Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-05, 06:34 AM   #37
nrdstrm
 
nrdstrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 1,677
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

I'll not berate WOW as I thought it was fun enough when I beta tested it. However, EQ2 just sucked me in. I love it and play it more than I have EVER played an MMORPG before (or any game for that matter). This is a debate that will never be solved. New debates will arise when Vanguard, Middle Earth Online, and D&D Online come out. The one thing I will say, I thought it was kinda funny when someone said "watch the bandwidth pour in at 180k" or something to that effect. I download my patches from Sony at 300-400K. Heh...
Nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 06:39 AM   #38
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 06:53 AM   #39
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys.

Hey, I "Love" World of Warcraft, They took my server down (with several others) this morning, and are doing emergency maitenence to fix the stability issues we've been having. If they can fix the stability issues. My problems with the game will really be down to class balance ((Priests need buffed K thx! ^^)

But other than its a pretty stellar game. This post was really just about my total disdain for WoW's current server status. And IMO is completely unacceptable as is. If they can fix it. I expect my opinion to vastly improve.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 07:51 AM   #40
Sorrow
First Person Ownage
 
Sorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 492
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

LOL you say WoW's fighting is fast paced? It's about as craptastic as EQ1, the fighting animations are uninspiring, immersion is nil compared to EQ2's voiced-over NPCs, and the spells are weak looking. Oh wow, a fireball smaller than my foot come flying out of my hand, sweet! WoW is not fast paced fighting, it just has a bigger boost in xp, the fighting is no faster than EQ1 IMO, at least when you're dungeon crawling in EQ2 it feels a lot more exciting, maybe its because the game actually takes advantage of sweet bump mapping and next gen graphics I can't picture WoW being around for more than a year, most PC games say it's an awesome game, but they all feel the same that it will fizzle out after a year because of lack of content for people at higher levels and the speed at which everyone levels, and the size of the world....

Let's not forget that WoW is targetted to casual gamers, hence the mad xp boost compared to EQ2, yet another reason I don't see this lasting long.

Sorry but WoW isn't a game for the future, nothing is new about it, the only reason its even given this much hype is because of the name slapped onto it. If it were some no name company, same premise, it would get laughed at. Whereas EQ2 doesn't depend solely on it's lable, but rather on the graphics and innovative gameplay in it.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed... redefine success.

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 07:56 AM   #41
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Damnit, this is not a debate about the merits of WoW or EQ2.

Re-read this post and get it into your skull:

Quote:
Well, actually, the thread was about WoW's server troubles, it just degenerated into a debate. It seems that some people just can't stop yelling about how much they hate World of Warcraft and how every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that play it are all Blizzard fanboys.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 07:59 AM   #42
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Hey, I "Love" World of Warcraft, They took my server down (with several others) this morning, and are doing emergency maitenence to fix the stability issues we've been having. If they can fix the stability issues. My problems with the game will really be down to class balance ((Priests need buffed K thx! ^^)

But other than its a pretty stellar game. This post was really just about my total disdain for WoW's current server status. And IMO is completely unacceptable as is. If they can fix it. I expect my opinion to vastly improve.
Yeah, I like it too but I have the same problems as you. I was talking about people who crapped all over the thread with "OMG WOW SERVS SUCk AN EQ@ IZ BETTAR.1!!" I thought the topic was valid and worth discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
Sorry but WoW isn't a game for the future, nothing is new about it, the only reason its even given this much hype is because of the name slapped onto it.
No, people enjoy playing the game because it's fun to play. Everything you said is entirely subjective. Obviously you like Everquest 2 better. Good for you. I like WoW better. Let's leave it at that.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Last edited by Ninjaman09; 01-05-05 at 08:11 AM.
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 08:04 AM   #43
Sorrow
First Person Ownage
 
Sorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 492
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

K, just sayin WoW is par with DAoC and EQ1.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed... redefine success.

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 09:12 AM   #44
vampireuk
**** Holster
 
vampireuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The armoury
Posts: 2,813
Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
K, just sayin WoW is par with DAoC and EQ1.
Your word is not law
__________________
I put children in microwaves.
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-05, 10:25 AM   #45
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 931
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

I can kinda see wow not having a lasting appeal. I think the lack of depth will be the cut in the heal for longevity. I hear all to often 40-50-60 lvl guys complaining about being bored in the game already. Then again, getting at those lvls so quick did they play it, craft, do missions or just grind, I dunno? Personally I'd rather explore, craft, complete quests and savior the game.

We will see. I always have my copy of eq2 which I love, it just needs a major, major patch before I play again.
__________________
Asus G74sx-Republic of Gamer Laptop
3dmark06 16,128(stock)
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 03:49 PM   #46
Elderblaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 246
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Diablo II is not meant to have lasting appeal, it has ancient 2d graphics, hackers, kiddies, and bots all over the place, that game won't sell one copy, the gameplay is crappy and it will cause blizzard to go out of business. Oh Wait, what you say? It sold over 2 million copies? Because people can play it on there PII 500? The gamplay is not as bad as we thought? Magic Finding is highly addictive? But look at those graphics they look like ass! /sigh

Dude you don't know wtf your talking about, WoW has MASS appeal, it already has like 3x more subscribers then EQ2. It's not going anywhere for a long long time. And you don't honestly think Blizzard is going to just sit on it and not release expansions. If you havent noticed wow's world is extremly low poly, and I wouldent be surprized if their world craft technology isent unlike a War3 map generator. They could release expansions in rapid fashion making the world massive.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 03:54 PM   #47
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
I played the beta and realized this is not a game i wanna pay each month, very sad this kind of problems exists.
That's how I felt about City of Heroes....
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 04:05 PM   #48
Elderblaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 246
Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

I forgot to mention what might seem like the obvious, but blizzard is much smaller then soe, and they do have at least 2x the subscriber base. It would cost them alot more in bandwidth to push out patches, with less money to spend on it to boot.

regards
mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.