Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-05, 05:52 AM   #157
Sgt_Pitt

Default Re: Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJensen
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_everquest2_home.html

EverQuest II

Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment
Genre: RPG / MMO
Multiplayer: Internet
Recommended GPU: GeForce 6 Series
Release Date: Available Now
Official Website

EverQuest II returns to the rich and culturally diverse world of Norrath. Users will be able to select from a wide variety of both new and old races, as well as an exciting new class system when creating their character. Significant improvements to combat, spell and quest mechanics promise to immerse players even more so than the original. In addition to the new mechanics, users will be able to own real estate, participate in and conduct gladiatorial and theatrical events, as well as have the ability to command horses, ships and other such modes of transport. At release, players will be able to equip thousands of items and encounter hundreds of unique creatures, all within a world so large that it literally eclipses the original Norrath in size.
err whats this got to do with stuttering ?
Old 01-27-05, 06:34 AM   #158
PeterJensen

Sgt_Pitt : Nothing, but i remember that nvidia showed Everquest 2 as promoting the SM 3.0 tech. Makes one wonder why its running SM 1.1...
Old 01-27-05, 06:54 AM   #159
ChrisRay

Nvidia always reccomends its latest GPUS at nzone Pete, Its nothen new. Once there new cards come out. I will bet you dollars to pesos that will change to the next card
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 07:23 AM   #160
Zelda_fan

Man, I have some advice for you guys. Switch over to World of Warcraft (runs greta on a 6800), and Sony will get the message if enough people drop.

I haven't played EQ2 yet, but I am gald that when I play I worry about playing the game not how will my system perform.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 07:55 AM   #161
faraday

Congratulations. you just won the worthless post award of the day.

Don't you think that playing the game before would be a rather nice ideia? despite of what people tell you.

EQ2 and WoW are both good games. imho
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 07:57 AM   #162
PeterJensen

ChrisRay : I just bought the game yesterday Will install it today. I thought it used SM 3.0
Old 01-27-05, 08:47 AM   #163
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday
Congratulations. you just won the worthless post award of the day.

Don't you think that playing the game before would be a rather nice ideia? despite of what people tell you.

EQ2 and WoW are both good games. imho
Now if my post was that worthless, then what would that make your post?

I'm not trying to start any "oh this game's better than that" flame. EQ2 could be a very good game as far as gameplay goes, and I imagine since it is so popular that it is infact, a good game. What I can be sure of however, is the that EQII stutters like mad on a 6800 card. I don't know about you, but I find it very difficult to enjoy a game that stutters and chokes. Before I bought either game, I sat down and read the nvforum comments on them, and my decision to buy warcraft was based on the main reason that it didn't stutter, and you could concentrate on having fun with the game rather than dealing with a stutter. That's all I was trying to point out.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 08:49 AM   #164
PeterJensen

I just want SM 3.0

Old 01-27-05, 10:16 AM   #165
Ronin
Hardware is my hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJensen
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_everquest2_home.html

EverQuest II

Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment
Genre: RPG / MMO
Multiplayer: Internet
Recommended GPU: GeForce 6 Series
Release Date: Available Now
Official Website

EverQuest II returns to the rich and culturally diverse world of Norrath. Users will be able to select from a wide variety of both new and old races, as well as an exciting new class system when creating their character. Significant improvements to combat, spell and quest mechanics promise to immerse players even more so than the original. In addition to the new mechanics, users will be able to own real estate, participate in and conduct gladiatorial and theatrical events, as well as have the ability to command horses, ships and other such modes of transport. At release, players will be able to equip thousands of items and encounter hundreds of unique creatures, all within a world so large that it literally eclipses the original Norrath in size.

NOTHING here mentions SM3.0. Huge leap on your part?

As far as you people thinking the code is that easy to get to, it's not. Customization on the front end has NO bearing on optimization on the back-end (whether it be PS changes, or codepath changes to say what renders what).
FX60 @ 3.09GHz - XP120 w/Panaflow M1A :: Armor V8000 Black :: K8N Diamond Plus :: 2x1GB G.Skill PC4000 :: eVGA 8800GTX :: 1 80GB Raptor (Boot) :: 2x250GB T7K250/2x160GB WD SE Striped :: 2x160GB Raptors Striped :: 2x750GB Seagates Striped :: Pioneer A09/Pioneer BDR-101AS :: X-Fi Elite Pro :: Gigaworks S750 :: Seasonic S12-600 :: G7/MS Natural KB Elite :: 2405FPW
----------------------
AQ3 - 182496 :: 2k6 - 13723 :: 2k5 - 18857 :: 2k3 - 37045 :: 2k1 - 57357
nVIDIA Global Forum Moderator :: LV2Go Forum Moderator
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 01:21 PM   #166
PeterJensen

Well i dont think im the only one here that remembers Nvidia showing of Everquest 2 on a
6800....I think it was at the lunsh of the 6800. "look a new MMRPG that supports SM 3.0".
Well i got the game installed now and it runs great. No stutter. But i miss the SM 3.0 fuss nvidia talked about, and yes they did back then.
Old 01-27-05, 05:31 PM   #167
Downside

Quote:
As far as you people thinking the code is that easy to get to, it's not. Customization on the front end has NO bearing on optimization on the back-end (whether it be PS changes, or codepath changes to say what renders what
Um, it's program code, its as easy to get to as opening whatever dev tool was used to create it and accessing the source code or objects. Writing that code might require some skill, but getting to it certainly don't.

On the performance issue, I do think it has improved recently. I've never had the stutering problem, other than thrashing from the memory leak after time, so I have no idea as to that, but the frame rate does seem to have improved somewhat.
Downside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 07:42 PM   #168
Ronin
Hardware is my hobby...

You're wrong, but thanks for trying, and you totally misunderstood what I said to begin with.

What's being talked about a fundamental code change, and it's not just a change on one level, but several.

How do I know? I work for a game developer.
FX60 @ 3.09GHz - XP120 w/Panaflow M1A :: Armor V8000 Black :: K8N Diamond Plus :: 2x1GB G.Skill PC4000 :: eVGA 8800GTX :: 1 80GB Raptor (Boot) :: 2x250GB T7K250/2x160GB WD SE Striped :: 2x160GB Raptors Striped :: 2x750GB Seagates Striped :: Pioneer A09/Pioneer BDR-101AS :: X-Fi Elite Pro :: Gigaworks S750 :: Seasonic S12-600 :: G7/MS Natural KB Elite :: 2405FPW
----------------------
AQ3 - 182496 :: 2k6 - 13723 :: 2k5 - 18857 :: 2k3 - 37045 :: 2k1 - 57357
nVIDIA Global Forum Moderator :: LV2Go Forum Moderator
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote