Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-05, 05:50 PM   #73
Downside

Default Re: Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

If NVidia puts thier way its meant to get played logo on it, it's on them as well. Part of that program is they are supposed to provide technical resources to the dev's to get the product working as best it can on NV hardware.

Is the problem in SOE's code? Probably, but two month's with no fixes tells me that it's not getting the attention it needs from either party. NV should be putting serious pressure on SOE to get it straitened out, or pull the TWIMTBP logo from the product.
Downside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:26 AM   #74
MaLk^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
I ma having no issues at all playing at 1600x1200..on very high quality except water turned down..even in queynos harbor where my 2 room apt is..it runs pretty smooth..
Excuse me for finding that a bit hard to believe!

Very high is meant for video cards with 512 Mb or more, so that you can play without any issues even in QH i think is a bit unlikely, you must have turned something other than the water down!
MaLk^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:34 AM   #75
|MaguS|

There is a difference between having issues with the game and low performance. I myself have ZERO technical issues with the game. I nolonger crash and I never had the stutter problem others had. Im not getting 60FPS and my FPS does drop when there are many NPC's or im in town but these are performance drops due to my settings being higher then recommened. If I wanted I could lower the settings and play with high FPS all the time, by why do that just so I can get high FPS in a town when I don't need High FPS? Nothing happens in a town and im there so rarely that its pointless.

Chopping up do to the game loading is not the same as stuttering, stuttering is the game locking up for acouple seconds for no apperent reason. This happens to people when there the only one on screen and just standing there, thats stuttering. Dips in performance are not, these are the game stressing your hardware.

BTW, Extreme Quality is for 512MB Cards. I play at 1600x1200 @ High Quality, just fine with acouple dips in FPS in towns (like I said earlier) but when in any other area, I can group and run around smooth as butter.
Old 01-13-05, 11:57 AM   #76
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLk^
Excuse me for finding that a bit hard to believe!

Very high is meant for video cards with 512 Mb or more, so that you can play without any issues even in QH i think is a bit unlikely, you must have turned something other than the water down!

I do get performance drops here and there especially in the city when lots of people on the screen...but really not that bad at all..tolerable..and great for the graphics.

Does it run smooth as butter? Like Doom3..no...but it is a MMORPG...a lot more going on there...most of the perforamnce drops i get is due to only having 1 GB ram and swapping to hard drive...

all acceptable for me...the graphics are just so stunning for me that I can deal with drops here and there in city since i am not really fighitng there anyway.

everyone has different tolerances for performance...but to me none of these are issues...just limitations of my hardware..
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 02:05 PM   #77
Ghosthunter

well i made a mistake after looking at the eq2 article here..i realized I did tune it as well...I turned off flora and shadows. Main reason for flora..so easier to see nodes when harvesting...and shadows...was a huge performance hit, and IMO shadows not greatest in game worth having the hit for.

either way i am still extrmeely happy with performance and image quality is still the best for a MMORPG.
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 01-13-05, 02:14 PM   #78
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
I do get performance drops here and there especially in the city when lots of people on the screen...but really not that bad at all..tolerable..and great for the graphics.

Does it run smooth as butter? Like Doom3..no...but it is a MMORPG...a lot more going on there...most of the perforamnce drops i get is due to only having 1 GB ram and swapping to hard drive...

all acceptable for me...the graphics are just so stunning for me that I can deal with drops here and there in city since i am not really fighitng there anyway.

everyone has different tolerances for performance...but to me none of these are issues...just limitations of my hardware..

It IS an issue though Ghosthunter. Before November 12th's patch, the 6800s were running fine. Something in that patch f'ed up the 68x cards bad. You can't say that that's the performance you can expect from such a demanding game because two year Mr. Radeon 9700 Pro is running at high quality with the same FPS that 6800s are in high performance. So it's not because my system isn't strong enough, it's because the programmers either added or took something out that messed up the cards ability to run the game the way it should on such a new card

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 02:22 PM   #79
|MaguS|

I dout a 9700pro in HQ would run faster then a 6800 in HP... Actually I know for a fact since I beta'd with a 9800pro and playing retail with a 6800GT. The 9800pro was able to run the game at HQ but would chop up VERY often.

Im running the game most of the time (all the time when im not in a town) smooth with 1600x1200 @ High Quality + More (I increase rendering distance and set the LOD to max).
Old 01-13-05, 02:25 PM   #80
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
It IS an issue though Ghosthunter. Before November 12th's patch, the 6800s were running fine. Something in that patch f'ed up the 68x cards bad. You can't say that that's the performance you can expect from such a demanding game because two year Mr. Radeon 9700 Pro is running at high quality with the same FPS that 6800s are in high performance. So it's not because my system isn't strong enough, it's because the programmers either added or took something out that messed up the cards ability to run the game the way it should on such a new card

i have no clue but i have not been hit by it...not saying there is not an issue with the cards and certain configruation specs...but not everyone is having same exact issue
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64

Old 01-13-05, 02:32 PM   #81
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

3/4 of the 6800 owners are. Mainly because they're the mainstream ps 3.0 cards and haven't recieved a driver that optimizes ps3.0 according to ebtmagus

Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
Old 01-13-05, 02:36 PM   #82
|MaguS|

<- 6800GT owner, no issues. Honestly, I think its a luck of the draw with systems. There seems to be no clear indication of whats causing stuttering in games. Some people have it and others with the same MB/Card do not.

Unlike most people, Im not blaming stuttering on SOE since it is evident that it does happen for those people in other games aswell sometimes. Remember, SOE can only program the game on a certain code path that the videocard uses, the rest is up to Nvidia to optimize that code path.
Old 01-13-05, 02:47 PM   #83
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

YOU HEAR THAT NVIDIA, OPTIMIZE THAT CODE BABY! Take out 30 hours and work on it! I will strip for you via web cam.

Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
Old 01-13-05, 02:57 PM   #84
Elderblaze

what's funny is eq2 is the only game that has this behavior for me. I can run everything else with no issues. For hours on end, and my system benches right where it should.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote