Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-04, 12:27 AM   #1
Xine

Default Installation problems with a GeForce 5200 256 mb AGP.

Oh man, I sure as hell hope there is someone out there that can help me. I'll try to be as direct as possible and list as much information regarding my system. Alright, I bought the card a few days ago and proceeded with the installation as outlined by the instruction manual. I'm not completely illiterate with computer hardware, so I had a good feeling it would work out. There wasn't any projected problem I could think of that may hinder the installation. It would turn out that the problem I currently have is listed in the troubleshooting section of the aforementioned manual. A series of system beeps occur, and the monitor refuses to boot and remains black. According to the manual this is because the card cannot initialize, and there may be a problem with the AGP slot or the card itself. The option they left me with was to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard or the card's. Tried, but to no avail their remedies were unsatisfactory.

I'll try to give you as much information about my system as possible, and a few theories I have regarding the problem. There's quite a bit I know about hardware jargon, and then there's also quite a bit I do not know, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm thinking it may be something with the system BIOS, or perhaps even that integrated video memory is still activated, which needs to be deactived in the BIOS. I'm not exactly sure how to find that out either. Anyway, on with the system specs:

Hard-drive: 160 GB
RAM: 512
Processor: AMD Athlon 2.8 ghz (Central Processor)
Motherboard: KT3 Ultra2 (VIA KT333 Chipset)
BIOS version: 07.00T
BIOS build date: 04/02/01
BIOS size: 256kb
AGP Data transfer rate: 4x

Current Video Card: Nvidia Vanta/Vanta LT 8 mb
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
BIOS Information: Version 2.05.13.04.00

Note: You're probably wondering why the hell I'm using such a craptastic card, right? Well here's the story for you. A while back when I bought this machine it came with a GeForce MX 400, but for whatever reason I had trouble with it, so I had to download new drivers for it. Got the Nvidia drivers, and for whatever reason the system identifies it as that 8 mb piece of crap instead of the 64 mb card it actually was. Anyone know what the hell happened? Something tells me that may have something to do with my current problem, or maybe not. It's interesting too because on the physical card itself, it says " 64 mb memory ", so I know I'm not making a mistake. I'm also aware that my AGP 2.0 compliant slot says it's 4x, and the card I bought is 8x, but according to Nvidia this FX card is compatible with a 4x AGP slot. Heh, that's really all I can think of at the moment to throw at you, but if there's anything, anything you'd like to know please let me know and I'd gladly share it. Please help me! I bought this card for over $100 and I want to play Half-Life 2! I'm aggrivated after playing it on my Friends machine which has a Radeon 9200 in it.
Xine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 01:23 AM   #2
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Default Re: Installation problems with a GeForce 5200 256 mb AGP.

Have you tried re-seating the card ?

Take it out and put it back in again. 9 times out of 10 you wont get much because the cards need a good shove in the AGP slot.

If it still refuses to boot, do you have a friend who could try the card in there rig for you. You could exchange cards to test his card in yours and your card in his.

Im sure others have some suggestions as well...
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 01:26 AM   #3
Xine

Default Re: Installation problems with a GeForce 5200 256 mb AGP.

Good call, but I tried that route yesterday during my bout of frustration when it refused to work. I know how complicated properly seating cards of all kinds can be so I did it an innumerable amount of times but I'll try it again anyway. You never know. I plan on trying the card in another machine tomorrow to find out if it's the card or my machine setup. That's a must.
Xine is offline   Reply With Quote