Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-04, 05:32 PM   #49
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot
Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
Bare with me if this is a complete mess but been busy with work and I only have a few to answer you.

Armor and outfits are bland.
Damn, man. Have you seen any of the armor in the game? The higher level you go, the more impressive the armor looks. There was a level 60 Dwarf Warrior wandering about Iron Forge the other day, and ******* that's the best looking player character I've seen in any game, especially a MMORPG.
Quote:
Dated technical graphics(hense the reason it runs so smooth).
It's a new engine for WoW. It's not dated.
Quote:
The animation is horrible IMO. The way the characters walk, jump, battle is just to cheesy. Just not my style. IMO the ticket to the atmoshere of this game is the music. Very well done.
There's music in WoW? Again, animations are another thing that Blizzard have done better than any other MMORPG that I've seen. It all just oozes with style.
Quote:
EQ2 is detail, it's like the simulator of MMOs. From the minute you start the game you can see the depth of it. Character classes are many to choose from and character creation is the deepest of any game. You'll be hard pressed to find another player looking exactly like you or a npc for that matter.
I suppose this is part of your MMORPG newbieness showing, but why does this matter? When you've got a really good group going through an instance where your group is only just able to do it and you're having an incredible time because the game mechanics, (the part that matters in this sort of game) these sort of things become very quickly irrelevant.
Quote:
Some(99% those who haven't played) say eq2 has no atmosphere, I'd have to disagree. All be it not super colorful(only thing wow got going for it), it's is extremly rich with detail and very alive(even at medium settings which i play). Leaves falling from trees, schools of fish, cats chasing mice in the cities, dogs chasing cats, heards of deers, mobs running through towns and npc fighting them off, flocks of butterflies, flora that interacts with you be moving out of the way when you run through it, moving skys and plenty more.
Except for the flora interacting with the player, this is all in WoW, too .
Quote:
Then on top of the livelyness it's super detailed. Beautiful textures that bring the game alive. Stone that creates the castles look like real stone, bark on the trees is beautfully done, ever changing stone pathways, beautful in game lighting, armour that look like armor. Spell effects are amazing and absoluty gorgous when casted, characters have facial expressions that change with mood and battleing, Music and sounds that complemnet the mood well etc, etc, etc, .
This is all good stuff, but my choice of MMORPG wouldn't hinge on any of this, and perhaps at the moment it would put me off of it. My system isn't awfully quick, (Athlon XP 2800+, 5900XT, 512MB RAM) and I fear that I would be able to hear little sobs coming from that beige case to my left.
Quote:
Then there's the depth argument, again playing both eq2 when this department, there's just so much more with the amount of abilities of skills, different crafting systems and the way you go about crafting, grouping stragities, etc.
This is the part that I was hoping you could write your post on, and it was squashed into one sentence...
Quote:
btw, both of these games are my first 2 MMOs so I'm not a fanboy of either.
Alright. It sounds like you're a graphics fanboy thought (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just feel it's not exactly important for this sort of game. Have a look at Ultima Online).

Speaking of WoW. I'm going back to it for more. I'm a level 31 Priest at the moment. Loving the game more and more all the time, and not because of the graphics.

Last edited by Skrot; 12-14-04 at 06:34 PM.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 05:38 PM   #50
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Aye EQ2 is build for the future
I would say that WoW is built for the future, given that I play games for the quality of the gameplay, not the graphics. Blizzard have created a really (really) solid base game with which to expand upon. I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

All hail Blizzard, for they can do no wrong!
Old 12-14-04, 06:07 PM   #51
thunderhippo
Quadcore Vista Confusion

Edited..

I tried ChrisRay's little cube map tweak and eq2(THANX DOOD) is a lot more fun to play now.
I was just really frustrated with spending all my time changing display settings and no time playing the actual game.

On that note.. they are both Great games.. But both are very different. You cant really compare one to the other since they are so much different in approach and style.

You can compare the people that each game draws though. I have noticed that EQ2 caters more towards mature, older gamers and WOW draws the counterstrike crowd. By counterstrike i mean you can hardly understand what any of them are saying with all the teh, lol, L33t, rofl, r0xxorz etc getting said everywhere. Plus it seems like the game should have been called World of linen or linencraft since for the first 15 levels that is all you hear about in the chat. linen this, linen that..

So i say if you have the money, get both!

Last edited by thunderhippo; 12-17-04 at 01:59 PM.
thunderhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 08:03 PM   #52
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Obviously everyone is a fan boy trying to defend his bought game , for exception of people who own both retail games , Beta doesn't count.
Old 12-14-04, 09:01 PM   #53
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Obviously everyone is a fan boy trying to defend his bought game , for exception of people who own both retail games , Beta doesn't count.
I'm not trying to defend it, I'm trying to pimp it . WoW doesn't need me defending it.
Old 12-14-04, 09:12 PM   #54
lognoronon

I own both and I was in the EQ 2 beta for a few months. After playing both now for a while I can say without a doubt that WOW is more fun. Graphics are important oviously but EQ 2 lacks good artwork. Blizzard more than makes up for the less advanced engine with the artwork though. EQ 2 looks very very bland and just bleh while WOW is very colorful and just grabs your attention. Also EQ 2 feels like a job just like EQ 1 does. WOW does not feel like a job for me and is way more fun. The biggest gripe I have with EQ 2 other than the fact that it runs like total ass yet does not look the part is the fact that the classes are not diverse enough. They took balance too far and there is just not enough variety with the classes. Even though WOW does not have as many classes as EQ 2 does you do not feel like you are playing a watered down version of another class ect ect. I decided to cancel my EQ 2 account and go full force with WOW as I trust Blizzard far more than I can ever trust SOE. I already see things creeping through into EQ 2 that make me say "I guess after all this time SOE still has not learned".

Just so folks know I have some time with
Ultima online
EQ 1 and 2
Asherons Call 1 and 2
Anarchy Online (right at launch unfortunately)
Shadowbane
SWG
Planetside
WOW

Out of all those WOW looks the most promising to me. Blizzard knows how to do quality games. SOE just finds a cash cow and runs it into the ground.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 09:16 AM   #55
Sgt_Pitt

go back to page 3 and take a look at tyr-sogs 1st picture, that should just about sum it all up, actually ill post it again for those who missed it

I know most of here are gfx junkies and love kool effects, this pic just sums it all up, look at that lighting

Old 12-16-04, 10:05 AM   #56
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I hate you damn yanks!

I've had WOW preordered for months now and I'm still waiting for the cd just to get into the final beta (which they have not yet even started). The only plus is that when us Brits get the game we will be on realms with new players too so we won't be lagging behind.

Old 12-16-04, 10:53 AM   #57
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

sorry, but WoW is not built for the future, everything is has is something ripped off from prior MMORPGs, whereas EQ2 is inventing new ways to play the game, and to increase player interactivity. WoW's graphics ARE dated, EQ2's characters have more polygons in their hands than WoW does in their WHOLE character model. WoW's shading resembles that of EQ1 quality. Spells aren't big and awesome looking, even EQLive had that. Bump mapping is nowhere in site in WoW, celestial phases of the moon in EQ2...WoW has that? where? Heat shimmer in EQ2 to make heat in deserts and fire spells / effects look realistic; don't see that in WoW. When it rains in EQ2, especially in commonlands, the ground becomes shiny and wet looking and stone giants begin to shine because of the wetness, footsteps change to the sound of walking in mud. Sorry if I come off as mean and arguementative, but it's impossible to even COMPARE EQ2's graphics to WoW's. Maybe compare WoW's to EQLive's (EQ1) post-luclin graphics...lol

Did I mention that when you cast spells near or in water, you can see the reflection of the spells in the water? And when swimming in the ocean, patches of white mist surround you when you're swimming. Let's not forget EQ2's lip-synced voice-overs.

I do like WoW's graphics, given the engine they had, but when you look at that, and then go to say...Thundering Steppes or somewhere in Qeynos in EQ2, it definetely grabs my attention more than WoW's cities / zones do. I wish EQ2 had more open zones though

really quick, here's what im talking about.

alot of polygons...

err, 100?

Last edited by Sorrow; 12-16-04 at 11:08 AM.
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 12:11 PM   #58
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

You will get laugh from this
Source
Old 12-16-04, 12:57 PM   #59
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Ok guys, I'm having a more serious issue.

Performance, even with WOW and my 6800gt.

Frequenting Rage3d I reading through some of their WOW threads I noticed that a lot of the X800XT guys saying that they are getting 50 - 75fps at 1600x1200, 6x aa, 16af and all in game sliders maxed.

Well, if I run my GT at 1280x1064, 6xS aa, 16xaf, most sliders all the way up(not all mind you) I ws averaging 15-20fps.

Which worries me, because I'm not getting the best of performance from eq2.

Can any of you guys playing wow use fraps and just kind of give me an estimate, at max settings at that resolution pllease? Thanks.
Old 12-16-04, 01:10 PM   #60
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
go back to page 3 and take a look at tyr-sogs 1st picture, that should just about sum it all up, actually ill post it again for those who missed it

I know most of here are gfx junkies and love kool effects, this pic just sums it all up, look at that lighting

[IMG].jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, in all honesty it is truly the first game that I have played that I personally call a true next generation game. The detail(which IMO creats atmosphere) is amazing. More so then Doom3(i haven't played HL2, don't plan on to, so won't go there).

Thats not taking anything away from wow, it's beautiful, it's just not in eq2 league technically.

and like you said, the majority of us are here with 300-$600 graphic cards because we graphic *****s. lol