Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-04, 12:36 AM   #1
Druker

Default 6629 x86 Linux drivers issues

Greetings everybody!

I'm experiencing several problems with latest (6629) nVIDIA drivers running latest X.Org and kernel. Here's what I have:

Toshiba Satellite Pro M30-701, GeForce FX Go5200 64MB running SuSE 9.0 Pro updated with libc 2.3.3, X.Org 6.8.1, KDE 3.3.1 and 2.6.9 kernel from kernel.org with several patches (fbsplash, packet cd writing, Intel Pro Wireless 2100, SmartLink modem). VBIOS version is 04.34.20.50.ab (latest BIOS from toshiba site - 1.60). What I get (my default runlevel is 5):
1. this is widescreen notebook, and it supports only 8 bpp at 1280x800 - why not 16 or 24? VRAM is enough for framebuffer... anyway, I use vesafb at native resolution and it works fine except when I restore from suspend while running at level 5 (X11) I get my console split into 4 parts two on the top duplicating I/O and two bottom-ones garbled. X11 works fine at this moment, this happens when switching away from X (Ctrl+Alt+Fn) after resume. Text login is possible on this console. This cures only after cold reboot. Next, when going to suspend before OS actually starts writing to swap screen is switched off completely - I can't see suspend progress messages.
2. overall system is VERY unstable - every second cold boot X doesn't start at all leaving me text login at tty1. When I log in and "ps ax" I get running X in background and I have to telinit 3, killall -9 X, rmmod nvidia and finally telinit 5 in order to get KDM on screen. Even more, very frequently system just completely hangs with blank screen (LCD lamp is on) on clean boot. ACPI power button doesn't work in this case - only power cycling helps. If I enable any AGP support (intel-agp or nvidia's built-in) system is completely unusable.
3. system hangs every time I try to open ANY video file using mplayer or kplayer - X consumes nearly 100% of CPU and only mouse pointer moves. This is already reported by others as "screen frozen but cursor moves" bug.
4. Quake3 Arena never runs anymore - upon entering any arena game hangs but it is possible to Alt+Tab to konsole and killall -9 quake3. I'm not that addict gamer but I'd like to have 30 minutes of Quake at least once a month.
5. Konsole output flickers and slow compared to previous drivers (6111).

Here's /proc information:
Code:
[alex@barracuda ~]cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/*
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Not Supported
AGP Rates:       4x 2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000017:0x00000000
Host Bridge:     Intel Corp. 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       4x 2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000217:0x00000001
[alex@barracuda ~]cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model:           GeForce FX Go5200
IRQ:             10
Video BIOS:      04.34.20.50.ab
Card Type:       AGP
[alex@barracuda ~]cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6629  Wed Nov  3 13:12:51 PST 2004
GCC version:  gcc version 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)
I attach my X11 configuration file, X11 log file, kernel configuration and /etc/profile.local.

I kindly ask nVIDIA software engineers to respond with approximate date when above mentioned issues are addressed. I use this computer as production system and do not have time for annoying outages due to buggy video drivers. Don't offer to rollback - 6629 are the first drivers supporintg more or less stable suspend/resume.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (39.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: txt XOrg.conf.txt (5.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: txt kernel_config.txt (42.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: txt profile.local.txt (781 Bytes, 103 views)
Druker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 01:33 AM   #2
Compholio

Default Re: 6629 x86 Linux drivers issues

Don't know if this will gelp but this is my xorg "Module" section (since it's very different from yours):

Code:
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 03:04 AM   #3
Lithorus

There is ALOT wrong here

First of all your X is setup to use 16bit depth which isn't optimal since you will only get fully accelrated at 24 (32bit).

Your AGP might be disabled by Option "NvAgp" "0" which btw. is in the wrong section.

In your config file you specify HorizSync and VertRefresh for the secondary screen, however you should be aware that in a dual screen setup the LCD is always second, which means you are applying the TV specs on your LCD(the reason for the 800x600). You try to assign them specifically, however they can't be specified that way which the log tells you :
Quote:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in HorizSync string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:49-50,TV-0:30-50"; ignoring
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in VertRefresh string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:60,TV-0:60"; ignoring
Also avoid ANY kind of framebuffer module/driver, even for the console. It will only mess up your X.

Try this
http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/nv-online/
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 04:18 AM   #4
Druker

Angry Re: 6629 x86 Linux drivers issues

Quote:
There is ALOT wrong here
Ok, let's start from the beginning:

Quote:
First of all your X is setup to use 16bit depth which isn't optimal since you will only get fully accelrated at 24 (32bit)
I suppose this is IYHO, otherwise please point me to relevant string in nVIDIA's README file.

Quote:
Your AGP might be disabled by Option "NvAgp" "0" which btw. is in the wrong section.
Code:
The following driver options are supported by the NVIDIA X driver.
They may be specified either in the Screen or Device sections of the X
config file.

Option "NvAGP" "integer"
                Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:
... skipped

file: /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README
Mine is in "Screen" section. What's wrong?

Quote:
In your config file you specify HorizSync and VertRefresh for the secondary screen, however you should be aware that in a dual screen setup the LCD is always second, which means you are applying the TV specs on your LCD(the reason for the 800x600). You try to assign them specifically, however they can't be specified that way which the log tells you :

Quote:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in HorizSync string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:49-50,TV-0:30-50"; ignoring
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in VertRefresh string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:60,TV-0:60"; ignoring
Hmmm... I suppose
Quote:
Option "HorizSync" "DFP-0: 49-50, TV-0: 30-50"
Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 60, TV-0: 60"
clearly states that DFP is at 49-50@60 and TV is at 30-50@60, isn't it so? And
Quote:
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "49-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
says that my DFP (second display device) is 49-50@60, same as above. I do beleive order in HorizSync and VertRefresh options is not important at all since device types are specified explicitly as DFP-0 and TV-0. Otherwise it is a bug and should be fixed ASAP.

Quote:
Also avoid ANY kind of framebuffer module/driver, even for the console. It will only mess up your X.
Right now it just reflects negatively on nVIDIA reputation as I want to have NATIVE resolution everywhere on my widescreen including boot/shutdown splash screen support. Why should I limit myself?

I hadn't chance to test TV output but I beleive it is rather buggy as well. Soon I plan to buy widescreen flat panel TV for watching DVDs and would like TV out to work as expected to this moment. nVIDIA techies, please answer my questions - your product is NOT ready for production environment :-/
Old 12-03-04, 04:36 AM   #5
Lithorus

Quote:
Code:

The following driver options are supported by the NVIDIA X driver. They may be specified either in the Screen or Device sections of the X config file. Option "NvAGP" "integer" Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of: ... skipped file: /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README

Mine is in "Screen" section. What's wrong?
Just seems logical to have it in the Driver section. I noticed it that it parsed it according to the nvidia readme.

Quote:
Quote:

Right now it just reflects negatively on nVIDIA reputation as I want to have NATIVE resolution everywhere on my widescreen including boot/shutdown splash screen support. Why should I limit myself?
This is something out of nvidia's control but more to the fact that X and the console is seperated and hardware accelrating both will mess up things. As an example the ATI driver have the same issues.

Quote:
Quote:
Option "HorizSync" "DFP-0: 49-50, TV-0: 30-50"
Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 60, TV-0: 60"

clearly states that DFP is at 49-50@60 and TV is at 30-50@60, isn't it so? And
Yes, but it doesn't matter really since the X server doesn't understand those parameters.

Quote:
Quote:
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "49-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"

says that my DFP (second display device) is 49-50@60, same as above. I do beleive order in HorizSync and VertRefresh options is not important at all since device types are specified explicitly as DFP-0 and TV-0. Otherwise it is a bug and should be fixed ASAP.
If the driver detects the LCD device as the secondary these values will be applied, no matter what you consider to be secondary. I'm just saying you should be aware of which displays are considered primary/secondary. Either way you can try and comment out the IgnoreEDID so the correct values will be detected. EDID detection seems to be better supported with LCD panels.

Quote:
Quote:
First of all your X is setup to use 16bit depth which isn't optimal since you will only get fully accelrated at 24 (32bit)

I suppose this is IYHO, otherwise please point me to relevant string in nVIDIA's README file.
Again little to do with nvidia, but more to do with general X config. Change you settings to these :
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "TFT panel"
    Device "nVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Go"
    Monitor "Toshiba M30 WXGA TFT panel"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "NvAgp" "3" # Will autodetect AGP support
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
    Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24
	Modes "1280x800" "1280x1024" "800x600"
    EndSubsection
EndSection
Old 12-03-04, 05:58 AM   #6
Druker

Quote:
This is something out of nvidia's control but more to the fact that X and the console is seperated and hardware accelrating both will mess up things. As an example the ATI driver have the same issues.
Disagree. Framebuffer is just a way of displaying of video contents and definitely not an acceleration of hardware. If video card is VESA-compliant there should be no any conflicts between VESA FB and accel driver, otherwise it's a bug. For instance, Sun boxes (as well as Macs) operate only in framebuffer mode either under Solaris or MacOS (or linux). And they both have ATI-based accelerators with PROPER drivers. I haven't chance to program video output, but I beleive video card should separate memory for framebuffer and for 3D textures/suchlike.

Quote:
Yes, but it doesn't matter really since the X server doesn't understand those parameters.
I'll try to swap them, but something tells me that nothing will change. I tried very basic setup mentioning no TV or CRT and system continues hanging/crashing.

Code:
Option "NvAgp" "3"
makes system VERY unstable and suspend/resume is not possible with AGP enabled.
Old 12-03-04, 07:04 AM   #7
Lithorus

Quote:
makes system VERY unstable and suspend/resume is not possible with AGP enabled.
Generally suspend/resume is somewhat still unstable under linux especially when it comes to accelrated drivers under X. However this is a thing still under heavy development both inside the kernel and from the nvidia folks.
Old 12-03-04, 08:59 AM   #8
Druker

I can tell that current linux (2.6.9) power management is stable enough for production use. My box suspends/resumes just perfectly with SmartLink softmodem drivers, Intel Pro Wireless 2100 drivers and the rest while using only VESA framebuffer console. Only nVIDIA drivers causing troubles, and not only with suspend/resume. What about stable video playback? Switching from X to console and back? Constant hangs? I can't remember I've heard about similar problems using i8x5 ondoard graphics with kernel DRI drivers...

Let's face it: I've spent some amount of money for nVIDIA product and found it almost unusable. Since I already paid for it I want it to work as expected providing same functionality as under other OSes.

Old 12-03-04, 09:39 PM   #9
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druker
I can tell that current linux (2.6.9) power management is stable enough for production use. My box suspends/resumes just perfectly with SmartLink softmodem drivers, Intel Pro Wireless 2100 drivers and the rest while using only VESA framebuffer console. Only nVIDIA drivers causing troubles, and not only with suspend/resume. What about stable video playback? Switching from X to console and back? Constant hangs? I can't remember I've heard about similar problems using i8x5 ondoard graphics with kernel DRI drivers...

Let's face it: I've spent some amount of money for nVIDIA product and found it almost unusable. Since I already paid for it I want it to work as expected providing same functionality as under other OSes.
I'm sorry but I have the excact same video card and don't recognize all these problems. Video playback has been just perfect ever since I got it, but I have to admit that I never use any kind of suspend functions since I know there are problems and I can live without it. I believe it will come around some time.