Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-04, 10:21 AM   #1
kibanadai

Default successfully resumed from S3

Hi guys,

I am really happy to tell you all that I managed to suspend my inspiron 5150 with BIOS A37 to suspend to ram (s3 state). I am using mandrake 10.1 official with kernel 2.6.8.1-20. The graphic board is GeForce FX 5200 Go. I am not very expert in Linux but at the same time I am not a novice too. I am using Nvidia driver 6629. My problem was that I was able to suspend it properly but on resume the screen was blank. Everything else seemed to work as I could hit ctrl-alt-del and reboot the computer. I just disabled the frame buffer. This is how I describe what I did. Basically, I .removed the VGA= line from lilo.conf. In other words I went to Mandrake control center and went into the boot category clicked modify button to modify the Linux entry. Press advance button and select the video mode which shows blank means nothing selected. This would select a simple text mode and you are done. Without unloading any module just suspend using klaptop or echo -n mem > /sys/power/state. When you press power switch again, the computer should be back with x running and everything as it is. if someone is interested in more details, I would be happy to provide.

enjoy..
kibanadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 06:08 AM   #2
kibanadai

Default Re: successfully resumed from S3

hi guys,

there is a additional remark to what I posted above. If I pass lapic=on kernel parameter in lilo.conf, resume does not work. However, pci=noacpi kernel parameter does the trick and resuming works perfect. I am really surprised seeing no reply or comment. This suggest that other people out there are not suffering from black screen after resumiing from S3. I know that what I found is not universal solution. But at least there should be other folks out there who have inspiron 5150 and having the same problem. Anyway, I am really happy.
kibanadai is offline   Reply With Quote