Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-02, 01:56 AM   #1
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Cool MK Deadly Alliance - This is paradise!!

Welcome to a day in the life with PsychoSy...

Here I am bumming around without any sleep since 9PM and
I'm reading posts about some folks have allready got their copy
of MK Deadly Alliance today and I didn't I would get mine.

Here's my reaction to a phone call from Babbages at 6PM saying
it's in and ready for me to get my paws on it!! WOOT!!

Ah yes...here I am 45 mins later sporting a Carlin-esque rictus to boot!! But the joy won't last...

...as I'm grimacing at a very painful 10-hit combo done to me by Li Mei. She just busted open a can on my boy Scorpion! However, I do manage to beat her (barely) and I try a random combination for a Fatality - hmm, how does B, B, D, B + Circle sound? Will they show me the love?

Why yes they do!! As the screen darkens, my eyes bulge...What did I actually see?

Well, this started it...

...and if you wanna see the rest of it, you best hightail it to a store and either buy this game or show up at BlockBuster bright and early on Friday morning to rent a copy. Good grief, what Scorpion did to her mellon afterwards was gnarly!

What a day...Nivida shows the NV30 in Nude-ality form and a game I've been waiting forever for comes out a few days early.

Hooyah!
Old 11-19-02, 01:34 PM   #2
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

I'll tell you what, PsychoSy. I really enjoy your posts especially when you do one like this. They make me want to go out and buy a digital camera. I am currently in MK hell as the local babbages doesn't have them in yet. I jsut have one question for you. Is it any good? You didn't say if it was worthy of a gold medal. Give us some info.

Marqus

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 02:01 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Instead of baseball or football fantasy camp, they need to have "PsychoSy's Wonderful World of Fantasy." People could plunk down $2000 to live like you for a week.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 03:22 PM   #4
de><ta
prodigy

oowww.....

when will it come out for the pc....

i cant shell out moona for a ps2 right now...

tell me more... more I SAY!!!!

I have looked at close to about all the friggin movies online, hope my friend (he has a ps2) buys it.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 01:40 PM   #5
Serath
Dark Mirth

Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath
Default no it wasn't me :p

Guess who just walked into Wal-Mart and picked up a copy
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 03:20 PM   #6
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

damn those photos are dark
/me opens photoshop
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-02, 06:21 PM   #7
PsychoSy

Talking

Dexta, there are NO current plans for a PC version. Midway doesn't do PC games anymore unless they are in huge demand. I'm sure if Midway gets enough letters, they may consider outsource the PC porting duties to EuroCom (a UK company very experianced with conversions of Midway titles).

As for how the game is, here's a review I whipped up for it.

MK Deadly Alliance - Flawless Victory?
--------------------------------------

AT A GLANCE...
--------------
Graphics: 8.5
Sound: 8.0
Control: 7.5
Gameplay: 9.0
Fun factor: 9.0

AVERAGE SCORE: 8.4

----------------------
THE GORY DETAILS...
----------------------

Trickling into stores this week in the same fashion as its infamous blood and guts it's known for, MK: Deadly Alliance is the latest installment of the franchise sporting 63 fighting styles, a new fighting engine, and of course the fatalities. Does MKDA have what it takes to return this long forgotten franchise into a contender...or should it have stayed as dead as Johnny Cage?

DEADLY IS BEAUTIFUL...
-------------------------------

Graphically, MKDA is stunning. Taking a page from all the current fighters as well as some classic fighters like the vintage Killer Instinct, every arena is jam packed with vivid colors and detail - particles of dust or snow blow around, the marble arena floors have reflective surfaces, villagers travel to and fro or repair their possessions in the background, and there some objects that are interactive. Statues of Buddha will spew fireballs periodically and
the green slop in the Acid Bath arena has its own deadly sprinkler system, giving the fighters more than just their enemy to worry about. Speaking about the fighters themselves, each sport over 7000 polygons each and throughout a fight, their bodies will break down with many cuts, scrapes, bruises and lacerations.

The fighters attire (along with some parts of their anatomy) ripple in the wind or bounce during the fight, adding more to the realism factor. Of course, there's also the blood which sprays or drizzles over the contours of the fighters body and often times a powerful attack to the face will cause the fighter to recoil backward and nurse their trobbing noggin that's just oozing the crimson stuff.

DEADLY SOUNDS EVIL...
------------------------------

MK music vet Dan Forden scores the music and sound effects in MK: Deadly Alliance and, like always, it finds its own mood depending on the arena or the insensity of the battle. The quality of the samples have improved as the sounds of flesh hitting bone sounds like deep sickening thuds instead of the wet slaps of previous MK games. The weapons clang and ring as the collide with steel (and emit a shower of particle effects graphically) or emit sharp tearing sound with they collide with sinew. And when the screen darkens, the music turns into a spine-tingling warble akin the a Stanley Kubrick horror film.

DEMONIC GAMEPLAY ABOUNDS
---------------------------------------

MK: Deadly Alliance sports the most drastic change to the franchise in the gameplay department, and for the better. Gone are refferences to High Kick and Low Punch - the button layout now gives you attack buttons labled 1 thru 4, a seperate block button, another button for "Special Attack" which can be a
throw, a taunt, an impale, a strafe attack, or a Neijin (a power-up that enhances the damage of your blows for a brief period) depending on the fighting style). The run button goes the way of the dodo as well and in it's place is the ever useful "Change Style" allowing fighters to switch between their three fighting styles at anytime. It is this department where MK Deadly Alliance shines its weight in gold as this button is very instrumental in
custom combo creation and extention.

However, one debated aspect of all MK games is the aspect of skill - previous installments lacked the depth and skill that DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and VF4 have in spades. As a result, MK is often regaled with contempt by the elitists. That is no longer an issue as MK Deadly Alliance's combo system REQUIRES AND
REWARDS ACTUAL RAW SKILL and won't hesitate punishing those that lack it!! In all honestly, the combo might look like an easy array of button mashes from the pause menu's move list, but looks are very deceptive. To put it another way, only the most skilled players will be able to successfully unleash 5+ hit combos that deal 20% or more damage as changing your fighting style to continue the onslaught requires precision timing (often times, it will require the technique of "buffering") as well as a vast knowledge of what attacks to use and when (and you also have to worry about reversals). Defensive players that tend to turtle or toss projectiles won't last long as projectiles are easily avoided by blocking or sidestepping, leaving you wide open for *****dom (especially from Sonya - if she pulls a Neijin then switches back to Kempo...dig your own grave immediately). In a nutshell, pulling off a FATALITY is much, much easier than pulling off huge combos (something that used to be reversed in previous MK games).

The bonus games "Test You Might" and "Test Your Sight" are easy at first but progressively get very hard. In MK1, I could easily break the diamond, but in MKDA, breaking even a steel girder will give you blisters. As for the other bonus game "Test Your Sight", this puts you up against the classic shell game from "The Price Is Right" where a single dragon coin is moved and shuffled around on the table. At later levels, more cups are added and the shuffling speed increases dramatically.

ALL IS NOT SO DEADLY...
--------------------------------

Now comes the more troubling aspect of MK Deadly Alliance as the controls are somewhat irresponsive. You can be holding block and still find yourself getting battered to death, which can be frustrating and pulling off the limited "franchise" style trademark moves can be tough. Then again, I had this much trouble with VF4 so maybe I suck and the controls are dead on...

NOTE: After 12 hours of sleep, the "control issues" went away!

OVERALL
----------------------

It's been said that the MK franchise was dead or at best in a coma barely hanging on life support. But now, thanks to Deadly Alliance, the dragon hath awakened, yanked the IVs, and ate the nearest orderly's head off.

MK Deadly Alliance shouldn't be passed off just because it's MK. Those that do will be depriving themselves of one very entertaining fighting experiance as well as the best installment of the classic bloodfest since MK2. There's plenty of gaming goodness here to please the veterans of the series with all the goodies to unlock. Although it slightly (and I mean very slightly) falls short of the depth of that found in Tekken, VF4 and Soul Calibur, there's just enough depth to keep you busy as well as attract the diehard Tekken/VF4 gurus.

Midway set to overhaul the MK franchise and put the focus on the actual fighting and they weren't lying - MK Deadly Alliance is ALL about KOMBAT - in both weapons and hand-to-hand based arts - which no other fighting game has. Of course there's no Kombat without a side order of Fatalities and again no other fighting game has them, either.

With such a mixture of what makes the other fighters so great along with their own originality (the changing of fighting styles on the fly, tons of unlockable secrets, behind-the-scenes DVD extras, etc.), MK Deadly Alliance is a must-have game, pure and simple. Not just for the fans, but for the naysayers that preached "MK is dead" like a mantra. Afterall - it might be easier for them to buy this game than it is to find a restaurant that offers broasted crow as a main course, which is what they really deserve.
Old 11-23-02, 10:58 PM   #8
Serath
Dark Mirth

Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath

Ok ok... unlyke Sy there, I don't have an urge to flash pics around with my copy (mainly cuz my digicam died...) BUT here's something that just has me tickled pink about this game.

The gore! Here's the scoop:
My fiance and I are playing MKA. I'm SubZero, and she's Sonya...
kick punch kick kick freeze kick then BAM Sonya becomes a snowboard for Subby.
A few bloody splats later She's standing there in mid punch when *WHAM!* My sword is sticking in her stomach. SHe's losing lots of blood... her life is slowly fading away... however... sword and all, Sonya still manages to jumpkick me in the face and make me her bitch until she bleeds to death...
amazing!
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-02, 01:07 PM   #9
Mileena

Send a message via ICQ to Mileena Send a message via AIM to Mileena Send a message via Yahoo to Mileena
Default Kiss of Death

I do not care for Sonya or SubZero, yes they have some pretty tight moves but me and my girl kitkat find Kitana and Mileena to be greatest, mainly to the fact we relate to them. When my Kitana gives me the kiss of death and swift elbow punch ...i find my self responding with swift teleport kick and a quick ground roll but not enough for me to survive her two quick fan throws and fan swipe with a swift air punch to finish me off. I would love to write more but my precious Kitana is calling, man she sure loves her bloodshed, im the luckiest bitch alive.
Mileena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 01:19 PM   #10
pelly

No PC version....

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 02:36 PM   #11
The Baron

Default Re: Kiss of Death

Quote:
Originally posted by Mileena
I do not care for Sonya or SubZero, yes they have some pretty tight moves but me and my girl kitkat find Kitana and Mileena to be greatest, mainly to the fact we relate to them. When my Kitana gives me the kiss of death and swift elbow punch ...i find my self responding with swift teleport kick and a quick ground roll but not enough for me to survive her two quick fan throws and fan swipe with a swift air punch to finish me off. I would love to write more but my precious Kitana is calling, man she sure loves her bloodshed, im the luckiest bitch alive.
*blink*

*blink blink*

*blink*

I think that's all I need to say.
Old 11-24-02, 02:59 PM   #12
PsychoSy

Quote:
Originally posted by Serath
My fiance and I are playing MKA. I'm SubZero, and she's Sonya. kick punch kick kick freeze kick then BAM Sonya becomes a snowboard for Subby. A few bloody splats later She's standing there in mid punch when *WHAM!* My sword is sticking in her stomach. SHe's losing lots of blood... her life is slowly fading away... however... sword and all, Sonya still manages to jumpkick me in the face and make me her bitch until she bleeds to death...
amazing! [/b]
I love impales!! Gawd, they are gory!

Sonya is a mean woman this time around, though. She was giving all kinds a grief last night on the Acid Bath stage but I fixed her. No, I coudn't impale her (using Scorpion) but I kept shoving or sweeping her right into the path of the acid spitting Budha statues.

That acid sucks big time...especially if you got a sword stuck in your breadbasket.

Some of the Fatalities are lame but Nitara - the vampire chick - oh, she's got a really good one! She was definately worth the hefty price of unlocking her.