
__GL_YIELD=USLEEP
export __GL_YIELD

3) sysctl.conf
kern.timecounter.hardware=HPET

4) rc.conf
ifconfig_re0="inet 10.10.10.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 polling"

5) xorg.conf
Option "RenderAccel" "on"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "on"
Option "DamageEvents" "on"1) loader.conf
# nvidia
kern.ipc.shmseg="1024"
kern.ipc.shmmni="1024"
kern.ipc.semmns="240"
kern.ipc.semmnu="120"
kern.ipc.semume="40"
kern.ipc.semmni="70"

2) .profile
__GL_YIELD=USLEEP
export __GL_YIELD

3) sysctl.conf
kern.timecounter.hardware=HPET

4) rc.conf
ifconfig_re0="inet 10.10.10.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 polling" <-

5) xorg.conf
Option "RenderAccel" "on"
Option "DamageEvents" "on"

I always was a FreeBSD/nvidia user and this driver truly crowns it all up.

Once again (and again),
Thanks to all that made this possible!
mlobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-09, 09:42 AM   #501
wonko42

And it's confirmed. I removed 2GB of RAM and X11 starts right up. Having 4GB RAM is what causes it to not work.

A shame that. I hope that gets fixed soon.

-brian
wonko42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 09:08 PM   #502
Harvey Pooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlobo View Post
Just to report my situation.

*snip*

The only issue I had so far is with virtualbox. If I enable 3D accel for a guest, the host freezes completly. Only the reset button works. I believe this happens because VBox doesn't know (YET) how to deal with the driver's OpenGL interface.
I have not had problems with 3D enabled for a WinXP guest. Which version of VirtualBox are you running? The one in the ports (3.0.51r22902), or the port in subversion (3.1.0)? I run the latter without issues. Of course, it could be related to one of your other settings, but it is just a guess.

In my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Option "BackingStore" "True"
Option "RandRRotation" "True"

/boot/loader.conf:
nvidia_load="YES"
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 05:46 PM   #503
mlobo
Lobo

I'm running the subversion port (3.1.0)

With or without the settings I have, Vbox behavior is the same. The new thing I found out is that:

I enabled Xrender composite in KDE. I tried out every opengl screensaver there is and left each of them running for a while. No freeze at all!.

Then I started a VM (with 3D disabled !), left the VM open and gave another run on the screen savers. On the 5th Saver, the machine froze to reset button point.

Right now I have a VM open, WITH OpenGL composite enabled on KDE and all is well, as long as I keep 3D disabled on the VM. Even thus, there may be a coincidence of events between VBox and OpenGL that, the whole system might freeze for a reason I cant detect because the freeze doesn't let anything be logged.
mlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 11:13 AM   #504
Airstrip1

Thumbs up Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Big thanks Zander. I'm not brand loyal, but when it comes to VGA the choice is between the cards that works (fully). And currently, that means nVidia. One new GTX285 thanks to this .

The driver works fine with my custom i7 system with 12 GB ram. And the linux "emulation" works fine as well. No problem running the 32 bit linux OpenGL game Enemy territory quake wars on FreeBSD x64.
Airstrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote