Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-04, 09:00 PM   #13
bodomite

Default Re: 5700LE, Looking for more info!

I think newegg is down...
bodomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 09:46 PM   #14
bodomite

Before i get this card i also wanted to know how good this card will be for how long. Will i be wanting to get rid of this card within a few months and buy a new mobo?
Old 12-29-04, 10:55 PM   #15
ekloot1978

Bodomite,
As far as I know the low profile 5700le from Jaton has the same performance as all the other 5700le pci cards. The core and memory clock speeds are all the same...and it is based around the same nvidia chip. I think the board shape and design is just slightly different Also, I read a lot of good things about that bloody monster pci 5700le on the dell forums (there are a lot of dell people stuck without agp slots...including that friend of mine). The only reason I told my friend to go with the jaton one is because it specifically says it has the 128bit memory bus where the bloody monster one does not say this in its description. However, I do believe the bloody monster one probably does have a 128bit memory bus because everyone who has it seems to say it has great performance...and the agp versions of the same card from bloody monster also for sure have a 128bit memory bus...so I would assume the pci version is basically the same...just pci. So I think that you should be able to go with the jaton one or the bloody monster one.

And with respect to your question about how good this card is and if you will want to get rid of it in the near future...well I guess that all depends on what games you are playing and what settings you expect to play those games at. It would also depend on how powerful the rest of the computer is. The 5700LE should be able to play any game out there now even doom...the only thing is that you might have to keep the resolution at 800X600 and bump down the graphics settings some on certain games that are graphic card hungry. So depending on your system and the games you are playing...this might be a good card for you. For example...my brother just has a Pentium 4 1.8GHZ computer with 512MB of memory so it didn't matter if he got a faster graphics card...the rest of the computer would limit him. And he is playing mostly battlefield 1942 and battlefield vietnam which seem to be much more cpu bound...so he got a 5700LE AGP card because it was cheap and all he really needed. If you could provide us with the rest of your system specs and what games you are playing or hope to play then maybe myself or some others here could provide you with some more information on whether this card would be a good purchase for you. Obviously if money were no factor then the best option would of course to buy a decent agp or pci-express motherboard and at least a good midrange video card...but money usually is a big factor for all of us of course.
ekloot1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 12:22 AM   #16
bodomite

Yeah, the money is set to the under 100 level.
My specs are as follows:
2.8GHZ Intel CeleronD
512 MB RAM
Windows XP
80 gigs
I have the Emachines t2958.

As far as the games im going to be playing...
Warcraft 3 TFT
Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike Source
Half life 2
Guild Wars
Halo
Doom 3 ( maybe )
and other HL mods like DoD and TF
I run all HL based mods and HL2 in a window at 800x600, but i would like to use full screen 1024x768

Last edited by bodomite; 12-30-04 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-30-04, 01:42 AM   #17
bodomite

How much would a decent MOBO be and would it be hard for me to switch all my gear onto that mobo. Im not to keen on building computers. I pretty can deal with anything BUT the mobo.
Old 12-30-04, 02:09 AM   #18
adpr 02

Lightbulb Re: 5700LE, Looking for more info!

my friend is selling his 5700le AGP for 140$ canadian. It is new, he didn't even get to put it in his case because the PSU stopped working before it got delivered. we put it in my pc, and it works. if you are interested in it, mail me at adpr_02@hotmail.com.

I didn't read the whole topic, just that you want one. btw. this is NVIDIA manufactured I think. it overclocks A LOT.
Motherboard: Asus P5k-E Wifi
Sound Card: Audigy X-Fi
Case: Antec Sonata II
PSU: Antec Truepower Quatro 1000
Optical Drive: LiteOn DVD+-RW Dual Layer.
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB SATA2
Maxtor 500GB

Monitor: Viewsonic vx2025wm
Mouse: Logitech G7

3dmark06 score: 15034
adpr 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 03:18 AM   #19
bodomite

Well, i just downloaded my self some benchmarks to see the before and after parts of this card. On 3dmark01 i got a 1403 and on the 3dmark03 i got 75!
Old 12-30-04, 02:03 PM   #20
ekloot1978

Bodomite,
Those 3dmark benchmarks are some pretty horrible results...were those run with an integrated motherboard video card?...if so, that would explain the low benchmark scores. Also, at first when I saw that you had a celeron I was kind of worried because in the past celerons were pretty weak...but fortunately you have a celeron D which I found out are half way decent...check the following article to see how your celeron D 2.8ghz chip stacks up against other processors: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2093
From the benchmarks it looks to fall somewhere around the performance of an AMD athlon 2500XP processor which is decent if you don't have a ton of cash lying around to upgrade. So for this system I would think a 5700LE would be a decent match. I don't know if all those games you listed will be able to be played at 1024X768 though...a few of them you might have to play at 800X600 full screen still but I could be wrong and you still might be able to get away with 1024X768.

However if you can get the extra money then of course a new motherboard with a agp or pci-express slot would be better. The only problem is that I don't know what power supply you have and if it will be enough to stabily support a newer powerful system with a good video card...so you might have to get a new powersupply depending on what you have. Also, you'd of course be buying a new motherboard so there is a fair amount of cost there as well. And depending on the case design on that emachines...a new motherboard may go in easily or hard...or you might have to get a new case...not sure about this one. Plus, if you want to keep the same processor then you have to make sure you get a motherboard that supports that processor for sure. And then after all that you hastill have to fork out the cash for a better video card and you'll probably want to spend at least $150 to $200 on that to get at least something middle of the road. So things can start to get complicated and costly, but it all depends on various factors of course. The best thing would be to have someone who builds computer at least look at your situation and help you out and maybe they could give you some more exact advice. Hopefully I'm not bombarding you with too much info here...but when cash is tight I figure its better to have too much information when making a tough decision.

Old 12-30-04, 03:47 PM   #21
bodomite

Yeah, thank you so much loot. I agree about the too much info. I dont have the cash right now to upgrade the mobo and everything else, but in the future i will be looking to upgrading it.
The bench marks are on the integrated card. Yeah, the celeron D isnt too bad. It'll do for now.
I'm ordering the 5700LE. THank you all for your support.
Old 12-30-04, 03:53 PM   #22
bodomite

Umm, P.S. I dont know if this makes a difference but i have the Intel 330, is this what you thought, because on the site this processor scored pretty high.
Old 12-30-04, 04:24 PM   #23
ekloot1978

Oh, I thought you had the intel 335 which is the 2.8GHZ chip...the intel 330 is the 2.66GHZ chip...it doesn't really matter which one though...they both almost score identical to each other because they are almost the same clock speed as each other and they are both celeron D's...either way it looks like these new celerons aren't too bad at all...especially compared to the old celerons.

And your 3dmark benchmarks should go up a ton after you upgrade to the 5700LE...I mean the 5700LE is no powerhouse in comparison to the new higher end nvidia or ati cards but it should be able to play any game out there and it is a ton better than any integrated graphics card. I'm glad I can be of help though.
Old 12-30-04, 04:45 PM   #24
ekloot1978

Oh, and one more thing...be sure to check your bios to make sure there is an option to disable the integrated video card (or sometimes there is an option that doesn't really disable it but but does makes the computer look for pci video cards first). Sometimes if the bios doesn't have these options then a bios update will add it. And sometimes after disabling the integrated card in the bios it will still show up in the device manager in windows and will have to be disabled there too in order to get the new pci card to work. That's how my friend's dell was and it took a lot of tinkering and reading through dell forums to figure this out so maybe this will spare you some trouble.