Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-05, 10:24 AM   #193
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

Default Re: Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

when soe will look that wow is getting x times their numbers of copy sold and online users, maybe they will understand that something in this game is wrong if they will lose against wow even having the biggest mmorpg brand name in the earth that is Everquest..
Old 01-29-05, 10:26 AM   #194
Downside

Ronin, I understand application design just fine, I've been doing it for years, and while I don't code any 3d engines or game logic, I've spent enough time staring at code to know a thing or two.

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear, actually.

You have people bitching and moaning about things they don't know a damn thing about, from graphics/gaming engines to card designs. It's typical, actually, for people to complain about what they don't know about, because if they did, they'd understand better exactly what's going on.

All you whiners that don't know anything, do the rest of us a favor that do and pipe down.
First off, a public message board isn't just for the know-it-alls. While I'm sure you would love to have a forum to come and impart us all with your vastly superior knowledge, and have no one question it, probably not goint ot happen. If you have information to share, other than telling everyone how stuipid they are, and that they should all just shut up, feel free. But if your just here to troll and insult people, maybe you should be the one who pipe's down.

Hears what I do "know", without resorting to saying "ohh I work for X so I know better than you. Considering you have never posted anything to show any kind of technical skill, you could be the janitor at broderbund for all we know. But I Forgot, we're supposed to take your word for it on everything you say. For some reason you remind of me of the Wizard of Oz.

1. EQ2's graphics engine had a percieved major performance problem on a large number of 6x00 graphics cards owners. Not everyone who had a 6800 had the problem or if they did, didn't notice it, but it was there for many. This is most likely caused by the cpu being overloaded compared to the gpu when rendering geometry.

2. EQ2 also had a stuttering problem for some, also not for everyone, but for many.

3. EQ2 had the TWIMTBP logo on it, when it in fact runs BETTER on ATI's hardware. Lumped into this you could put the SOE statements saying how EQ2's graphics engine was designed for the future, and no current video card can run it at full detail, well guess what, no card of tomarrow is going to either if the overall performance is bottlenecked by the cpu at such a low level. And no engine optimized for the future would be runing PS1.1, simply becuase NV and ATI don't tweak thier drives or thier hardware pipeline designs to improve PS1.1 processing speed, since pretty much every game out there that runs exclusively in PS1.1 mode is already plenty fast. Feel free to point out any other current game engines hamstrung in such a way.

4. SOE had an abysmal response considering all these people are paying customers, with ongoing montly subscription costs. The official forum thread got hardly any response at all, and when it did, it just made things worse.

5. Other game developement studio's doing cutting edge graphics engines don't seem to have hit some kind of roadblock with their engines that caused them to hamstring it's performance by loading the cpu with geometry processing while letting the gpu twiddle half it's pipelines doing jack and squat. So either someone there made a bad decision, or they lack knowledge and/or skill

6. Whille your origional post indicating that ChrisRay should have gone to SOE and NVidia first with his findings, so they could start work on a PR statement to spin the information's release in thier favor initially makes you like like you work for SOE, or possibly NV, your subsequent posts have pretty much ruled that out, since I can't imagine anyone working for those two companies would be dumb enough to troll on a message board like you have and insult it's customers. If you are trying to advocate for SOE or NV, your doing a terrible job at it.

I guess you would adhere to the ingorance is bliss concept when it comes to keeping customers happy.

Hat's off to ChrisRay who pulled the curtain back, so to speak.
Downside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 01:01 PM   #195
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
I've said my peace. I doubt anyone who falls into the category I've already lined up cares, but the people that understand exactly what's being suggested realize the fix/change is not a simple one, and that the fix isn't one (changing from PS 1.1 to 2.0, for example, will not change the issues they are experiencing, nor will changing the line from CPU processing to GPU processing).

The short answer is this. Things are handled the way they are for a reason. Question it all you like, but it's up to SOE to respond. Complain all you like, but I'm going to bet you won't get an answer. Must people always have an answer all the time? Accept things as they are, and move on, or figure out how those of us that have 6800's (several, in fact, in my case) can play flawlessly, so that you can, too.

I'm done with this topic, as I simply can't handle the idiocy anymore.

or just quit paying for a unfinished product and put people like you out of a job.
Old 01-29-05, 02:24 PM   #196
Blacklash
8^9^3

Well I certainly was not suggesting PS 2.0 or SM 3.0 would "fix" EQ II. I was merely suggesting it would be nice for a card that I paid over 500 bones for to use the more advanced tech more often. I distinctly remember hearing rumors being circulated that EQ II would implement SM 3.0 tech. Now they could have just been unwarrented BS.

I am starting to believe in the consumers that push the idea of buying the last generations best thing are onto something, when you consider money spent and performance had. Or as an alternative buying the high end "main stream" card. Like a 6800 or 6600 GT.

I am willing to learn and willing to take correction, and not willing take verbal abuse offering no opportunity for either.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 02:59 AM   #197
MaLk^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Man, I have some advice for you guys. Switch over to World of Warcraft (runs greta on a 6800), and Sony will get the message if enough people drop.

I haven't played EQ2 yet, but I am gald that when I play I worry about playing the game not how will my system perform.
OMG!

Nice and productive answer to a thread discussing slolutions to an existing problem.
MaLk^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 03:01 AM   #198
MaLk^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downside
Um, it's program code, its as easy to get to as opening whatever dev tool was used to create it and accessing the source code or objects. Writing that code might require some skill, but getting to it certainly don't.

On the performance issue, I do think it has improved recently. I've never had the stutering problem, other than thrashing from the memory leak after time, so I have no idea as to that, but the frame rate does seem to have improved somewhat.
Then maybe its just me that has gotten better at tweking the settings
MaLk^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:09 PM   #199
Anker Steadfast

After considering the aspects of how the graphics engine of EverQuest II works, I've been thinking about what CPU would be the best.

Obviously it'll need a lot of RAM access, since so much is worked there, and a big 2nd level cache would be good as well. Most likely it would need a fast front side bus too.

Sounds like the latest P4 Extreme Edition would fit perfectly.
They have a Socket 775 version that runs 1066 MHz FSB and has a solid 2 MB L2 cache.
Add in a nice Raid harddrive and overclock the CPU slightly (if you can) and it should yield some great FPS in EQ II on pretty much any of the newer graphics cards.

Thoughts and ideas ?

btw : Did ChrisRay do all his tests with the same CPU ?
Anker Steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:12 PM   #200
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

The P4 EE has 2 mb of L3 cache, not L2. In that regard it still only has 512 kb.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-05, 01:44 PM   #201
Anker Steadfast

Ack .. you are right.

Still, should be good for this particular game I'd think.
Old 01-30-05, 05:36 PM   #202
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker Steadfast
After considering the aspects of how the graphics engine of EverQuest II works, I've been thinking about what CPU would be the best.

Obviously it'll need a lot of RAM access, since so much is worked there, and a big 2nd level cache would be good as well. Most likely it would need a fast front side bus too.

Sounds like the latest P4 Extreme Edition would fit perfectly.
They have a Socket 775 version that runs 1066 MHz FSB and has a solid 2 MB L2 cache.
Add in a nice Raid harddrive and overclock the CPU slightly (if you can) and it should yield some great FPS in EQ II on pretty much any of the newer graphics cards.

Thoughts and ideas ?

btw : Did ChrisRay do all his tests with the same CPU ?

All on an athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz. I have recently replaced my CPU though.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 12:26 PM   #203
Anker Steadfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
All on an athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz. I have recently replaced my CPU though.
Ooo ... do tell, was it much of an improvement in EQ II ?
Old 01-31-05, 03:55 PM   #204
Nuvian

annoying paying 500 bucks for a new card 2 find out i could have spent 150 bucks insted,thats my main issue with this,the graphics are fine,so i dont care about that,but whats the point spending alot of cash on this card if the game run aswell with a 9800pro?
Mem:OCZ DDR2 2048MB Platinum XTC
GPU:POV GeFORCE 8800GTX
PSU:Seasonic S12 600W
Sound:X-Fi Xtreme Fatal1ty Prof
Screen:BenQ FP241W

Last edited by Nuvian; 01-31-05 at 04:08 PM.
Nuvian is offline   Reply With Quote