Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-02, 02:04 AM   #1
Fook Me

Default Anybody in here have a DELL computer?

I just ordered one and this is somestuff that I got:

2ghz Pentium 4 Processor
256ms of DDR SDRAM
32mg ATI Rage videocard (upgrading to my Geforce 4 Ti4400 I have in my current rig right now)
Win XP Home Edition

And I was wondering, if I wanted to change my powersupply for some reason, some people told me that if I do that with a DELL computer, I would have to also change the motherboard also? Is that true with DELL computers?
Fook Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 05:27 AM   #2
McBane
Left Hand Black

Send a message via ICQ to McBane Send a message via AIM to McBane

Most likely: YES.

Dell is infamous for making "propietary" changes to hardware (mobos, power supplies, sound cards etc..)

PR0N-O-MATIC XL-509I
McBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 09:50 AM   #3
madthumbs

The reason I won't buy one... suppose any one of the motherboard/ power supply/ ram breaks... you have a choice of paying good money for old inferior parts, or upgrading which requires more parts to be changed than normal.
madthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 11:40 AM   #4
Starscream
Decepticook

Default Re: Anybody in here have a DELL computer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fook Me
And I was wondering, if I wanted to change my powersupply for some reason, some people told me that if I do that with a DELL computer, I would have to also change the motherboard also? Is that true with DELL computers?
YES. Dell makes proprietary power supplies and motherboards. Any non dell power supply put in there will kill the motherboard. Any non dell motherboard put in there will be killed by the dell power supply.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 12:08 PM   #5
Fook Me

So is there anyway I can change the power supply without changing my motherboard?
Old 08-05-02, 12:19 PM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

No, and with a Dell computer you couldn't change the motherboard, it wouldn't fit.

You would be much better off either building your own system, or buying from a better retailer such as Alienware. Yes you will pay a bit more, but it's worth it because the Alienware system has parts you can replace.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 12:26 PM   #7
Fook Me

But what are the chances of me replacing the powersupply or motherboard when I havent done that with my current rig EVER? Anyways, ill im changing when I get my system is the videocard to a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4400 and add more ram to make it 512mgs of DDR SDRAM
Old 08-05-02, 12:34 PM   #8
netviper13
Treehugger

You do know that it's impossible to overclock a Dell system too, right?

Old 08-05-02, 12:44 PM   #9
Fook Me

Ya I know it is immposible But I just got this computer because I got a good price on it, (im only 15) and when I get a job ill build my own machine this is what im going to do with my DELL computer:

Change the ATI Rage videocard that comes with DELL to my LeadTek Geforce 4 Ti4400

And upgrade the RAM to 512mgs of DDR SDRAM ( I got a gift certificate) so the DDR RAM will be about $19 and thats why I didnt upgrade it with DELL

THIS SYSTEM WILL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-02, 12:48 PM   #10
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

If you want to upgrade your Dell computer, you will have to buy a new case and power supply. That's what sucks about getting Dell over building it yourself; they use different part standards, making it difficult to upgrade. If you want a 4 ghz p4 a year and a half from now, you'll have to buy a lot more things than just the motherboard and CPU.

I have owned a Dell before (still have it running actually), and they're very stable. The upgrading aspect is what ruined it for me though, two years down the road.
Old 08-05-02, 12:48 PM   #11
netviper13
Treehugger

Cool, btw here's a forewarning: If you ever have something break and contact Dell tech support to try to get em to replace it...say your system is in its original configuration.

If you have one component in there (including OS!) that wasn't bought from them, they feed you a line of BS and refuse to replace the part. I've had it happen to me.
Old 08-05-02, 01:12 PM   #12
Fook Me

What??? So if I upgrade my videocard I will need to change the powersupply and mobo? I dont think so because if they sell Geforce 4 Ti4600 using 250watt powersupply's then why wouldnt mine work? Think about it