Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-04, 03:55 PM   #1
AngelGraves13

Default Commander Keen

Anyone remember Commander Keen: The Defender of the Universe? It was a 7 game series by Id Software before they moved on to Wolfenstein 3-D. Games 4 to 6 include a built-in game of Pong in the main menu, just in case you get bored.

Billy Blaze, better known as Commander Keen was Id Software's PC magic at a time when consoles were the latest and greatest, and since the introduction of Nintendo and Super Mario Bros., the PC game market was yet to come out with a game that used the full potential of the 286.

Commander Keen began with the "Invasion of the Vorticons" triliogy which includes, Keen 1: Marooned on Mars, Keen 2: The Earth Explodes, and Keen 3: Keen Must Die! Some of these games were created by Id Software on their spare time, and after its release they quickly began working on their new technology for Keen 4 to 7.

The next big release in the Commander Keen series was the "Goodbye Galaxy" set, which includes Keen 4: The Secret of the Oracle, and Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine. These games had smooth side scrolling graphics and were some of the first games to fully use EGA and the potential of the 386.

Id software released Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! before Keen 5, because they were made in the order of 4, 6, 5. By hitting F1 in Keen 4 or 5, you can see the dated order form for Keen 6 and it mentioning "if you are sucessful in Keen 5," which you'd have to be to keep playing on.

And last but not least is Commander Keen in "Keen Dreams," also known as "the lost game" and I'm sure probably a lot of different names. I'm still unsure if "Keen Dreams" was crafted before the "Goodbye Galaxy" set, but it's worth checking out since it was released as freeware.

The latest versions of all the Commander Keen games are as follows:

Commander Keen: "Invasion of the Vorticons"
+Keen 1: Marooned on Mars 1.31
+Keen 2: The Earth Explodes 1.31
+Keen 3: Keen Must Die! 1.31

Commander Keen: "Goodbye Galaxy"
+Keen 4: The Secret of the Oracle 1.4
+Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine 1.4
+Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! 1.5

+Keen 7: Keen Dreams 1.13

NOTE: All patches, and shareware (Keen 1, 4, 7) games, except for Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! version 1.5 can be uptained from Beyond the Pogo.

Enjoy!

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 01-25-05 at 05:28 AM.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 04:03 PM   #2
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: Commander Keen

Great find man, thx!
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 04:07 PM   #3
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

I loved Commander Keen, along with Duke Nuken [pre FPS], and Cosmo.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 04:08 PM   #4
AngelGraves13

It was my favorite game as a kid. I drew a lot of pictures of Commander Keen. Back then I only had a PC Speaker. Since then, I've been a die hard id software fan all the way. They've never let me down with a single game.

If you guys are looking to run Wolf3D in OpenGL, you might want to give NewWolf a go. You can find that at the NewWolf website. Only problem with this port is that the source code for it was released and is no longer being worked on. The current version is 0.72. I'd like to see someone pick this up and actually finish it, but oh well.

I wonder when the source code to the Commander Keen games will be released, so we can all enjoy a nice Windows/Mac/Linux port of it.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 12-14-04 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 06:43 PM   #5
einstein_314
w00t!!

awesome. I was trying to play keen a few weeks ago but it just wouldn't work properly. Now it's awesome. Thanks man.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 06:59 PM   #6
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

There should be a Welcome to Ages Ago smilie, or something equally lame...
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 08:03 PM   #7
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
There should be a Welcome to Ages Ago smilie, or something equally lame...
Quoting your sig, what's the point? What was last week and what's equally lame. I'm lost.
Old 12-14-04, 08:03 PM   #8
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

While we'r on the subject of old news....

You who are interested in this might want to try Vdmsound. Another dos sound emulator to play old games, it's easier to use then DosBox, and where one fail the other might work.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-04, 08:10 PM   #9
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Red face Re: Commander Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero1978
i wanna play DEATHRALLY again...
I miss that game it owned , to bad noone made a remake of it
Old 12-14-04, 08:21 PM   #10
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon
While we'r on the subject of old news....

You who are interested in this might want to try Vdmsound. Another dos sound emulator to play old games, it's easier to use then DosBox, and where one fail the other might work.
Does VDMsound ONLY emulate sound? Or is it something similar to DosBox? To go into more detail, is it just an add-on to Windows' Dos or a seperate program? I might give it a go.
Old 12-14-04, 08:28 PM   #11
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I actually emulate lots of things, vesa, mscdex etc etc

It's easier to use then DosBox.

Its not a separate dos emulation as DosBox as it will intergrate with your windows in a better manner, You right click on an old exe file and run with Vdms
I like it more then dosbox, but I still use both
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 08:38 PM   #12
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon
I actually emulate lots of things, vesa, mscdex etc etc

It's easier to use then DosBox.

Its not a separate dos emulation as DosBox as it will intergrate with your windows in a better manner, You right click on an old exe file and run with Vdms
I like it more then dosbox, but I still use both
Back on topic, which is better to emulate Commander Keen? Windows does a terrible job at running Commander Keen. As soon as something moves on the screen, there is excessive tearing.