Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
I say go play Horizons!
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 10:31 AM   #99
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

I'd pick WoW, but that's because of what the reviewers and my friends are saying about it, I have no personal experience with either game. That is to change soon however, I'm buying the WoW Final Beta Kit soon
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 11:00 AM   #100
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Well if thats your reasonining. I'll just label everything generic then. I mean Doom 3 is just killing demons to finish the game. Sonic, is just another platform game. Any category can be generic. But the games themselves arent. Any title you bring up. I will be able to label as generic. Because it fits a certain category of game.

Well put! That was an excellent response. I was going to respond to him but you said everything I was gonna say
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 11:10 AM   #101
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
No offense, If you go around playing a mmorpg solo. You have no real business playing the game anyway. Teamwork, Friendship, and strategies are required to win in a mmorpg
I believe this should really be optional for the most part, you should be able to complete the game if you wish by yourself. Of course the advantages to teaming up with people are taking on stronger beasts and getting better drops. Personally once I'm playing the damn game I'll just be blacksmithing away like crazy
Old 12-20-04, 06:09 PM   #102
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
I believe this should really be optional for the most part, you should be able to complete the game if you wish by yourself. Of course the advantages to teaming up with people are taking on stronger beasts and getting better drops. Personally once I'm playing the damn game I'll just be blacksmithing away like crazy

Well Soloing really is an option in most modern MMORPGs, But you shouldnt be able to solo some content thats epic ((For instance dragons))

But yes most modern mmorpgs have no excuse not to provide solo content, EQ 2 and WoW have paved the way to the expectations we will have for mmorpg content in the future.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 06:27 PM   #103
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Well Soloing really is an option in most modern MMORPGs, But you shouldnt be able to solo some content thats epic ((For instance dragons))

But yes most modern mmorpgs have no excuse not to provide solo content, EQ 2 and WoW have paved the way to the expectations we will have for mmorpg content in the future.
You are right there, items and creatures that are extremely powerful should only be able to be found when you are in a group but the main quest as a whole should always be able to be completed with solo
Old 12-20-04, 07:41 PM   #104
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

I've soloed all the way up to lvl 19 dwarf priest in WOW. I've talked to many 30-35 lvl players in the game that said they soloed up until those lvls and said the game was easy up until that point. Tends to get boring IMO, no one needs to group, so no one does. I've ran in to a few mobs when traveling that could have used a group to take down but in those couple of times I couldn't get anything together. I strarted on the crafting part of the game. Tailoring is pretty simple and I took on Herbalism and aside from going around and collecting planets, I haven't found a use for it. Thats at lvl 110. I also think there should be some pentaly for dieing, allbeit not as harsh as eq2s. I think a pentality would overall creat an atmosphere for more careful play. Community tends to be a bit on the childish side. Names like Pimpdaddy, Playboy, etc are frequent if thats any indication lol. Overall I feel like I'm playing a platformer with some mmo aspects.

EQ2 I have a lvl 27 half-elf ranger and a lvl 15 human mage. The game tends to lean more towards group play. I have soloed with my mage, grouped more with my Ranger. Like people said, the game is more work then wow but I believe in the end has more of a lasting appeal. The overall depth of eq2 is greater then wow in every catagory. Which for some is why it tends to be work. It's like the simulator of mmos, crafting takes work, battling named and group mobs takes work and more thought in who is going to fill your six slots for a group, etc, etc.

That being said, I think overall I enjoy eq2 system(crafting, grouping, fighting system), art style(wow is awsome too) and technical aspect(bump mapping, lighting etc) more but I'm still not sure what game I want to continue to play. WOW is just so polished, it runs so well. Fraps doesn't move off of 60fps(vsync enabled) with in game options maxed. EQ2 just feels unfinished and all though it more technically advanced the wow, it should run way better. It seems like no matter what options I play with, what company graphic card I try, it's just not going to tun good. When I solo with with mage, dropping spells on mobs the fps his 10-12, groups only lower, even on low settings. Really hampers gameplay. The sound feels really unfinished.

Ughh, decisions, decisions.....

Old 12-21-04, 12:58 AM   #105
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
I've soloed all the way up to lvl 19 dwarf priest in WOW. I've talked to many 30-35 lvl players in the game that said they soloed up until those lvls and said the game was easy up until that point. Tends to get boring IMO, no one needs to group, so no one does.
You don't need to group to kill creatures your own level, no. But it's entirely wrong that no one groups together. Yes, soloing is boring. Grouping is fun. So group!

By the way, I'd enjoy seeing someone solo the player level 60 instanced elite dungeons. If they can do it, then damn, they've got one pimp character

The pentalty for dying in WoW is basically monetary only. When you die, your armor and weapons lose about 10% durability. If you resurrect at the spirit healer, it's 25% or so and also some resurrection sickness. It's perfect. I don't like to die, but when it happens it doesn't make me feel like I've wasted hours of work or anything like that (like EQ was, I think).

What do you do in the end-game of EQ2 anyway?
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 01:52 AM   #106
nrdstrm

BTW, SOE is supposed to be introducing alot more solo content in the next big patch. Also on the horizon for late next year is Vanguard : Saga of Heros. It is by Sigil Games. Basically, Sigil is a new company made up of a bunch of people that made the original EQ.I've been interested for a while in this and talked to one of the Devs on the game the other day at work (he was getting his computer fixed). Said I will get into the ealy beta (yeah). It's gonna be fun to see some of the new MMO's at E3 this year too (Vanguard, D&D Online, Middle Earth Online).
Nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 06:58 AM   #107
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
You are right there, items and creatures that are extremely powerful should only be able to be found when you are in a group but the main quest as a whole should always be able to be completed with solo

What Main Quest? *Confused* the entire games a giant quest
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 08:34 AM   #108
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
I've soloed all the way up to lvl 19 dwarf priest in WOW. I've talked to many 30-35 lvl players in the game that said they soloed up until those lvls and said the game was easy up until that point. Tends to get boring IMO, no one needs to group, so no one does. I've ran in to a few mobs when traveling that could have used a group to take down but in those couple of times I couldn't get anything together. I strarted on the crafting part of the game. Tailoring is pretty simple and I took on Herbalism and aside from going around and collecting planets, I haven't found a use for it. Thats at lvl 110. I also think there should be some pentaly for dieing, allbeit not as harsh as eq2s. I think a pentality would overall creat an atmosphere for more careful play. Community tends to be a bit on the childish side. Names like Pimpdaddy, Playboy, etc are frequent if thats any indication lol. Overall I feel like I'm playing a platformer with some mmo aspects.
Wow. I'm blown away. You made it all the way to level 19 and you STILL don't know how to play the game. Since you obviously didn't bother reading the manual or asking other players, you shouldn't be surprised that you haven't found a use for your Herbalism skill - it's a GATHERING profession. Since you didn't take an associated CRAFTING profession (Alchemy or Enchanting in this case) you will find no use for herbalism, except to sell at the Auction House maybe. Level 110 is NOT high for herbalism.

The penalty for death was removed for several reasons. It was tested in Beta and found to be no fun. Remember, WoW tries to appeal to the CASUAL gamer, not the 24-7 powergaming freaks.

Any level 30-35 player who said he solo'd to his level is either lying, or spent his time grinding mobs and didn't do any quests. It is impossible (not difficult, impossible) to solo an instanced dungeon (the most rewarding dungeons), and most of the regular quests after level 15 involve taking on large groups of monsters or elite bosses. I'm level 34 now, and I haven't solo'd since my mid-teens. I group as much as I can, am active in my guild, and spend a lot of time interacting with other players.

Your comment about the community is ridiculous. Of course there are a few players who have stupid names, every MMORPG is like that. You forgot to mention that these people are in the VAST minority. I have only run into one or two of these players in my entire time playing WoW, and if I see them it's not at all difficult to /ignore them. Almost every player I've run into was very helpful, friendly, and mature.

"All the way up to 19" really made me laugh. The pace of leveling in the game is such that level 19 isn't difficult to achieve at all. I got my character to 19 in 3 days, and that was in 5-6 hour sessions.

You obviously know very little about the game or are being intentionally dishonest. Absolutely nothing you said is representative of the game in any way. Either you haven't played the game at all and are making it all up, or you have played the game and are so blatantly absent-minded that you failed to understand even the most basic requisites of gameplay. No matter which it is, you are not at all in any position to be commenting on the game. This is not "fanboy-ism" on my part - what you said is completely ridiculous. It's not at all different from saying this:

"I've played all the way to the 3rd level in Half-Life 2, and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I've talked to people who played all the way to the 5th level and they say that the game's really boring and easy. I've only run into a few enemies that even require guns to shoot, I can kill almost everything with just my crowbar. The gravity gun is OK I guess but I don't see the point in picking up boxes and throwing them around. I mean, since you can't use large objects as a shield or sharp objects as weapons, what's the point? I got the boat, but I can't figure out what to do with it. I've been pushing it all the way through the level but the level's just too big to keep pushing the darn thing! If you could actually drive it it'd be better. Overall, this game just feels like a realtime strategy with some racing sim elements. I'd rather be playing Doom 3."
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote