Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-04, 07:08 PM   #85
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Yes, a drab, dull, boring atmosphere, but an atmosphere nonetheless. Way to point out the obvious.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-04, 11:19 AM   #86
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

I am pretty pissed off now. the EQ2 servers have been down since 1PM yesterday. Something happened and SOE is trying to fix it (i hope), and they cant even give an ETA. I was thinkingthey would work thru the night and have it up by mornin but i guess not. All i wanna do i play EQ2. DammmIT!
this doesnt mean im buying WoW, i just dont have the cash to buy both as i just puchased my 6800 a couple weeks ago. But im really enjoying EQ2, its really fun but it isnt fun when you cant play it.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-04, 11:45 AM   #87
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Yeah, something major happened you can bet on that. lol

I've been reading over at SOE forums that it's going to be a 3 day rollback.

I've been playing Wow on and off for the last couple of weeks and got a lot of hours in in the last few days and this time spent playing it has reallt got me appreciating eq2. That said, it's unfinished and i'll continue to play wow(not a bad game by any means) until SOE gets their troubles sorted out. Be it today or 2 months from now.
Old 12-18-04, 11:46 AM   #88
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Take a look at Starwars Galaxies, you will be waiting a very long time
Old 12-18-04, 11:59 AM   #89
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Blah, go to wows or for that matter any game site with a tech forum and it could easily scare you away.
Old 12-18-04, 01:22 PM   #90
thunderhippo
Quadcore Vista Confusion

The devs said it would be a rollback to 12/17/04 9am pst.
thunderhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 10:24 AM   #91
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Take a look at Starwars Galaxies, you will be waiting a very long time
I thought they were the same game. EQ2 - run around with swords and summon monsters to fight for you. SWG - run around with swords and summon monsters to fight for you.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 04:14 PM   #92
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
I thought they were the same game. EQ2 - run around with swords and summon monsters to fight for you. SWG - run around with swords and summon monsters to fight for you.
Meh...that's the reason I haven't gotten into an Online RPG yet. Way too shallow. I'm hoping one day EA [yes yes, Satan, boo, hiss, get thy crucifix] will release a Middle Earth Online based off the movies. I'm sure Turbine's Middle Earth Online will be grand [I'll be sure to give it a try] but the movie's imagery is too ingrained in me now. When I think Minas Tirith I think of the one from the movie.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-04, 06:25 PM   #93
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Meh...that's the reason I haven't gotten into an Online RPG yet. Way too shallow. I'm hoping one day EA [yes yes, Satan, boo, hiss, get thy crucifix] will release a Middle Earth Online based off the movies. I'm sure Turbine's Middle Earth Online will be grand [I'll be sure to give it a try] but the movie's imagery is too ingrained in me now. When I think Minas Tirith I think of the one from the movie.
Wow.. you have a pretty generic impression of mmorpg. They are about immersion, Storyline, And teamwork among players, Going around and slashing swords and summoning monsters is about as generic as me saying.

"FPS are just about running through hallways and killing creatures/people online or in single player"

Just because something has a basic design doesnt mean a game cant innovate or be fun. WoW and EQ 2 offer quite a bit more than that.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 07:11 PM   #94
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Wow.. you have a pretty generic impression of mmorpg.
It's a generic genre. This year alone has seen clone after clone, with each one claiming to be innovative based on a bullet list of features that really effect nothing. Why do you think so many of them either died in the womb or were still born. We've entered an MMORPG craze but innovation and creativiy have yet to catch up with us.

Quote:
They are about immersion

D3 check.

Quote:
Storyline,
These games have storylines like Ninja's have rocket launchers. One of the basic subsets of a story is an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. The MMORPGs I've played lacked exposition [I was just thrust into the game with nary a thought or preperation]. They have no Climaxs and Resolutions since the games go on forever. They have some background history to flesh out the world, but that's not a story. History of Middle Earth [12 volume series detailing well...the History of Middle Earth from the fall of the elves to the Fourth Age and onward] does not have a storyline. It's simply backstory to flesh out the world. Lord of the Rings actually has a real honest to god story/plot. I think you simply butchered the technical meaning of the word storyline and misconstrued it as a bunch of words that seem to almost form a coherent paragraph. Not only that but MMORPGs could have meta-plots if they wanted to, Vampire the Masquerade [the tabletop game, not the pc one] did and it's a freaking storytelling source book. So that 'but they're non-linear games' crap doesn't fly with me. If Vampire could do it so could online rpgs. I'm not expecting shakespeare hear, but a little meta-plot wouldn't kill these guys.

Quote:
And teamwork among players,
Great. Don't much care for that though. Also don't see what it has do with not being generic, since a crapload of games outside of ORPGs have that as well. It's like saying these games are not generic because they have swords.

Quote:
Going around and slashing swords and summoning monsters is about as generic as me saying.
If the boot fits...

Quote:
"FPS are just about running through hallways and killing creatures/people online or in single player"
With a genre name like First Person Shooter what do you expect? Tea Time with Marry Poppins aboard the Queen Mary? Besides most FPS games are exactly as your described [ya they take a spin here and there, but at the end of the day you CAN compare HL2, D3, and FC. Why? Because in essence they do the exact same thing]. So I'd have no problems with you generalizing the genre in such a way. The boot fits.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 12:23 AM   #95
ChrisRay

Quote:
These games have storylines like Ninja's have rocket launchers. One of the basic subsets of a story is an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. The MMORPGs I've played lacked exposition [I was just thrust into the game with nary a thought or preperation]. They have no Climaxs and Resolutions since the games go on forever. They have some background history to flesh out the world, but that's not a story. History of Middle Earth [12 volume series detailing well...the History of Middle Earth from the fall of the elves to the Fourth Age and onward] does not have a storyline. It's simply backstory to flesh out the world. Lord of the Rings actually has a real honest to god story/plot. I think you simply butchered the technical meaning of the word storyline and misconstrued it as a bunch of words that seem to almost form a coherent paragraph. Not only that but MMORPGs could have meta-plots if they wanted to, Vampire the Masquerade [the tabletop game, not the pc one] did and it's a freaking storytelling source book. So that 'but they're non-linear games' crap doesn't fly with me. If Vampire could do it so could online rpgs. I'm not expecting shakespeare hear, but a little meta-plot wouldn't kill these guys
They do have background stories. They are a "Role Playing" game. A Role Playing game is not a game you have a set story and follow it through to conclusion. They have a basic storyline and background

You are confusing a plot with a story. A story does not neccasarily have a plot. It can be a history of events. A background detail to immersion of the world. But a story does not neccasarily have to have a plot where events are triggered. If you want that kind of game. Then a maybe a japanese style automated story book is for you (AKA japan RPGS) There are no plots in MMORPG because you assume your own role. The entire idea is for you to take on a role in a world thats been created for you. Not for you to play a set storyline. Everything you suggested would not equal a "True" Role playing game. They are Multiplayer, Online, Role Playing games.

World of Warcraft also has a great deal of background story too it.

Quote:
Great. Don't much care for that though. Also don't see what it has do with not being generic, since a crapload of games outside of ORPGs have that as well. It's like saying these games are not generic because they have swords.
No offense, If you go around playing a mmorpg solo. You have no real business playing the game anyway. Teamwork, Friendship, and strategies are required to win in a mmorpg,

Trade skills, Economy, Questing. Are all very important aspects of MMORPG, And as the genre has developed these have become a neccesity for the games as well. Both WOW and Everquest 2 feature quest systems and progression systems based off those quests. These quests will also bottleneck your progress.

Quote:
With a genre name like First Person Shooter what do you expect? Tea Time with Marry Poppins aboard the Queen Mary? Besides most FPS games are exactly as your described [ya they take a spin here and there, but at the end of the day you CAN compare HL2, D3, and FC. Why? Because in essence they do the exact same thing]. So I'd have no problems with you generalizing the genre in such a way. The boot fits.
Well if thats your reasonining. I'll just label everything generic then. I mean Doom 3 is just killing demons to finish the game. Sonic, is just another platform game. Any category can be generic. But the games themselves arent. Any title you bring up. I will be able to label as generic. Because it fits a certain category of game.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 08:26 AM   #96
Sgt_Pitt

hehe well said chris

You make your own stories in EQ2 and WoW, you become part of the tales if your lucky enough or good enough to become well known