Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-10, 11:30 AM   #505
rnejdl

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Question for the people with issues, are you running the released version of FreeBSD 8 or the cvs version as I am? I'm curious based on the responses from another thread where that user was able to get nvidia working by back tracking to a specific cvs release after FreeBSD 8 was shipped.

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 08:45 PM   #506
rnejdl

To add to this thread a bit more... I had been using the nouveau driver for last week but the X server would become non-responsive after a day or two of use. The system would work fine, but X would be useless. Even with X dead I still could not get a console prompt. DRM.ko loaded or not made no difference. Only way to clear was to reboot.

So, I removed and am now using the NVIDIA driver and it is worlds apart. Yes, it may dump me when I log out of X eventually, but I don't usually do that except when I install a new NVIDIA driver. I've had 3 VM's running and not a bit of an issue.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 01-19-10, 05:37 AM   #507
rikrose

Given that some people have working configurations with over 4 gig of RAM, there's something that allows it to work. I wonder if there's a commonality amongst the motherboards. I saw there was one reported working on an Asus motherboard. Anyone else have it working with more than 4 gig, and if so, which motherboard (make and model) are you using?
rikrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 01:32 PM   #508
jnr

I'm using 8GB with no problems on a GA-P35-DS3L.
jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 02:00 PM   #509
rnejdl

I'm running the Asus P6T Deluxe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131403

It fails with either 4GB or 12GB of memory on log out of KDE 4. I have the kernel debugger compiled into the kernel. I'm also using AHCI to use NCQ for my Sata drives.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 01-19-10, 02:14 PM   #510
rikrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnejdl View Post
I'm running the Asus P6T Deluxe:
Damn. So am I. I'm using the V2, but I'm not expecting a great difference.
Old 01-19-10, 02:48 PM   #511
rnejdl

Well, please give it a try though. Maybe there's a difference in firmware or something else I'm doing with AHCI or APIC that's causing this.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 01-19-10, 06:52 PM   #512
rikrose

Wow. Well, that's a quite spectacular fail. It won't even mount the root device and so can't boot properly to test if the graphics would work.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with Core i7 920 processor. 12 gig of RAM as 6 x 2 gig sticks. Storage is 4 x 1TB drives. Kernel is 8.0-RELEASE GENERIC kernel, with gmirror, opensolaris and zfs modules loaded. My root filesystem is UFS2, mirrored to another disk in case of failure using gmirror. /usr and /var are then mounted over the top by the remaining space as ZFS.

The failure I am experiencing is that for some reason the kernel can no longer find the root device, and is failing to load the VFS.

Tomorrow, I shall use the rescue disk and under what's been done... somehow...

Old 01-19-10, 07:26 PM   #513
rnejdl

Ok, your system is almost identical to mine. Same basic motherboard, same processor (I have mine overclocked to 3Ghz), same memory configuration.

I'm not using ZFS or gmirror. I had a complete fail last night but found that mine was related to installing the video4bsd kernel module which caused a complete crash on boot. Thank goodness I had the kernel debugger compiled in.

So, the only thing you did was to add that kernel module and it crashed on boot? That doesn't make sense. My system won't find my harddrive if I disable ACPI/APIC or if I boot in safe mode or if I disable ACPI on boot. Any of this ringing a bell? I just can't believe you had such a complete failure.

Let me know if you can chat later tonight (IRC/AIM/SKYPE)?

Rusty Nejdl
Old 01-20-10, 02:19 AM   #514
rikrose

I'm in the IRC channel, but I'm not in the US, so I'm a few hours ahead of you. I did that test last thing before I went to bed.
Old 01-20-10, 05:13 PM   #515
rikrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikrose View Post
Wow. Well, that's a quite spectacular fail. It won't even mount the root device and so can't boot properly to test if the graphics would work.
This here, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of WHY NOT TO WORK ON YOUR SYSTEM AT 1AM.

The actual problem was that some idiot[1] enabled sound by doing 'echo snd_hda_load="YES" > loader.conf' earlier in the day, without a reboot. Nvidia module was appended and then I rebooted. Of course it didn't mount the root filesystem - there was no geom_mirror_load="YES"
in the loader.conf.

I've loaded X, run a 3D screensaver, and quit, then waited a minute. No crash. No panic. I started X back up again, and it's still working. Looks like I'm a lucky one.

Now.. what's different about my system to others?

[1] Me.
Old 01-20-10, 06:08 PM   #516
rnejdl

From our chat in IRC, you have an 8800 GT while I have a GT220 card. I will be trying a 9600 sometime to see if that's different.

Rusty Nejdl