Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-05, 02:00 PM   #85
|MaguS|

Default Re: Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Again, Its a luck of the draw... I noticed one thing about EQ2 is that is hates fragmented HD's, even slightly (It also causes your HD to fragment quicker). I usually defrag my PC about once every week or two since EQ2 released. Also adware hurts performance alot aswell.
Old 01-13-05, 03:43 PM   #86
Downside

I'm not complaining about stuttering, I'm complaining that the 400+ dollar video card I have barely performs at the same level in the game as my 3 year old 9700pro that I gave to my kid brother after upgradeing.

Saying "it works fine for me" doesn't mean your card is working any better than those complaining, it just means you don't have the point of reference to tell how your nice new card isn't performing as it should be. My game looks fine, and it's playable. What's got me a little miffed is it also looks just as fine, and is basically just as playable using the 9700pro as it is on my 6800GT.

All the talk about how this game is written to max out next generation hardware pretty much shows you there is a problem, in that the temp of my 6800 drops much lower than I'm used to seeing at full load while playing this game. If I had to guess, I'd say the game isn't making full use of the 6800 series GPU, and forcing the main cpu to do something the GPU can handle much more effectivly. If EQ2's graphic engine was really stressing the card then you would see the GPU's temp much higher.

I have no problems in HL2, Doom3, Warcraft, or any other app. If I didn't know better from having access to my old card I probably wouldn't think I had any issues in EQ2 as well, just that that is the way it is.
Downside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 07:06 PM   #87
Ghosthunter

Downside,

what are the rest of your specs? processor? ram? mb?

There is a lot more then just video card...your system might be bottlenecking it...EQ2 is also very CPU dependent

I dont need a point of reference...all I know is I play at 1600x1200 with most settings maxed except for a few and it looks abosultely gorgeous..everytime I log in I am amazed...even when I am fighting and the spell effects...I just get amazed everytime..

I am pretty sure if I put a 9700 no way I can play I am playing at
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 01:24 AM   #88
Elderblaze

He dosent have to post his system specs where there is a confirmed, known problem that he describes, that 1000's of people experiance. But if it makes you feel better, I've been building PC's for 10 years, I have an Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.5 Ghz, with 1 GB of ram runing at 420 mhz ddr. An msi k8n neo 2 platinum, audigy 2, and geforce 6800 GT. I have no spyware, no virus, and my hard drive is defragmented. I have the lattest drivers, for chipset, sound, video, the newest bios. And score excellent marks in 3D Mark 05/03/02. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, Far Cry, and WOW. Everquest performs like ****. I don't beleive in "Luck of the draw" that's bull****. There's nothing wrong with my machine. And sony needs to fix this crap, 2 months ago.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 05:37 AM   #89
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

I call BS on anyone saying they are running playable framerates at 16x12 maxed settings.

Anyways, my lacking PC in my sig also couldn't handle EQ2 for crap and I have used both a 6800gt and what's current in my sig. The game is just a pile of crap and I find myself tweaking more then playing. Have't need to do that in years with any games.

Just cancel it and save yourself th grief. No more jumping through hoops and less headach. Maybe try again in a year or 2.
Old 01-14-05, 05:43 AM   #90
|MaguS|

Don't think anyone said they are running maxed settings... Im not, thats for sure. Im running High Quality, not Extreme Quality (Even then, all the features of the engine aren't maxed if you look at the sliders; aka lighting can support more sources and LOD/Animation can go higher quality)..
Old 01-14-05, 09:11 AM   #91
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
He dosent have to post his system specs where there is a confirmed, known problem that he describes, that 1000's of people experiance. But if it makes you feel better, I've been building PC's for 10 years, I have an Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.5 Ghz, with 1 GB of ram runing at 420 mhz ddr. An msi k8n neo 2 platinum, audigy 2, and geforce 6800 GT. I have no spyware, no virus, and my hard drive is defragmented. I have the lattest drivers, for chipset, sound, video, the newest bios. And score excellent marks in 3D Mark 05/03/02. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, Far Cry, and WOW. Everquest performs like ****. I don't beleive in "Luck of the draw" that's bull****. There's nothing wrong with my machine. And sony needs to fix this crap, 2 months ago.

Regards,
Mike

really 1000's of people are experience? why is it everyone i know who has 6800gt and playing EQ2 is not complaining?

I never said there wasnt an issue...but dont make it like everyone who has 6800gt is having an issue...because that is not true.
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 01-14-05, 04:37 PM   #92
Downside

My game playing rig specs are:

Athon64 3000 on DFI nforce3 MB
1GB of PDP 2-2-2-5 ram. (2x512mb)
74GB Raptor
EVGA 6800GT at 410/1100
SB Audigy2
Proc and vid card are watercooled.

I'm also an experienced PC builder/user/system engineer/geek whatever. The system is a fresh XP sp2 install with just drivers, couple benchmark apps, and 2 games, eq2, and HL2. I rebuilt the system shortly after installing eq2 to try to resolve the lack of performance. No crap in the background, no old drivers, etc.

Quote:
really 1000's of people are experience? why is it everyone i know who has 6800gt and playing EQ2 is not complaining?
That's great for them. How many people you know who has a 6800 series card? The longest thread on the official support forums is for this very issue.

I don't know about running it at 16x12, as both my systems are on 1280 LCD's.

I've pretty much decided to live with it. I'm certainly able to play the game, and I know it will get fixed eventually, just frustrating that if my ultra cheap order I had with Gatewait for a x800xt had gone through instead of being cancelled due to no availability, I wouldn't be having this problem

I've already pre-ordered a x800xl for a second pci xpress nforce4 system I'm building (more money than sense I guess), so I'll be able to directly compare the two cards side by side whenever the ATI card actually ships.
Downside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-05, 08:49 PM   #93
Elderblaze

on the official sony boards there's a post over 30 pages long with people who have this issue. Many people who think it runs "Fine" are in fact ignorant and think it's lag, or that it's supposed to be that way. Decide to live with it, or just don't care. High end hardware typically ends up in the hands of enthusiast, but because so many non-enthusiast play EverQuest 1/2. (Some of these people think the mouse is a foot pedal to turn on the computer) And sony promoted Nvidia hardware, 6800 specifically for months, alot of computer illiterate people have purchased 6800's and they probably think it's runing fine and dandy, because they are ignorant and don't know better. I think almost everyone has this issue, some ignore it, some live with it, some to ignorant to know what it is, some don't even notice it, and the minority that knows what the hell they are doing is left standing going wtf?

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:07 PM   #94
Ghosthunter

well if you that unhappy then cancel your account..and don't play.

If my system is supposedly running so bad..well i dont care i am having fun..and dont worry about it..
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 01-15-05, 03:43 AM   #95
MaLk^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
I call BS on anyone saying they are running playable framerates at 16x12 maxed settings.

Thank you for That!!
Nice that its not only me that knows BS when they see it!
MaLk^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 11:21 PM   #96
ChrisRay

Hmm.. I came back tonight. Performance actually seems better for me. Of course I havent been paying "That" much attention. Has anyone noticed improved performance recently?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote