Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-05, 05:24 AM   #25
Elderblaze

Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

oh yeah magus, im gonna let it fully saturate my upload bandwidth to 50 KB a sec that way there's nothing left for regular download comunication and my Download slows to 10kb a sec makes alot of sense bud. (Yes this can, and does happen with bit-torrent technology, it will FULLY SATURATE upload bandwidth and leave absolutely nothing for overhead communication needed to download things)

if im feeling generous i'll up the transfer rate to 40kb and let it sit for 10 minutes when it's done transfering. (It still uploads)

From a business standpoint their method of patching is very smart, bandwidth is not free you know. I know you've had issues with EQ2 and stuttering you said so when you first got the game, you said you resoloved them as well. Which i find highly unlikely as I honestly don't beleive EQ2 can run properly on 6800 Hardware. IF you really want to prove it to me post a vidcap of you runing thru freeport.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:29 AM   #26
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
So let me get this straight. Blizzard is charging a monthly fee for their network service and they haven't managed to improve the thing?
Well, it honestly isn't in that bad a state. These problems, while annoying, do not happen frequently enough to seriously affect gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Some poeple might be to stupid to open the right ports or use upload limiters though.
Using upload limiting in turn limits your download rate. Not to mention it defeats the entire purpose of Bittorrent.
Quote:
oh yeah magus, im gonna let it fully saturate my upload bandwidth to 50 KB a sec that way there's nothing left for regular download comunication and my Download slows to 10kb a sec makes alot of sense bud. (Yes this can, and does happen with bit-torrent technology, it will FULLY SATURATE upload bandwidth and leave absolutely nothing for overhead communication needed to download things)

if im feeling generous i'll up the transfer rate to 40kb and let it sit for 10 minutes when it's done transfering. (It still uploads)
Well isn't that kind of you. 10 whole minutes huh? As egbtmagus said, that's why Bittorrent is no good. Also consider the fact that some of us cannot recieve a lot of incoming connections due to location/network conditions even with a broadband connection. I very rarely get higher than 20-40kbps on my torrents, unless they're well seeded. It doesn't help when greedy leechers saturate the network and slow upload rates.
Quote:
From a business standpoint their method of patching is very smart, bandwidth is not free you know.
It's true, bandwidth isn't free. You think they could afford to add a patch server, however, with the millions of dollars they started recieving as of the end of December instead of cutting corners and making the patch process take over twice as long.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 10:11 AM   #27
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

A weekend of GW beta was enough for me. boring..

EQ2 with it performance issues, a bit to grinding, constant zoning and kinda dull world just kind of got to me. So shelfed that title.

Back to wow. Loving it with my 27 Orc Shammy on PVP server even though the Horde to Alliance(AKA. scum bags) ratio is like 6-alliance to 1-Horde. There cna be a bit of walking time to time but there's enough quests to allow you to drop the ones you find frusterating or unintresting.

I really haven't had an issue on my server with lag. Just a bit of AH lag but nothing over a 30-60 second lag when nearing or entering the bulding. Once in awhile while browsing AH items it lags up a bit, nothing over a minute lag though. I'm on a low server though, maybe that has something to do with it, not sure.. My only problem with this game is the large amount of immature ubber l33t kids but you learn to tune out the garbage.
Old 01-04-05, 10:13 AM   #28
|MaguS|

Quote:

From a business standpoint their method of patching is very smart, bandwidth is not free you know. I know you've had issues with EQ2 and stuttering you said so when you first got the game, you said you resoloved them as well. Which i find highly unlikely as I honestly don't beleive EQ2 can run properly on 6800 Hardware. IF you really want to prove it to me post a vidcap of you runing thru freeport.

Regards,
Mike

First capturing a video would not show the performance I get since I would loose ALOT of it during the capture. Second, I never stated I had any stuttering because I never did. The only issue I have had with EQ2 was random crashing and my shadow option turning off, both I believe are to be caused by nvidia drivers since when I was on a Radeon 9800pro neither problem arose.

Thier method of patching is cheap and shows how little they are willing to invest in the game. Sony pays for thier bandwidth to make sure everyone gets the patches and downloads at a quick and realiable pace. Never have I gotten a curropt file while downloading a patch from SOE (Counting my 4 years of EQ, acouple months of SWG and PS).

I know I don't run EQ2 at 60FPS and I don't except it to ever but I run it at a playable rate at above High Settings. Im more then Happy with my Performance in the game. Just wish my Financial status in the game was better...
Old 01-04-05, 10:50 AM   #29
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

Come on over to EQ2 then :P
EQ2's a lot better IMO, fighting is a lot faster paced, reminds me of Champs of Norrath almost. But yea, I do agree that WoW's servers lag, my friend plays WoW and he says when he tries to PK someone they usually lag out in the middle of battle almost a third of the time. Wonder why their servers are so laggy? Bad computers? Maybe they should get the suppliers of SoE to hook em up.
Back to EQ2 though, the game gets better when you are 30+, much more to do and see, better loots and bigger encounters not to mention all the heritage quests you get at 40.

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 01:49 PM   #30
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
my friend plays WoW and he says when he tries to PK someone they usually lag out in the middle of battle almost a third of the time.
He's either lying/exaggerating or it's his connection. This has never happened to me, and I PvP a lot. The lag only affects looting or the AH, it has never affected player or monster interactions for me. To the best of my knowledge, no one else has had this problem either.
Quote:
fighting is a lot faster paced
Now that's funny, in my experience the fighting is faster paced in WoW. I guess it helps that I played both games.
Quote:
Back to EQ2 though, the game gets better when you are 30+, much more to do and see, better loots and bigger encounters
This is true for any MMORPG, including WoW.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 01-04-05, 04:58 PM   #31
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Actually for WOW, you're not limited to seeing certain areas at a certain level. i saw a lvl 5 Night Elf running through the wetlands last night. Wetlands is a lvl 20-30 zone. I play on the Windrunner PVE server (You can turn on/off PVP) and i get minimal lag, no login issues and next to no downtime (only when servers are being updated). WOW is the only MMORPG i've played that i've ended up buying. All the rest seemed dull and uninspiring to me. I like WOW because of it's cartoony look, it's fast paced battles, huge raids and it's Storyline. Take the time to read through the library in Darnassus, Stormwind, Ironforge and Gnomregan. Also read up on the storyline on the WOW website. The most immersive storyline since LOTR in my opinion.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:58 PM   #32
Elderblaze

Playing both games, niether are perfect. I played EQ1 for 5 years too. It also had it's share of problems, somtimes huge. (Anyone remember how ****ed up the sound was for like a year?) I enjoyed my time in EQ2, it feels and plays different then wow, I actually prefer EQ2's playstyle. However it all comes down to what your willing to accept i suppose. I cannot accept the performance of EQ2, im one of those people who has a very low tolerance to bad performance. I can't handle fps in the teens, stuttering, etc. I can accept the occasional connection problem that wow has though. At times I get equelly frusterated with both games. But at least when I play wow I don't spend more time trying to fix it then I do playing it. I spent days trying to tweak eq2's performance to acceptable levels and was never sucessful. I've had very little problems with WOW's connection but I do play on a light load server, and I don't deny that others have had this problem.

Regards,
mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-05, 08:51 PM   #33
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Agreed. FPS in the teens is intolerable no matter what kind of game it is, IMO. Then again, I loved Goldeneye on the N64 and that dropped to the teens very frequently.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 01-04-05, 09:07 PM   #34
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

even dropped down into the 6-9 zone sometimes during bomb explosions.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 06:07 AM   #35
ChrisRay

Man speaking of the EQ 2 verses WoW debate, I found the worlds most biased comparison between the two. I honestly think owning website shouldnt give people the right to publish their articles. yeesh

http://www.inktank.com/compare.cfm
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 06:33 AM   #36
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah, that was pretty bad. The author clearly had very little experience with EQ2 to make a comparison. Still kinda funny though.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410