Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-04, 02:48 AM   #157
Godspell

Default Re: Chronicles of Riddick Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo
Thats is a WinXp service pack issue.
Either re-install (Sp1a)or(SP2).

Had the same error cause I was still running an old beta of winxp no SP's at all, just hot fixes.

Just installed SP1a and fixed the problem.

Hope that helps.
I guess im sol cause my copy of windows is not licenced or something and i cant get any of the updates. Could i tell them my xbox broke and i want a free copy of windows?
Old 12-26-04, 03:17 AM   #158
macatak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
I just got to "the pit" and this is an AMAZING game. I have been hooked to my computer for hours... I cant stop playing.

And it isnt crashing when I die any more. Ive reloaded and died quite a bit and havent had a problem. I turned off 3d sound and EAX, and also stopped YIM from running in the background, so it could have been any of those that fixed it. I wish the voices were a bit easier to hear in some places. With 3d sound on they are almost silent some times... so I recommend turning on all of the subtitles, it really helps.

This game really really kicks ass though.

*Spoiler*
One question. When you see the first mech guy, what are you supposed to do? I just outran him and jumped on the elevator and everything seemed to work out fine. Im just hoping i didnt miss some great prize by not staying back to kill him (if its possible).
You can kill the 1st Mech guy but there's no prize...lol
Old 12-26-04, 07:26 AM   #159
wickfut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
Well, now I know its not my system. I have the same problem at high resolution, switching form 1600x1200 w/2xAA to 1280x960 w/ 4xAA fixed the problem for me.
care to point me in the direction on how you turn AA on ?
Old 12-26-04, 07:28 AM   #160
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Do not use PS 2.0++ and wallah! AA is forced on thru CP!!!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:00 AM   #161
wickfut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
Do not use PS 2.0++ and wallah! AA is forced on thru CP!!!
nice one

i dont think i can use ps2.0++ on a res higher than 800x640 or it goes rather slow
Old 12-26-04, 04:31 PM   #162
test4echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspell
I guess im sol cause my copy of windows is not licenced or something and i cant get any of the updates. Could i tell them my xbox broke and i want a free copy of windows?
Godspell,

You can fix that by finding a util called (wish I scould tell you) and the FULL 133mb SP1a.
Follow the instructions and you can update to sp1a.
I can't give you the links here, but that Utiility is out there if you look.
So, all is not lost.....
Took me 5 minutes to find it all and fix the issue.

Good Luck.

Test,
test4echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 03:07 AM   #163
CaptNKILL
CUBE

This game is absolutely amazing! I cant stop playing it! I just did the mech level a little while ago and WOW, thats sooo sweet

Heres what I have to say about this game so far:
*Id call it the best looking game of the year. Very detailed textures that are artistically well done (high resolution textures arent worth much if the artists sucks). Great use of bump mapping, specular mapping and normal mapping (NOT overdone). Best lighting ive seen (again, NOT overdone)... and the characters just look GREAT overall, models, animation, faces... just great.
*the interface is perfect and is easy to use and looks awesome (the cube thing that moves is so cool)
*the gameplay is original and extremely fun... plenty of shooting, puzzle solving, melee combat, sneaking... I love it!
*guns are accurate and can do 1 shot kills, yet some times a silent neck snap is still a better choice... gameplay cant get much more balanced than that, can it?
*it runs perfectly smooth pretty much all the time (50+ fps at 1600x1200, 8xAF, all settings max, PS 2.0 mode)
*relatively bug free (even that crash I get isnt serious... it takes a whole 10 seconds to get back to where i was in the game because the interface and load times are so great... i can even click through all of the intro videos instantly... i wish all games allowed this)
*the voice acting is very convincing... some people may not like Vin but I think hes awesome, and I always enjoy his characters... this game is no different, it still gives me that evil smirk when hes taunting his enemies, just like the movies... its just so well done
*sound effects are perfect... nothing jumps out at me as being out of place or irritating or badly sampled. It just sounds great.
*the secret item idea is just kick ass... unlocking developer content by exploration is an awesome idea, more games should do this
*VERY SHORT LOAD TIMES... I dont know how they pulled it off with so much detail in the levels, but it loads incredibly fast compaired to most other games ive played in the past 4 years.

I wont comment on any more right now... I'll wait till I finish it. I hope there is still a bunch to this game. It seems like ive ALMOST escaped 4 different times... I dont mind if that keeps happening, I dont want this game to end
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 03:29 AM   #164
macatak

Yeah, i'm on my 3rd playthrough atm, took different paths this time and also finding i'm getting better with the combat moves which makes me feel even more badass...heh, just love the 'grab the guards gun and shoot him in the head move' and walk up behind some dude and do the 'quick neck-snap', good fun

ps, if you unlock the 'extra content' you can view all the 'combat moves', there's about twelve in all.

Old 12-27-04, 10:34 AM   #165
test4echo

I'd have to agree with you guys.
Picked it up for my Son (hehehe) for Christmas.
I can't really believe what I'm seeing!
The game really is graphically fantastic. (as well as the gameplay)
I am also of the opinion it really does outshine Half-life 2 and Doom3.
Its too bad the engine doesn't do Large Outdoor areas as well.

I do have some issues though with the game.
I cannot get in a fire fight if I am inside one room, and the Tango's are in another.
The FPS drops like a rock to 2-10 FPS. Becomes impossible to shoot anyone.
Its strange because, If I can sneak into the same room as the tango's, I get no FPS hit.
Its not a Checkpoint area, so I find it strange that a simple door seperating us causes problems like this.
Other than that, No crashes AT ALL.

I think the community really missed the ball on this one.
It goes to show that games can look fantastic,while keeping loadtimes down to almost 3 seconds (how did they do that?!) and keeping FPS way up there!

I'm really looking forward to more games using the breeze engine.

Thanks for the heads up on this Great Game guys!

Test,
test4echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 12:35 PM   #166
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, we don't KNOW the engine doesn't do large outdoor areas, they just weren't used in Riddick. I'm interested in seeing what the mod community puts togeather. And I didn't think the loading times were that great really, at least on my computer they were around 8 seconds usually (about the same as the Xbox version). Areas are a bit small, but at least they have a lot of things in them.

Oh, and I'm replaying the game with the commentary mode, MAN is that a cool feature! Screw the short length, it'll take me another 20 hours to play through the game listening to all the developer comments. Some of those are really funny too, although in a way it's bad replaying the game with them because they point out all the problems and issues that are in the game. I'll never look at the shotgun animation the same way again, heh. Still, it's like buying a game and getting the "making of" book absolutly free, rather than charging you another $30+ for it *cough*Raisingthebar*cough* . And the sad thing is, the game manages to retail for nearly half the price as the other major FPS games this year (since Half-life 2 and Doom 3 retailed for $55). Talk about a pleasant surprise, here we thought the year was over, and an amazing game that wasn't talked about at all is suddenly released for $30. I hope the game sells well enough that Starbreeze goes on to improve the engine and make another game with it. Now if only they still had the Enclave lisence...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 01:08 PM   #167
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

I really have to say this but Riddick blew my mind. This was one of the best gaming experiences since a long time. Totally worth the 35 I paid for it.

Amazing "Total Recall / Outland" ambience with a mix of the gameplay from Kingpin and the excellent commentaries of Riddick like in the movies.

Why is this game not getting more advertising and attention? It's certainly is one of the best games this year.

If you still not have bought this game and felt asleep while playing HL2, head to the next store and get this game!
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 01:20 PM   #168
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow
If you still not have bought this game and felt asleep while playing HL2, head to the next store and get this game!
Well, I think most of the people in this thread have already bought the game, since this is the Riddick FEEDBACK thread
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote