Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-04, 02:13 PM   #61
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
sorry, but WoW is not built for the future, everything is has is something ripped off from prior MMORPGs, whereas EQ2 is inventing new ways to play the game, and to increase player interactivity. WoW's graphics ARE dated, EQ2's characters have more polygons in their hands than WoW does in their WHOLE character model. WoW's shading resembles that of EQ1 quality. Spells aren't big and awesome looking, even EQLive had that. Bump mapping is nowhere in site in WoW, celestial phases of the moon in EQ2...WoW has that? where? Heat shimmer in EQ2 to make heat in deserts and fire spells / effects look realistic; don't see that in WoW. When it rains in EQ2, especially in commonlands, the ground becomes shiny and wet looking and stone giants begin to shine because of the wetness, footsteps change to the sound of walking in mud. Sorry if I come off as mean and arguementative, but it's impossible to even COMPARE EQ2's graphics to WoW's. Maybe compare WoW's to EQLive's (EQ1) post-luclin graphics...lol
Who cares? I stop paying attention to how the graphics look after the first couple of hours. The quality of the artwork in EQ2 is awful and no amount of advanced lighting or higher-polycount models can hide the fact that Blizzard just has far more talented artists.

The second screenshot you took is retarded. There is no reason to have the camera zoomed up that close to a creature and the game never looks like that. It was taken with the intent to be used in misleading way. World of Warcraft is quite breathtaking graphically, and if you say otherwise you simply haven't played it. I've played both games and EQ2 is very ugly to look at to me, even with all the pretty lights and bumpmaps.

Of course, the only thing that matters is gameplay, and WoW is very fun. I never played EQ2 for more than like 45 minutes so I can't comment there. Apparently those of you putting WoW down have not played it for more than 45 minutes either. There is a very complex trade, crafting, and grouping system with full support for PvP rewards in the making. The world the game takes place in is imaginative and full of life and character. Gameplay strongly emphasizes teamwork and interaction with players, and the quest system is an awesome way to take the "XP grind" out of the game, especially when many of the quests have you doing lots of different things. I've reached level 30 with my Rogue and I haven't felt that the game is repetitious at all. It's extremely fun and totally worth the money.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 02:23 PM   #62
0rk.p0rk

EQ2 is the biggest grind I have ever played. At least in WoW the story is actually pretty damn good. I'm sorry, but bland graphics with old gameplay that makes you endure the game rather than enjoy it is a no-no in my book. WoW all the way.
0rk.p0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 02:50 PM   #63
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09

The second screenshot you took is retarded. There is no reason to have the camera zoomed up that close to a creature and the game never looks like that. It was taken with the intent to be used in misleading way. World of Warcraft is quite breathtaking graphically, and if you say otherwise you simply haven't played it. I've played both games and EQ2 is very ugly to look at to me, even with all the pretty lights and bumpmaps.

Same deal with this published review from a popular site. Now if this isn't subliminal biaism, I don't know what it. lol

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/572/572447p6.html

Look at them comparison shots.
Old 12-16-04, 02:54 PM   #64
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespy
In the end, however, a game's art design has to win out over mere technical brilliance.
I agree with this entirely.

I didn't think either screen looked bad.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 12-16-04, 03:01 PM   #65
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Quote:

I thought they looked pretty good. That isn't a review you linked either, just a quick blurb about the graphic engines. I thought it was pretty accurate.

lol, yeah, lets find the most lush, colorful spot and pose for a picture without the interface displayed and with the graphic sliders cranked to the right. While not even giving second though about turning on on any of the water effects or for that matter and of the higher graphic option in eq. Not to mention just a random screen shot in a spot you'd never even need to go. Real accurate comparison there.
Old 12-16-04, 03:22 PM   #66
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Well, to be honest, that wasn't all that spectacular of a screenshot from World of Warcraft. There are plenty of areas in the game that are a lot more impressive looking than that. Notably, the entrance to Stormwind City or the Undercity. I realize the EQ 2 shot wasn't all that great but to be honest I thought it was pretty representative of what you see in the game. "Dull" is the word I would use to best describe the artwork in EQ2.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 12-16-04, 03:54 PM   #67
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

From the rage link

Quote:
There is essentially nothing to do but fight, accept quests, and develop your character.
Wow who would have expected that?
Old 12-16-04, 04:28 PM   #68
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

I can see EQ2 being still one of the top MMORPGs graphically, whereas WoW, well, it's gonna fall behind when Vanguard and Elder Scrolls IV comes out
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-04, 04:58 PM   #69
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Somebody sounds like a fanboy...
Old 12-16-04, 05:12 PM   #70
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
Ok guys, I'm having a more serious issue.

Performance, even with WOW and my 6800gt.

Frequenting Rage3d I reading through some of their WOW threads I noticed that a lot of the X800XT guys saying that they are getting 50 - 75fps at 1600x1200, 6x aa, 16af and all in game sliders maxed.

Well, if I run my GT at 1280x1064, 6xS aa, 16xaf, most sliders all the way up(not all mind you) I ws averaging 15-20fps.

Which worries me, because I'm not getting the best of performance from eq2.

Can any of you guys playing wow use fraps and just kind of give me an estimate, at max settings at that resolution pllease? Thanks.
Maybe becouse Nvidia doesn't have a real 6xAA the one you can get is throu RivaTuner and its not suppose to be used in games it cuts your FPS by ten fold , use 4xAA ! all other modes are especialy SuperSample are playable only on very outdated games.
Old 12-16-04, 05:17 PM   #71
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
Well, to be honest, that wasn't all that spectacular of a screenshot from World of Warcraft. There are plenty of areas in the game that are a lot more impressive looking than that. Notably, the entrance to Stormwind City or the Undercity. I realize the EQ 2 shot wasn't all that great but to be honest I thought it was pretty representative of what you see in the game. "Dull" is the word I would use to best describe the artwork in EQ2.
Becouse both games are completely different EQ2 was made to look more realistic with real proportional character bodys (offcourse its still a game and doesn't look real neither does HalfLife2 ), not WoW Fantazy over colored elefant ears elfs , not that i don't like Fantasy or something , but calling one bad art becouse its not cartoonish toon and another discovery of America is plain wrong and bias. If you don't like plain colored Hummer and prefer your Ten color Ferrari does that make Hummer are crap ? don't think so.
Old 12-16-04, 08:43 PM   #72
lognoronon

An MMORPG is meant to be played for a long time. That means you want good gameplay and most importantly fun gameplay. I have about 3 months time under my belt with EQ 2 including beta and it gets boring and just "feels" like too much of a grind. The artwork as was said before is just plain dull. Sure the engine is more techically advanced than WOW but that doesnt help with the crappy artwork. The game runs like crap and from a purely artistic standpoint is crap. It's obvious that blizzard has more talented artists since the game is so technically inferior yet somehow looks better. Screenshots just don't do it justice. You have to play the game to really get a feel for it. As I said before EQ 2 feels too much like a job like EQ 1 does now. WOW never ends up feeling like a job and I play as a priest which is the hardest class to play and I still like it better than any of the watered down way beyond being balanced and boring classes of EQ 2.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ