Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-09-04, 10:46 PM   #13
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza
Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

So far i like EQ2, kinda has that mix of Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights to it, and i like. The graphics are awsome and it runs nice on Extreem Quality but i might go to Ver high so i can use AA and AF together (if EQ2 supports AA cuz it didnt seem like 2x was working at all). Plus i got to defrag after that massive install, that will probably clear up some of the stuttering im getting when running.

Any suggestions for Visual settingsthat would be best for my 6800NU.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 11:51 PM   #14
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Oh yeah for AA to work properly need to add a line in ini file, let me check. I don't know if they patched it or not but after the launch of EQ2 AA wasn't working correctly so you had to do this , after i done it AA was working perfectly playing with 4xAA and 8xAF (actually there is little difference from 2xAA and 4xAF in EQ2 hard to spot )
Quote:
by default AA is disabled completely in EQ2 (at least it was in beta)
in order to use AA do the following steps
1) open notepad
2) type in the following line, r_aa_blit 1
3) save this as eq2.ini
4) place the eq2.ini file in your everquest2 directory
AA will now work in the game just set it to whatever you prefer on your video card 2xAA, 4xAA, etc
Link

Last edited by -=DVS=-; 12-10-04 at 12:01 AM.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 02:13 AM   #15
Blacklash
8^9^3

Personally, I like EQ II,

It runs well on my rig. Most that complain about it running poorly are simply putting too much on thier machine and perhaps don't want to admit it. Aka, turn down some F'n settings and go for balanced or below, not very high all ranges/details maxed.

If one were into PvP I could see getting WoW. I do not like the cartoon fashion in which it is rendered. I realize this was a deliberate creative choice. Elves with ears long as thier arms are just not for me.

With EQ II, unlike EQ, you can actually level well doing quests, and can have up to 50 in your journal. The game certainly isn't perfect, however I feel it is the best thing out right now for MMORPG fans, and in particular, PvE interested players.

That is where I have been spending my time, in EQ II on one of the RP preferred servers.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 03:56 AM   #16
mustrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malficar
Personally, I like EQ II,

It runs well on my rig. Most that complain about it running poorly are simply putting too much on thier machine and perhaps don't want to admit it. Aka, turn down some F'n settings and go for balanced or below, not very high all ranges/details maxed.

If one were into PvP I could see getting WoW. I do not like the cartoon fashion in which it is rendered. I realize this was a deliberate creative choice. Elves with ears long as thier arms are just not for me.

With EQ II, unlike EQ, you can actually level well doing quests, and can have up to 50 in your journal. The game certainly isn't perfect, however I feel it is the best thing out right now for MMORPG fans, and in particular, PvE interested players.

That is where I have been spending my time, in EQ II on one of the RP preferred servers.

Look at my sig first:
I run at 1152x854
No shadows
cube map at single
complex shaders at 20
rendering distance at 300
max 4 high detail characters
no bloom
high texture resolution

as you see i have quite a lot stuff disabled.
I get between 25 and 60 FPS while running around in antonica and 10 to 20 FPS while fighting. In Blackburrow i dropped as low as 6 FPS.
It's NOT my settings since i tried out an old 9800 PRO that runs SMOOTH at the same settings in the same system.
Also reformated so it's no driver issue.

Then again there's evil stuttering even when i am in a spot with nothing around and 60 FPS.....

If it runs smooth for you you closed your eyes or are happy to fight in the sub 20 FPS area. I've not seen a 6800 owner that could show me proof of getting good FPS while fighting yet.
Gigabyte 8800 GTS G92 (800/1944/2050)
mustrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 07:21 AM   #17
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot
Talking Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

I haven't played EQ2, but WoW is awesome as hell. The game runs really well all of the time, which is very important to me. As well as that, the game looks absolutely fantastic. No other MMORPG that I've seen, in-game or screenshots, has the incredible artistic styling of Warcraft. EQ2 looks graphically good, but bland. It's hard to describe, but the world is just so varied, always interesting, always fun to investigate. The models, animations, sounds, spell effects, etc (as opposed to ect) are all the best I've seen in any game like this. Basically everything about the game just seems right; well thought out, well implemented.

Give it a shot.

Edit: I didn't say anything about the gameplay . The gameplay is the best part! I spent about 5-6 hours today in a group of 5, doing Elite quests in an instanced dungeon in Blackfathom Deeps, and damn it's fun. Elite mobs are creatures that are much more powerful for their level than regular mobs, and unless you are quite a few levels over the mobs, you won't be able to survive there on your own. So you have to find a group of players who fit together well (healers, tanks, damage dealers or whatever mix you want), keep together and duke it out against the mobs. Ahh man, I can't wait to get back to doing that quest again... We died at what I imagine was near the end, and then people had to leave.

Mmmmm WoW..
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 07:32 AM   #18
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

If you take any stock in Gamespot's reviews, WoW whups EQ2 in their eyes (just going by the scores they're given): http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/everquest2/index.html http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/world...aft/index.html
Old 12-10-04, 11:30 AM   #19
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Reviews are garbage. Just take all the Fable reviews in to consideration. What a joke. lol

Anyways, as much as I like EQ2 and as much as I don't want to because of the time I got invested in this game I may go buy WOW and cancell my EQ2 account for the time being and let them get the beta stage worked out. There's just no excuse for the issues with the type of systems a lot of us have and it's obveious that most people are knowledgable when it comes to PC maintaince.

I mean come on, last night I was fighting mobs on the lowest setting possible and it was still horrible. lol

there's nothing more I hate in the world of PC gaming is day in and day out tring to figure out work around solutions when all I should be doing is playing a polished finished product. Espiecially since everyother game on my HDD runs fine.

So, I'll keep an eye on the EQ2 forums, see if that get their **** together.
Old 12-10-04, 11:56 AM   #20
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Reviews are garbage? Why? They're someone's opinion. Granted, there may well be money involved, but I doubt that they would get paid money to give a game a lower score. I don't really see how just because an opinion happens to be in a place that many people read that it suddenly becomes invalid. What if you were to write a review which just so happened to end up in a place that many people read? Ah, your opinion is now garbage. I see.

Old 12-10-04, 03:06 PM   #21
Slybri

WoW was made by Blizzard. That's all I needed to know when I bought the game.

I usually hate MMO's because they're slow going time sinks, but WoW changed that. No xp loss on death, no long "meditation" between fights, constant cool drops and upgrades. A deep backstory from years of games, novels, and the tabletop RPG. And that great Blizzard sense of style and humor everywhere. There's nothing in it that's not fun. Heck, they even made dying fun! You get to run around as a ghost that walks on water!
Sure the graphics are not as high tech as EQ2, but Blizzard used them to make a work of art. EQ2 looks shiney and dull in comparison. And WoW runs ultra-smooth at 1600x1200 full aa and aniso...and no load points! Sure it looks a lil toony, but I'd rather watch a beautiful, artistically animated cartoon than a crappy movie. And you fall in love with WoW's style after the first hour or so. Besides, Gameplay is what counts and WoW is far superior to EQ2 in that department. Bumpmapped dragons are just lipstick on a pig, man!

WoW is the best MMO ever made, hands down.

BTW: someone should have "baught" some english lessons....lol!

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 03:15 PM   #22
lmetza

What is a good server to play on actually? im on toxxulia.
When i got to the city i had to lower my settings (i followed the guide in the other thread) and i no longer have AA, my driver is set to Performance and i only have 4xAF on and 1152x864 in the game set @ High quality and customized to what the guide said, and all shadows are off, that made a huge difference.
I am kinda annoyed by the fact that it SHOULD be running better, but im sure within the next months they will get things ironed out and nvidia will hopefully make some optimizations. But im still happy with EQ2 so far. Ille see how i still like it in 29 days.
Old 12-10-04, 03:20 PM   #23
Moondawg

Send a message via ICQ to Moondawg Send a message via Yahoo to Moondawg

I have been on the beta for WOW since April and I have loved it. I have played EQ and SWG and EQ was awesome for its time, but SWG disappointed me after awhile. I have not played EQ2 and I have heard some good things about it, but WOW has awesome playability and I love the graphics. The questing system rocks and takes the dullness of level grinding and every class can be beneficial in a group, so there are less rejections for groups. If I hadn't been on the WOW beta I would have to try them both out first. I even recomend you trying EQ2 first then trying WOW.
Moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 03:22 PM   #24
lmetza

If EQ2 somehow doesnt work out after my 30 days, i might try WoW.