Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-05, 06:26 PM   #61
lemone

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

I have an amd64 based machine, as stated earlier, and FreeBSD is my platform of choice. I would like to get into the 6000 series cards, but I'm still waiting for that driver.
lemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 07:28 PM   #62
sn00kie

And another request for these drivers.
nVidia: You've produced FreeBSD ia32 drivers and Linux amd64 drivers. It should be a total no-brainer to produce FreeBSD amd64 drivers. What's taking so long to get them done? It's not like FreeBSD on amd64 is going to go away any time soon.
sn00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 07:55 PM   #63
Airstrip1

I'm also missing x86_64 drivers for FreeBSD....
Airstrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 01:07 PM   #64
birdpup

Thumbs down Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
It is extremely disheartening to see that no progress has been made towards FreeBSD drivers over the last 6 months. I have been stating on Anandtech forums for the last two months that nVidia provides FreeBSD drivers while ATI does not, only to find out that nVidia has no plans to invest in amd64 FreeBSD drivers. Has nVidia not noticed all their nForce4 chipset and GeForce 6xxx GPU sales? The hottest systems right now consist of this arrangement for use in AMD64 systems. NVidia made an excellent decision to support the x86 version of FreeBSD and this was the whole reason I purchased my current system with the nForce4 chipset and GeForce 6xxx GPU. I expected nVidia to continue with their commitment towards excellence. The current outcome is unexpected and saddening. I am not able to support a company that does not support its users.

Someone earlier mentioned that ATI users have been able to get their 64 bit hardware to work. I see I now have a new recommendation for the Anandtech forums, which is entirely based on someone's poor decision in nVidia.

Where is the support? I thought this was a world class company and am very disappointed. I need to be more careful with my product recommendations in the future.

As stated on the FreeBSD hardware compatibility list for amd64: http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd...herboards.html

The Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with the VIA K8T800 chipset is fully functional. Rather than blindly believe in nVidia's commitment to its customers, I will now have to be more careful in the future and give my consideration and purchasing power to the companies that deserve it most. NVidia is no longer such a company for me.

Last edited by birdpup; 06-27-05 at 01:33 PM.
birdpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 10:44 PM   #65
imachine

Wink Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Registered freshly, mr. Zander You can surely take this as another user request :-) i am about to purchase a new machine for myself so the impact of this request is rather small, however the plans are to get and amd64 with Nvidia since they are the only ones that have yet shown interest in FreeBSD, which btw we are all surely very thankful for. so keep up the good work nvidia! and good luck hopefully seeing that driver SOON ;}

cheers [;
imachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 11:58 PM   #66
Markischatz

Fear nVIDIA-People,

consider this as yet another post of someone who bought amd64 hardware with nVidia graphics-card who is waiting for a driver. I know you can do it, please don't ignore us (
Markischatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 02:57 PM   #67
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Would it be possible to make a medium-peformance version of the drivers, where that version has one binary core that can be used both in Linux and FreeBSD with different source wrappers?

In addition to enabling FreeBSD this would also be more robust against Linux kernel changes.

I don't know what kind of performance drop we are talking here if we don't use anything too fancy from the binary core of the driver. But hey I have a 6800 Ultra which is at least 4 times as fast as it would need to be for the 3D stuff I do in FreeBSD.

So even if the performance of such a driver version is only 1/4th of the fully optimized driver it would still be worth it for me.

%%

In addition to 3D performance there are more factors why I would want a real driver on FreeBSD/amd64:
- TV-out
- dual-head
- power management

You see right now when I boot my multiboot AMD64 machine into FreeBSD it takes up quite a bit more power than in Linux. It always takes up the full power as if X11 in Linux would not be up, whereas in Linux the moment X11 starts PM kicks in and power consumption drops considerably.

%%

For a long time now I have been loudy cheering nVidia and bashed ATI for their lousy drivers. But alas, things are never standing still. Nowadays it looks like this:

- the ATI 2D opensource drivers do at least support dualhead (and TV?)

- FreeBSD/amd64 was an obscure platform, but it is not anymore. So now NVidia is skipping a non-obscure platform

- NVidia dropped support for very old cards. The fact that they were committed to support every card was a major factor in my positive impression. And don't tell me these old cards are useless, they can make fine dualhead cards - at least they could with the level of the 2D OpenSource drivers from ATI
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 10:48 AM   #68
Marcin Komar

I have recently bought ACER ASPIRE 1525WLMi notebook with
AMD 64 processor and NVidia GeForce FX Go 5700 [NV36] graphics card.
I'm using FreeBSD 6 i386 on this machine.
The only reason i'm not switching to the amd64 version of FreeBSD is the lack of the amd64 graphics card for this platform. Please provide it for Your customers. I have always used NVidia products. Please prove You are worth Your faithful customers!
Marcin Komar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-05, 04:17 PM   #69
raul_assis

NVIDIA PLEEEASE !!! Make available drivers for amd64 NOW 6 months have already passed since i386 drivers are available for FreeBSD! Why is taking so long??
raul_assis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 11:04 PM   #70
sarumont

$requests++;

I'd love to see an nVidia driver for 64-bit FreeBSD. That's the only thing keeping me on Linux full time at the moment (even though the nvidia driver is broken on my system, too).
sarumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 02:29 AM   #71
clash rocker

Here's an interesting thread on FreeBSD Questions that might shed some light on the NVIDIA AMD64 drivers.
clash rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 11:33 PM   #72
linuxnewb

I would like to this thread.

request++

I really hope NVidia considers making an amd64 FBSD Driver. The only reason I have not switched from Linux amd64 to FBSD amd64 is because of lack of nvidia driver support for my nforce 3 chipset and more importantly my NVidia GFX card.

I would like to also request that nvidia open source thier drivers.
linuxnewb is offline   Reply With Quote