Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-04, 05:10 PM   #1
logan

Default GeForce 6600, 1.0-6629, and XV_BRIGHTNESS

For the longest time I've been using xvattr (-a XV_BRIGHTNESS -v 16) to adjust brightness for the xv driver when watching movies (ogle, mplayer). I recently picked up an XFX 6600GT AGP card and just noticed that I no longer have an XV_BRIGHTNESS option, or hardly any for that matter.

Quote:
-(~) cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce 6600 GT
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: 05.43.02.36.00
Card Type: AGP

-(~) cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6629 Wed Nov 3 13:12:51 PST 2004
GCC version: gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-5)

-(~) xvattr -a XV_BRIGHTNESS
Found Xv 2.2
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 141 (XVideo)
Minor opcode of failed request: 14 ()
Serial number of failed request: 11
Current serial number in output stream: 11

-(~) xvattr | egrep '^(Adaptor|Name): '
Adaptor: 0
Name: NV17 Video Texture
Adaptor: 1
Name: NV05 Video Blitter
I'm not really sure about the adaptor output from xvattr, but the only two values I'm getting back (a number of times) is XV_SET_DEFAULTS and XV_SYNC_TO_VBLANK. I tried reverting to 'nv', but that driver doesn't support the 6600 (xfree86 4.3.0).

For the time being, it looks like I'll be able to adjust this with mplayer -vop eq=16, but it'd be nice to get xvattr working again for apps that don't have any adjustment.

My guess is the nvidia_drv.o probably just requires some update so XvQueryAdaptors() can get all of the available adaptors and attributes with XvQueryPortAttributes().

Anyone know about this? Similar issues with the 6800? How about any suggestions for alternatives that may still allow me to do xv brightness adjustment?
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 05:57 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: GeForce 6600, 1.0-6629, and XV_BRIGHTNESS

Bright up the whole screen,

xgamma -gamma 2.0
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 06:21 PM   #3
chunkey
#!/?*

you can also check out nvidia's setup thing "nvidia-settings", which also shows your temperatur of your gf-card*.

*only If your card have an sensor...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 07:52 PM   #4
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
Bright up the whole screen,

xgamma -gamma 2.0
Yeah, but that's kindof a bummer.

I'll manage for now, hopefully this will be better in the next driver release.
Old 12-30-04, 08:03 PM   #5
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
you can also check out nvidia's setup thing "nvidia-settings", which also shows your temperatur of your gf-card*.
I noticed that earlier...

I'm seeing ~50c idle and 61c after a few doom3 timedemos, which is probably not long enough to reach an average high for an actual game of any duration. Guess I've never really looked at temps for graphics cards, that seems high, but it's close to the XFX temps on anandtech, so I guess that's ok. :P
Old 01-23-05, 10:45 PM   #6
flah

I also have this problem with my new 6600 GT and I am hoping it is a linux driver problem and that I will be able to pull the card out in a few months and actually use it.
Setting the brightness of the whole screen way up is not really acceptable just to be able to watch video that is not so dark you cant anthing at all. Most users of nvidia cards will know that for some reason videos are really dark and practically invisible without upping the brightness. I have tried also upping the gamma of the whole screen but I start feeling like I am being blinded and my eyes get tired really quickly that way.

If there is any official nvidia people reading this could you please let us poor 6600 users know if this is a driver problem (ie there is some hope for us), or if I should just bin this card now. I think it is ridiculous that I just spent 3 times what the cost of my MX440 on this card ( at the time I bought it) just to find out it doesn't have the same capabilities which have been present in geforce cards since at least GF3.

I also have a TNT2, a GeForce 3, MX440, and Ti4200 (though I have been using the MX440 because I can get it's TV-out to work) and everything except the TNT2 has overlay colour controls. I wouldn't be surprised if the original GeForce and GeForce 2 had these controls - which would mean that the 6600 is a step back to TNT2 technology.

As an nvidia customer who has bought over 5 nvidia graphics cards, I am feeling a bit ripped off at the moment. Having antialiasing and a higher frame rate for the 3 hours that I play quake per week does not make up for a video card that is useless for the 20 or so hours per week that I am watching tv or watching/working with video of some kind. It is OK for the other 20 hours when I am just using plain 2D non-video apps, but then, so is my TNT2.

I have found a thread where some windows users have had the problem that with some drivers their overlay controls don't work. I am going to post and ask them if any of them have a 6600 with controls that do work.
that thread is http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ght=brightness
flah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 11:04 PM   #7
flah

I just thought I would add that I do not have TV-out enabled in my current config so I do not believe that the xv controls are missing due to tv-out or xinerama or anything like that. I have used those things with my other nvidia video cards and so I know that they cause the brightness etc controls to go away, as documented in nvidia's README, but I am not doing anything like that here. My current X config sets up a simple single screen using nvdia's driver, no xinerama, no tv-out, and works with all my other geforce cards.

Neither xvinfo or gxvattr show any other XV attributes than
XV_SET_DEFAULTS, XV_SYNC_TO_VBLANK, and XV_ITURBT_709.

nvidia-settings does have properties that affect the whole screen
but has only Sync To VBlank under X Server XVideo Settings.
Old 01-27-05, 03:55 AM   #8
flah

Well, I have tried my 6600 GT in a windows box, and tested a 6600 (non-GT) one at work also in a windows box, and I can say conclusively that neither of them have brightness or gamma controls for the overlay. The widget for adjusting brightness is enabled, and you can drag it, but it has NO effect. The gamma one is disabled. If you pick 'advanced' mode you are able to edit the line in the little chart but it has NO effect on the overlay, no matter what you do. Similarly, the brightness and contrast change the line in the chart but only the contrast works.

I am aware that it is not that unusual for there to be no gamma control on the overlay but the lack of a brightness control is ridiculous.

All this is using the latest drivers for windows.

My 6600 is an AGP version, the ones I tried at work are PCI Express versions.

I have heard that supposedly it is quite rare for one of these 6600 to actually have an OK bios. So the next thing I will try is updating the bios.

Old 06-09-05, 08:28 AM   #9
novidea

It would be nice if someone could comment on this issue...

The lack of gamma control on overlay is not unusual. But lack of brightness control is OBSCENE. This card is USELESS for watching videos without it.

Please, Nvidia, explain what is going on here. Is this normal for these 6600 GT GPUs, or do people with this problem have defective cards?

Last edited by novidea; 06-09-05 at 08:31 AM. Reason: corrected typo
novidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:57 AM   #10
novidea

Ok yeh well, I put the 6600 GT back into my computer and tried the latest windows nvidia drivers (71.89). NOW things are starting to work.

If you adjust the gamma control for "All", ie desktop and overlay, it DOES work. Brightness and contrast also work now. BUT, this affects the entire desktop too, not just the video window !
Without separate control for the overlay, there is no way to adjust brightness of a video you are watching in a small window, without also ruining the desktop by making it too bright.
If you watch video fullscreen, then its fine, although it is still a hassle to have to turn the brightness down again when the video is finished.

Or if i am in linux I can use mplayer to adjust the brightness of the video window in software, without affecting my desktop.
I am using the latest nvidia linux drivers (7664)

FYI if i remember correctly, the GPU on my card identifies itself as NV43.

The point is though, older nvidia cards had separate brightness controls for the video overlay, right back to the GF4 MX440 or earlier.

I repeat, Please, can Nvidia, or somoene, explain what is going on here. Is this normal for these 6600 GT GPUs, or do people with this problem have defective cards?

help?!?1
novidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 12:57 AM   #11
Sean84

7 months and still no xv overlay controls?
this card is going back
Sean84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 03:07 AM   #12
Thunderbird

If you would have checked the forums: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54336

It seems that Nvidia removed parts of video overlay support in various Geforce6 and newer cards. More and more features are moved to the 3d engine of the GPU I think. (XvMC can be routed through it for example) Why don't you try for example an opengl backend for xine/mplayer, thought there were some (new) gl extensions that could be used for video playback in a fast way too now.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote