Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-04, 10:28 PM   #1
dUMBEST

Default Help installing drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Hello,

Ok, I am a total “noob” when it comes to Linux. I originally learned PC’s on a MS-DOS based system, so I am more than comfortable working in the command line.

I installed Mandrake 10.1 on a partition, as I have long wanted to play with Linux.
Installed, updated everything (with the built in mandrake updater). I am now writing on this forum post after only having Linux installed for about 4 hours! Now, I go to install the drivers.

First, I had to find out what “X server” was and how to close it, let me tell you this was hard, but I did…all on my own! “init 3” and “init 5” are the bomb.

I go to run the NVIDIA driver installer (1.0-6629). It try’s to find some kernel of something on NVIDIA’s FTP server , but it can not find and appropriate one. So it says it will have to compile it. At first it said it could not find the kernel sources, so I went back into the mandrake installer and found the kernel sources and installed them.

Now, when trying to install the drivers I get two errors. The first one says
Kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable module” and that I could install the drivers with it loaded but they would not function properly until I unloaded it.

So first problem, what is this (I am guessing it has something to do with the generic drivers?), and how do I unload it?

But I skip that, because it said it can install. I do, it then try’s to compile some kernel, and I get a progress bar that goes all the way to 100%.

Then I go to another error screen

Unable to load kernel module ‘nvidia.o’. This is most likely because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files for your kernel” And then something if you are sure the source files are correct use the --kernel-source-path command.

And then after some text about RedHat and SuSe (?) it says something about I might need to use some “linker”, usually located in usr/bin/ld

As you can tell, I am a total noob when it comes to Linux. I just want to get some good, recent proper drivers installed, get a few games installed (Wolf:ET is my favorite game, and its linux baby!). Already installed a few apps without too many problems, nothing is “neat” yet…but ahh well. Gotta learn some way.

Any help in getting these drivers installed would be much appreciated!

Incase it is important, FX5900 (128MB), ECS MB running Intel 865PE chipset and again Mandrake 10.1 (Just a 3 CD basic download install) with supposedly everything updated with built in updater.

Thanks!
dUMBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 06:49 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Help installing drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Please attach the nvidia-installer log file, /var/log/nvidia-installer.log.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 02:20 PM   #3
seilat

i have experienced the exact same problem, and attached the log file.

Shai.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-log.txt (5.1 KB, 138 views)
seilat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 02:26 PM   #4
dUMBEST

I figured out my install problem, it was using the wrong kernel, I have fixed that. It installs successfully!
However, X serv fail to load. It is not the same error in the readme about Xserv not starting.

Here is the error:
EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Full log included.

Wehn I revert back to the "nv" module, it starts working again.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt xbak.txt (15.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 12-23-04, 02:47 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

See if it helps to manually load the module with `modprobe nvidia`; if it does, something like `echo "nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.preload` should help get the module loaded automatically after reboots.
Old 12-23-04, 03:00 PM   #6
dUMBEST

See if it helps to manually load the module with `modprobe nvidia`; if it does, something like `echo "nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.preload` should help get the module loaded automatically after reboo

That did not work. It says nothing, and another "bash prompt" just comes up. After restarting I still get the same error.
Old 12-23-04, 04:51 PM   #7
bruno

Why don't you use the 6111 driver that comes along with Mandrake 10.1? It is automatically installed when you install the system or when you change card (provide you have the DVD).
That should be enough to begin with linux.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 05:39 PM   #8
dUMBEST

Why don't you use the 6111 driver that comes along with Mandrake 10.1? It is automatically installed when you install the system or when you change card (provide you have the DVD).
That should be enough to begin with linux.

Because as I mentioned earlier, I used the 3 cd download install.
And unfortunately, it does not come with them. They even have a nice big picture and talk about it in the installer.

Old 12-23-04, 05:46 PM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dUMBEST: which of the two commands I suggested did you try before you rebooted? The first won't affect post-reboot behavior in any way.
Old 12-23-04, 06:06 PM   #10
dUMBEST

@dUMBEST: which of the two commands I suggested did you try before you rebooted? The first won't affect post-reboot behavior in any way.
Ohh, I see what you where saying now.

I was doing “modprobe nvidia” and then rebooting.
When I do “modprove nividia”, then start Xserv up manually and I can sorta get into KDE. It appears to be in the correct screen resolution, loads the icons and all fine, but the text is HUGE. No more than 2 lines and 5 characters across can fit in the screen (at 1280x1024).

Loading Wolf:ET (OpenGL) manually it runs now, pretty damn good! So the drivers seem to be working right, now I just got to figure out what is up with X/KDE.

Any ideas?
Old 12-23-04, 06:18 PM   #11
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dUMBEST: does the font problem go away if you specify the IgnoreEDID option (see the README for details)?
Old 12-23-04, 06:42 PM   #12
dUMBEST

That worked! Thank you zander! It now loads up X and KDE just great, automatically!
Wolf:ET (the first OpenGL app I have installed) runs great, better in fact than it did in Windows!).

Thank you so much, you are the man (or woman, if it makes you happy) and don't let anyone tell you different!

Now all I gotta do is get my sound to work in games like Wolf:ET, but that is a whole different thing. Though, I feel pretty good with how far I have gotten and when I have learned about Linux for only about 6-8 hours of total use time.