Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-04, 09:30 PM   #1
ChrisRay

Default Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

This is getting really, really tiresome. Surely Blizzard can do better than this. They may have created a wonderful, and balanced, and generally bug free MMORPG, But their servers are a joke. Sadly I play on a server where load is medium. Not even high, So I cant even imagine what it's like for people with High Load.

Problems,

#1, Auction House, Sometimes it takes 5 to 10 minutes to recycle/refresh bids/auctions in the Auction House. You can sit there waiting for 5-10 minutes just do something as trivial as browsing items.

#2. Selling/Buying. Sometimes it will take at least 1 to 2 minutes just to sell an item I have right clicked to a merchent. Something that I should go through in roughly 20 seconds, Takes over 3-5 minutes. And for what purpose? The client is waiting for the damn server to update.

#3. Looting, This is not as much of a problem. But rarely looting a corpse will lag out for over 30 seconds. Which is absolutely obsurd.

#4. And most important. Blizzards Login server. It's a complete joke. Whoever put it together should be fired. Theres absolutely no reason for your login server to constantly load and not allow people to login for hours at a time. This is a common occurance. Half the time. I'm afraid to log out of the game because I fear I cant get back in for several hours.

The grass is always greener people. SoE may have a bug ridden piece of software with stuttering and massive memory leak that drags high end system to their knees. But hey. Their servers work.

On a related note, I am getting really fed up with the way companies like Blizzard/Sony are handling these issues. And they are really starting to dismay me. These companies claim they care about customer satisfaction. But how can they given these obsurd problems within both games? Playing a game shouldnt be a headache. And half the time. It's becoming one in both bloody games.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 05:02 AM   #2
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

I play on a medium population server and dont have a single problem. Not one.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 05:16 AM   #3
ChrisRay

Right. I'm sure these problems are just made up in the Blizzard forums too.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 01-01-05, 07:38 AM   #4
K007

You should see the Guild Wars server, its 1 server to house everyone and its lag free. Battle.net 2.0 , thats why guild wars server is better since pretty much most of the key people over at blizzard left.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 07:44 AM   #5
ChrisRay

These are just from the first 3 pages of the tech support forum from last night.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post82986

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post78343

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post82814

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post82638

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post82623

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 01-01-05, 07:46 AM   #6
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

I played the beta and realized this is not a game i wanna pay each month, very sad this kind of problems exists.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 07:46 AM   #7
K007

This is why i didnt buy the game, there is no point paying for a service like this, and thats why i went with Guild Wars. Better staff, they listen to you, server is very stable, everyone is on 1 server, its streamed to your PC, no annoying patches like wow, great graphics, and alot of fun and its free of the monthly fee scams.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 10:13 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007
You should see the Guild Wars server, its 1 server to house everyone and its lag free. Battle.net 2.0 , thats why guild wars server is better since pretty much most of the key people over at blizzard left.
Um no, Guild Wars uses Multiple servers. It just doesn't let you decide which one your on. Everytime you instance your moving to another server, In town you know when they list 50+ town instances, probably 5-10 of them are one actually a single server. No single server would be able to house thousand of players.

EQ2 uses about 2 Servers per ZONE and has an entierly seperate server just for logon (actually 5+ of them).

I wouldn't play WoW just on the aspect that they are so cheap on hardware for thier servers that they cant even provide thier own bandwidth and direct download. I mean WTF, they are using Bit Torrent to distribute thier patches... This is the first MMORPG that I have ever played (I beta'd) that did not direct download/install patches straight from a patch server.

Just stupid on blizzards part...

EDIT: STOP comparing GW to ANY MMORPG. It is NOT a MMORPG! Its nothing more then a Diablo 2 Clone... Just because it has no actual chat room or allows 16 players in a single combat area does not mean its a MMORPG or remotly like one...

Old 01-01-05, 10:14 AM   #9
Sgt_Pitt

of course it is the holiday season so mosts devs would probably be on holidays. But come back to EQ2 chris we'll have you back
Old 01-01-05, 10:36 AM   #10
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

I play on a high load server, and I get the AH lag pretty frequently, but it's never 5-10 minutes. Over exaggeration, I think? At most it's a minute, and if it gets anywhere near that I just wander off anyway.

I have the inability to log in sometimes, but not at all frequently. And generally it only happens for 30 mins at most. Yeah, it's been longer once or twice, but oh well

Blizzard's customer support has been really good, at least to me. They were doing daily maintenance for a while, and it happened to go down at 10:30pm in my prime time (South Australia), and it affected all Australians badly. So people complained and they moved it back 3 hours to 1:30am. Very reasonable, and a very good move. There's always news updated in-game (in the login screen) when there's known problems with the servers, such as inability to log in. Etc etc... They are having problems, but they are resolving them and letting people know that it's being looked into. What else is worthwhile to know?
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 01:24 PM   #11
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Right. I'm sure these problems are just made up in the Blizzard forums too.
Well, I'm sure as heck not making this up. Not everyone has problems. I'm just lucky I suppose.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 04:11 PM   #12
Arioch

I have played many MMORPG games and I agree that Blizzard's login server and download method sucks. Blizzard has way too much invested into this game and I am sure there are some higher ups pushing to have these problems fixed. I expect sometime after the holidays when the majority of the team is back that these will issues will get resolved soon.

This game has a lot of potential IMHO and I feel confident most of the big technical issues will get worked out.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote