Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-05, 12:34 PM   #49
rinthos

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

quote:
---
I guess ignorance *really* is bliss. You obviously havent tried. I have spoken to people that have gotten an Ati Radeon 92XX AGP cards to work in FreeBSD AMD-64 in hardware accelerated OpenGL mode "perfectly" . Have you even looked in the FreeBSD AMD64 forums? I know you haven't.

Duh? Guess what I am doing now? Returning my 6600GT and going to purchase an ATI.

Instructions for ATI Cards Only: Install DRI, and the following is necessary in your kernel configuration:

---

Ok I will be more specific. Ati Radeon 9500series, 9600series, 9700 series, 9800series, x300 series, x600 series, x700 series, x800 series (and all mobile variants) have -no- 3d support in FreeBSD and Ati has no plans to support any of them for. For "older" cards (9200 or prior) you can get 3d support to function via the Dri (opensource) drivers.
Sorry for my lack of clarification.

Regarding my initial comment about the number of people requesting nvidia to support amd64 for freebsd, I was ->Not saying<- "don't voice it to nvidia", I was trying to imply that you should demonstrate the number of people with such a demand. Obviously this forum isn't home to that many FreeBSD amd-64 users. I'm sure there are more out there, many of whom are likely unaware of the consideration of the drivers.
If you want Nvidia to make a business decision in your favor, your best bet would be to 'gather' the FreeBSD amd64 users out there and get some further encouragement from them, as 40 people here (as previously stated) is one tiny market.
---
rinthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 10:56 AM   #50
lemone

I finally jumped through all of the hoops to register. I hope you're not only looking at the 40+ posts to this thread, because there are also 2700+ views. That demonstrates considerable market demand for a 64-bit FreeBSD driver.

Don't underestimate your non-windoze geek customers. We can have a huge impact on the swing of the market. If ATI came out with full 64-bit FreeBSD support tomorrow, there would be a few thousand BSD customers switching to ATI and screaming at their windows friends to switch also. Who do those people listen to more, the PC Gamer ads or their geek friend down the street that does "magical" things with his/her BSD box? Ok, the magazine ads probably, but we can still have an influence.

Maybe a amd64 FreeBSD mailing list petition would help....

btw, how does the ATI 3D work on 64-bit FreeBSD? I've seen people switching on the bsdforums, but I can't imagine how well it works.
lemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 06:55 AM   #51
himiq

Dear nVIDIA Developers!

I'm also bought the GeFogce 6600 GT (PCIE) adaptor for my desktop based on AMD64 CPU.

I'm was disappointed due to absent the driver for this nice Adaptor/Platform.

Please, take into consideration my oppinion - DRIVER NEED for FreeBSD-5.x/amd64!
As I seen - I'm not aloone. : ))
himiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 04:12 AM   #52
Ponder_Stibbons

Amd64 support for FreeBSD would be very helpful.
Freeing the source would be perfect so porting to other BSDs is much easier
Ponder_Stibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 10:12 AM   #53
Mike Harvey

Just adding another request for nforce4 chipset drivers for FreeBSD/AMD64.

I am assuming that the graphics drivers are supported in the ADM64 environment since the README doesn't say it won't work.

If they are not supported then consider this a request for support.

I'm sure that Christian Zander and Matthew Dodd will be working on porting the drivers to the AMD64 environment.

We shall wait patiently.
Thanks for the efforts.
Send me a note if more pizza or beer are needed!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 12:37 PM   #54
Radea

NVIDIA support for alternate OSs is outstanding but a 64bit FreeBSD driver is nessecary. Another request here, currently running FBSD 32bit.
Radea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 11:42 AM   #55
Evangel

I also want a FreeBSD amd64 driver. I really dont want switch back to Linux x86_64. Please do FreeBSD amd64 support....
Evangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 06:25 PM   #56
joeld

Still no FreeBSD AMD64 drivers? I have a AMD64 3200+ with an Geforce 6600GT, and I really need them right now...

There are plenty of users out there that wants these drivers. Please, put an end to our sufferings!
joeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-05, 10:58 PM   #57
BigMadDrongo

Yet another "me too" request for AMD64 drivers for FreeBSD. Got a 6800GT, at least in part because of Nvidia's relatively strong support for other OSes than Windows... shame I seem to have hit a combination that's too obscure even for them
BigMadDrongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:53 AM   #58
laxflier

Another request for FreeBSD on amd64. I purchased an NVIDIA card because of the native drivers. How hard would it be to port over the solaris 64 drivers?
laxflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 01:35 PM   #59
AVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
Consider this another customer request . It would be really nice to have an amd64 driver for FreeBSD, and it's a shame that we have to keep running the i386 version of FreeBSD on our amd64 machines just to use the nvidia driver.
AVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 06:36 AM   #60
ckarg

As soon as nVidia releases the FreeBSD-amd64 driver, I'll be out buying a new top-of-the-range nVidia card. My current graphics setup (ATI 9200SE+DRI) is trying as hard as it can, but its not keeping up with the rest of the machine (Dual Opteron 248, 2G RAM, ....).
ckarg is offline   Reply With Quote