Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-04, 11:48 AM   #1
ikonia

Post dual headed nvidia frame buffer 2.6 kernel howto

All,

I have been looking without sucess for a howto on configuring the dual headed frame buffer driver in the 2.6 kernel with my nvidia 5700 dual headed card ?

has anyone done this ? does anyone have a howto to do this ?

I'd be really interested in hearing about framebuffer / nvidia configs, especially in the dual headed situation.

thanks
ikonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 12:51 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: dual headed nvidia frame buffer 2.6 kernel howto

There is no working nvidia framebuffer driver. Because of this you can already forget about twinview and a framebuffer driver. (rivafb is very buggy and doesn't work with the nvidia drivers and beside that it is also very basic)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 01:02 PM   #3
ikonia

I have to admit to growing less and less impressed with nvidia on the linux side of it.
Talking to developers I hear "we take the linux project very seriously" yet there is no frame buffer driver, I personally am having problems with the X driver for twinview I get poor support for Nvidia on this.

Yet Nvidia will still not open this up to the opensource community.

I just dont understand it.

It looks like its time to change graphics cards.
ikonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 04:32 PM   #4
Thunderbird

If you can program yourself you can build your own framebuffer driver on top of the nvidia drivers. Roughly it could be done like this. The nvidia X driver (nvidia_drv.o) is actually a shared library. All X drivers contain some standard functions to initialize them, query information about it and some other things. It is possible to make a simple module that loads this driver and implements the limit number of X calls needed to initialize the driver.

Then the idea will be not to reimplement X but just to emulate enough so that the DGA extension can work. (basicly DGA is just framebuffer access which is what we want) So by loading the nvidia driver and doing enough to get DGA running, it is possible to create a nvidia framebuffer which works together with the drivers.

Note nobody has implemented this but I think it is possible ...
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote