Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-04, 05:53 PM   #1
Lertets

Default multiple monitors

i was wondering if there was a way to have one computer using linux and its virtual desktops process "three things at once" and display accordingly on different lcd screens.

I mean for example i wanna have three lcd's connected to one comp, yet i want those three lcd's to do something different.

I dont know if i explained what i wanna do very well....but i'd b happy to clear it up if n e body would like to help

thanks
Lertets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 02:03 PM   #2
mariuz
Albino penguin

Lightbulb Re: multiple monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lertets
i was wondering if there was a way to have one computer using linux and its virtual desktops process "three things at once" and display accordingly on different lcd screens.

I mean for example i wanna have three lcd's connected to one comp, yet i want those three lcd's to do something different.

I dont know if i explained what i wanna do very well....but i'd b happy to clear it up if n e body would like to help

thanks
You mean on screen1: mozilla screen 2: openoffice screen3: terminal ?

I think it could be done using Xinerama
Xinerama-HOWTO -> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/
ps: i'm using only two monitors
Old 12-01-04, 09:39 AM   #3
lluisgomes

Default Re: multiple monitors

yes it is oke for this pourpose ... but ::

i try to do it with 1 nvidia GForce4 AGP card and one ATI pci card and i think it's impossible to use twinView and xinerama at the same time ::

or not?

also with xinerama not all displays has the XVideo extension ...
lluisgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:33 AM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

You're asking for a configuration that's pretty ambitious. Three displays are hard enough under Linux without mixing NVIDIA and ATI cards. If you search the forum, you'll see that most mortals have troube getting two displays running from the same card.
Old 12-11-04, 02:32 PM   #5
cgdef

With the hardware that you want to use I can tell you that this would be damn near impossible. There is no way that I know of or even heard of to mix nvidia and ati cards. If you are willing to give up your hardware acceleration then that is a compleatelly diffent beast. In that can you can do that even though it is time consuming, oh yeah and you will need a third video card. The most elaborate setup that I have seen is a computer with 3 pci tnt2 cards and 1 agp tnt2 card. There were 4 monitors and 4 sets of keyboards and mice connected to the computer and you could run programs on all 4 terminals as if they were separate computer. The performance wasn't amazing but it was good enough so it's usable. Now keep in mind that that was a computer designed by HP and I believe it would soon be available for retail in Africa and some other 3rd world countries. HP has a lot of people very proficient in everything linux and unix related. So for you setting up your configuration might be a gigantic task (I have no idea how much you know about linux, your particular distribution, and your version of the X server).

So to sum all this up, if you really want to use 3 monitors in the way described look into buying a matrox card. anything else would most likelly be too hard for you to setup and you are not very likelly to find help with it for free.
cgdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 05:28 PM   #6
szczepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lertets

thanks

its possible but in diffrent way.....i mean you need keboyrd and mouse for each screen....accually own X server....running at same time .....and its not the easiest thing to do ...here is the tutorial

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/
szczepan is offline   Reply With Quote