Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-04, 03:24 PM   #1
chovy

Default FX5700 Personal Cinema on Linux?

I just recently bought the FX5700 Personal Cinema card, has anyone gotten theh fm/tv tuner to work with MythTV yet?

I'm planning to run it on Gentoo, as soon as newegg has the CPU in stock.

I saw that FX5700 is in the list of supported drivers from the Nvidia site, but then I saw that there is another model called FX5700 without the tv/fm tuner.
chovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 03:39 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: FX5700 Personal Cinema on Linux?

You won't get tv/fm functionality working. For it you need rivatv but that project doesn't work with the current nvidia drivers. (the nvidia drivers don't want/like sharing the videocard with other drivers)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 03:56 PM   #3
chovy

That sucks of them.
chovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 04:27 PM   #4
bobg

It's not totally clear from your post if you are saying that your drivers don't support the tv tuner or if it's just a problem with Myth TV. Try `lsmod' to see what drivers are loaded. Nvidia drivers are all modules. Typically, tv tuner drivers are set up as separate modules.

Have you tried xawtv? With your graphics and tuner drivers installed (use lsmod and modprobe) from a command prompt try; xawtv -noxv.
bobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 04:39 PM   #5
augury

i have an evga 5700 that i have been having difficulty with.
i am using the 2.6.10 kernel. the driver that should work is saa7134.
evga is not listed in the module though (other manufactures are).
there seems to be some generic level support in the module but i dont know what it takes to get it to recognize my card/chip/device. so far i cant even bring up verification that is even there.
if its any help, from reading the module it seems that it only supports oss, and needs oss and also needs ic2 w/bit banging.
it should recognize some asus card immediately upon loading.

Last edited by augury; 12-27-04 at 05:08 PM.
augury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 05:08 AM   #6
Thunderbird

Chips used for tvin/tvout are connected using the "i2c" bus of your gpu. To access the tvin chip you need to go through your gpu and this is what causes the troubles. To do this you need a nvidia i2c module (and some other stuff) which is provided by the rivatv project. Unfortunately this driver doesn't work with recent nvidia driver versions because the nvidia drivers don't want to "share" the gpu. (the issue is a lot more complicated; simply sharing the gpu is very dangerous for example because both drivers have no knowledge of what the other is doing)
Old 01-24-05, 08:43 AM   #7
hotbelgo

I have a FX5200 based card and am also trying to achieve linux compatibility. It is clear that using one of the 6*** drivers is not a good idea for RivaTV, but 5336 and the OSS nv driver are both reported to work.

I use the nv driver and can get rivatv loaded and it seems to find the tuner too (MT20xx), but that still does not mean that xawtv can find any picture whatsoever. I'm really confused

Hotbelgo
hotbelgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 04:56 PM   #8
Ironi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
(the issue is a lot more complicated; simply sharing the gpu is very dangerous for example because both drivers have no knowledge of what the other is doing)
Couldn't nVidia add an interface for [userspace/kernelspace] drivers to access the card's I2C bus? I know it's probably not nVidia's responsibility, but I don't see any board manufacturers (Asus, eVGA, ...) stepping up, and very much doubt that they will. At the very least, nVidia might please some of its own customers by doing so.

Of course, I realize that the I2C hardware may differ for each manufacturer... However, wouldn't it be possible to create a generic I2C access API and let e.g. rivatv worry about the specifics of communicating with various chips?
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-05, 01:45 AM   #9
hotbelgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
Couldn't nVidia add an interface for [userspace/kernelspace] drivers to access the card's I2C bus? I know it's probably not nVidia's responsibility, but I don't see any board manufacturers (Asus, eVGA, ...) stepping up, and very much doubt that they will. At the very least, nVidia might please some of its own customers by doing so.
In the short term it would be great if nVidia could provide some advice to the rivatv project and the saa7174hl module code in particular. What we need is an idea of what register code needs to be enabled on the saa7174hl chip so that it outputs its
data to the YUV input of the nvidia chip. In all other decoder modules used by nVidia based cards it is a single bit in a "general purpose" register which the rivatv programmers have found by "good guess/chance", but this time we are stuck.

That would at least mean that there was a second-best solution for anyone that had bought an NVTV card of late.....

HB
hotbelgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 11:27 PM   #10
dalsen

Quote:
(the issue is a lot more complicated; simply sharing the gpu is very dangerous for example because both drivers have no knowledge of what the other is doing)
I'm curious - does this hold for nvtv as well (drivers for tv-out under linux)?
dalsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 12:51 AM   #11
Thunderbird

Nvtv is very hacky too. It uses /dev/mem as root to access the card or /dev/nvidia0 and friends. The driver has no knowledge of what happens and it is quite dangerous as nvtv messes with things only drivers should do. (pixelclocks, monitor timings ...)
Old 03-19-05, 02:17 PM   #12
jlo

Question Re: FX5700 Personal Cinema on Linux?

Quote:
Nvtv is very hacky too. It uses /dev/mem as root to access the card or /dev/nvidia0 and friends. The driver has no knowledge of what happens and it is quite dangerous as nvtv messes with things only drivers should do. (pixelclocks, monitor timings ...)
So is nVidia going to do something about the issue then? How people can get rivatv and video-IN working with nvidia driver and cards? Is there some design flaw, that prevents it working no matter what tricks are done, or is this something nVidia is going to ignore also in the future, and if, what are the reasons?
jlo is offline   Reply With Quote