Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-04, 10:42 PM   #13
ChrisRay

Default Re: 6800GT stuttering

Anyone who complains their hardware doesnt work perfectly out of spec and OCing.. well deserves to be slapped around some. I really feel sorry for Nvidia/ATI/XGI. When people come to them with problems generated from overclocking.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 10:46 PM   #14
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

an overclocked card unstable.... no ****ing way!!
Old 12-23-04, 12:12 AM   #15
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

well the fact that before the card was perfectly stable at those clocks and now it doesnt work just ticks me off.... i tried with fastwrites off and low clocks and i still get lockups in cs souce and stuttering in far cry with the 66.93s...... when are the stupid 70s suposed to come out... i gota give those a try..... betas didnt work well for me when i last tried so im waiting for final...
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 01:22 AM   #16
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

My GT used to do 425/1100. Now it seems to crap out at anything beyond stock [though I'm not entirely convinced it was the OC that did her in seeing as how all my problems occur in 2d yet 3d runs without a hitch, 2d being at 350]. I could RMA it if I wanted to [still under eVGA's warrenty] but I OCed it and it still runs without a hitch at stock so I got what I paid for [except for the VPU, but that's why I'll simply download the decoder if I ever need it, not going to pay for something that was promised to me originaly at purchase].
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 03:30 AM   #17
smthmlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator
i just upgraded to a athlon 64 winchester with Msi neo 2 platinum and now i get the famous stuttering problems with my 6800GT.... [...] ..... i would prefer to keep fastwrites on as I lost 400 pts in 3dmark05 by upgrading to an a64 from an axp..
Wait, you upgraded from a 32bit Athlon XP chip to a 64bit athlon64 winchester and LOST points in a benchmark? Something doesn't seem right to me, considering every gaming benchmark ive read at the various hardware review sites shows any amd64 chip blowing away the xp3200... Correct me if im wrong, though
smthmlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 05:56 AM   #18
jolle

If it stutters on the new Mobo, while it didnt on the old, it sounds alot like it would be down to the difference in AGP implementation between either the chipsets or the mobos themselves..

Did your old chipset use all the features the new one does?
SBA, FW and such?

you got the propper chipset drivers installed?
might be a idea to look around nforcershq.com forums on the issue aswell.

EDIT
Does 3dMark05 take CPU into noticable concideration?
seing how 3dmark03 was hardly affected by CPU at all..

How are your games running?
Old 12-23-04, 07:37 AM   #19
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smthmlk
Wait, you upgraded from a 32bit Athlon XP chip to a 64bit athlon64 winchester and LOST points in a benchmark? Something doesn't seem right to me, considering every gaming benchmark ive read at the various hardware review sites shows any amd64 chip blowing away the xp3200... Correct me if im wrong, though
i didnt lose performance because my cpu is slower... my a64 is way faster than my old tbred..... but its the fact that i cant run the same clocks on the card anyone that causes me to lose performance....and the fact that it keeps stuttering....

now as for my old mobo..... ya it had all those options on like fastwrites, sideband addresing, etc.... it was an asus A7N8X rev 2 Deluxe....it worked perfectly fine... never had one problem..... with the my neo2 platinum... lots of problems... and yes i have the latest drivers for both mobo/gfx.... and games like farcry keep stuttering and cs:s keeps locking up
Old 12-23-04, 07:58 AM   #20
jolle

I went thru hell and fire with my Neo Platinum (s745) aswell.
Seems to have stabilized alot, got alot of BSODs and stuff when shutting some games down, like CS:S or BF, before...

I think my problems were largly related to the Extreme G drivers, but not entirely.
Moving from ForceWares Refreshrate overrides to Reforce seemed to stabilze things further.
And the few remaining issues I blame my old TwinMOS 333Mhz Ram on, until I get the cash to by new RAM and se if they remain or not.

Aside from that, I also checked the "blit" settings in RivaTuner as prev mentioned, which transformed D3 from disaster to extremely playable.
Swapped out and tried different nForce drivers, I was given the advice to NOT use Nvs SW IDE driver, which did seem to help stability too.
Turned off Fastwrites in a early stage so I dont know if it helped, still had alot of problems after doing so.
Also removed the A64 DEP support in boot.ini as some mentioned it to conflict with the drivers, not sure on if that did anything tho, but seeing how my AntiVirus software doesnt support DEP it seemed like I had nothing to loose.

So as it stands right now, it works, its pretty stable and I rarly get any BSODs.
But they still happen, rare as they may be, so Im guessing its either RAM or PSU, and the PSU is 480W but on the otherhand rather noname, so I cant entirly rule it out.
It did however work perfecty fine on my old setup, which is identical except for the 9700Pro, XP2700+, Asus A7n8x Deluxe.

Old 12-23-04, 08:01 AM   #21
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

hmm ill try removing the refresh rate overrides..... tho it happens at 1024x768 as well and im not forcing anythin there.... grrr.... ill keep tweaking and testing

EDIT: actually im also gona go try the new 71.20s beta

Last edited by Eliminator; 12-23-04 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 08:52 AM   #22
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

hey cool the new 71.20s work properly..... i gota do some more testing.... i think i got my old clocks back now.... heres some comaparisons

66.93 test 2 3dmark05 athlonxp..... 15.0 fps @ 430/886
66.93 test 2 3dmark05 a64 ........... 14.3 fps @ 415/870
71.20 test 2 3dmark05 a64............ 15.7 fps @ 430/886

i gota try some farcry.... if the stuttering is fixed im gona go kiss the floor

EDIT: nope they dont properly work either.... managed to work in 3dmark05 for a while until for some reason it closed at the end..... and as for farcry it still stutters even with lower clocks

Last edited by Eliminator; 12-23-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 12:13 PM   #23
jolle

before I switched from NV SW IDE drivers, to the MS standard ones, I couldnt complete 3dMark05.
Screen just went totally black after the first test.

I think it was due to the IDE driver switch, but I was doing alot of meddling at the time, so it can have been the move to Reforce aswell, or something else.
If your not already on the MS drivers, try that and se if it works.

Did you ever try the "blit" settings in RivaTuner? you never answered that I think.
And FC is patched to 1.3 right?
Old 12-23-04, 12:51 PM   #24
Chippo

Would the person who *Banned* me - presumably for saying "Arse" - please like to step forward, so I know who to complain to?

Thank you.

Chippy

EDIT: And on the subject matter of this thread specifically....

I didn't bother to Argue with Saturnotaku, since he was rude enough to call me dumb. A more succinct response was appropriate for him I think.

But to the others of you who argued more constructively:

I accept that some people have different points of view. Overclocking is a complete sin and no-no to some, a mild risk to others and a necessity to a hardcore few. Yes, there are risks. But it up to each person what risks they want to take. And the risk also depends on the equipment involved, the voltages, temperatures etc.

To say ALL overclocking is bad is not a view I subscribe to. Look at the countless people enjoying excellent overclocks with the Athlon XP mobiles, or with the new Athlon 64 Winchester chips. 25% or 30% or more overclocks are commonplace.

To those of you who said perhaps I have damaged my videocard by overclocking: I *know* that is incorrect. (Well so far at least!). I can put it into my Athlon XP rig right now and run it at 440MHz, no problem at all.

Yet I put it into my Athlon 64 system and it won't do more than 410MHz.

This isn't a complaint. I even said so in my penultimate post above, if anyone actually read it.

But it *is* evidence that something in the GF6800 & Athlon64 combination is not working quite as well as it might. Its not really a big deal for me, but I like to know that my computers are working perfectly and if there's some hidden bug somewhere, it intrigues me as to what it might be.

Others are less lucky. Some can't even get their GF6800's to run at stock and still suffer from the same "problem" as me; i.e. the "stuttering" problem.

Does that mean my "problem" is less valid than theirs? No. Its the same problem and both I - and those who experience it without overclocking - would like to see it fixed.

What is so wrong with that?

And *banning* me for saying "Arse"? Now come on! No warning, no PM, no slap on the wrist. Nothing, just a ban? After 300+ posts from me without incident? Really guys that is too much.

Last edited by Chippo; 12-24-04 at 03:07 PM.
Chippo is offline   Reply With Quote