Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-05, 05:13 PM   #49
Parts

Default Re: Blizzard, Worse login server for a mmorpg I have ever seen.

Quote:
Half the time. I'm afraid to log out of the game because I fear I cant get back in for several hours

Best marketing EVER. People are afraid to leave the game, so they play it all the time, GENIUS!
Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 05:24 PM   #50
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

lol. what people forget to realise is that yes, eq2 does have better graphics and more advanced tech integrated into it. WOW on the other hand is a plug 'n' play engine. This means that they can integrate new tech, add in new zones and parts of the map, remove things that they feel like (christmas in Ironforge anyone? good old Father Winter) Also Blizzard have an extremely good sense of humour which alot of players prefer over the serious life or death mmorpg. And remember, don't blame Blizzard for the servers, this is their first mmorpg. They're still learning. They have done a huge improvement over the final public beta though.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 05:34 PM   #51
K007

"They have done a huge improvement over the final public beta though."

K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 05:36 PM   #52
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

You know it's the truth. They had 15 servers then. They have 50 now.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 08:43 PM   #53
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
I forgot to mention what might seem like the obvious, but blizzard is much smaller then soe, and they do have at least 2x the subscriber base. It would cost them alot more in bandwidth to push out patches, with less money to spend on it to boot.

regards
mike
Um, No.... Blizzard is as large as SOE... not Sony but SOE. If you look at the Parent companies then, ya Sony would own Vivendi Universal in a money throwing contest. Blizzard is probably one of the most popular developers in Korea, They can sell a can of crap as long as it has the Blizzard name on it.

Zone engines are very plug in play (as you put it), Just remodel the zone offline and then throw it on the server, every player will get an instant download of that zone in the next logon, no need to even tell them about it. Makes for great suprises (Still remember SOE's Holloween on EQ a few years back...)
Old 01-05-05, 11:12 PM   #54
Elderblaze

When you make comments about blizzard selling a can of crap to Koreans, you come off sounding incredibly biased, blizzard has never made a bad product. period. Everything they have ever released has been a 1 million seller or better. StarCraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo, Diablo 2. Probably not Warcraft 1, or that viking game though. And obviously WoW has not sold 1 million copies *YET* but they are on the way.

Even if you do not like one blizzard game it's pretty close minded to think they make crap. And I know you dident come out and say directly "They make crap" you stated that koreans would buy anything blizzard makes, regardless it sounds very fanboi like. Im no fanboi i've played games from Soe and Blizzard, but I was enjoying blizzards games before Soe was even thought about. I used to play WarCraft 2 on Kali back in 95, but your probably a bit to young for that.

I digress.. the Bit Torrent patches are a slight annoyance at best, as Blizzard dosent feel the need to come out with a new game patch every week to fix 1000's of bugs like SOE does.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:10 AM   #55
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
When you make comments about blizzard selling a can of crap to Koreans, you come off sounding incredibly biased, blizzard has never made a bad product. period. Everything they have ever released has been a 1 million seller or better. StarCraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo, Diablo 2. Probably not Warcraft 1, or that viking game though. And obviously WoW has not sold 1 million copies *YET* but they are on the way.

Even if you do not like one blizzard game it's pretty close minded to think they make crap. And I know you dident come out and say directly "They make crap" you stated that koreans would buy anything blizzard makes, regardless it sounds very fanboi like. Im no fanboi i've played games from Soe and Blizzard, but I was enjoying blizzards games before Soe was even thought about. I used to play WarCraft 2 on Kali back in 95, but your probably a bit to young for that.
How old do you think I am? Please indulge me... As for Blizzards quality in software, I honestly loved every game they have made except for Warcraft 3 and its expansion... I dispise WC3. I think it is probably one of the worse RTS games on the market. I hate the upkeep system and how slow it plays. I loved the rushing in WC2 and WC3 practically distroyed that.... I won't even get started on the Hero's....

I own every Blizzard title, I am not Bias at all. I just don't think they are as talented as other developers. I mean they take delay a game left and right just for it to release buggy and hacker friendly. They rarely make an Original title and when they do its not as good as thier previous efforts.

Hell, I just want them to finish "Starcraft Ghost", I love the SC universe but Im not putting too much hope on the game being as great as the hype for it is...
Old 01-06-05, 07:42 AM   #56
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
How old do you think I am? Please indulge me... As for Blizzards quality in software, I honestly loved every game they have made except for Warcraft 3 and its expansion... I dispise WC3. I think it is probably one of the worse RTS games on the market. I hate the upkeep system and how slow it plays. I loved the rushing in WC2 and WC3 practically distroyed that.... I won't even get started on the Hero's....

I own every Blizzard title, I am not Bias at all. I just don't think they are as talented as other developers. I mean they take delay a game left and right just for it to release buggy and hacker friendly. They rarely make an Original title and when they do its not as good as thier previous efforts.

Hell, I just want them to finish "Starcraft Ghost", I love the SC universe but Im not putting too much hope on the game being as great as the hype for it is...

heh I completely disagree with your points on warcraft 3. Micro management requirements of Warcraft greatly outweight in macro management you'd have to do with starcraft or warcraft 2., Rushing is still possible, Just not against the computer, Hero rushes are a game of their own, They'll either do damage, Have little impact, Or completely change the game.

Being good at controlling your heroes is very important for warcraft 3, and being able to micro manage the units is important. The whole point of upkeep was to show that you dont need large armies to win. But rather show that you can win with good management of a small army. And I absolutely love that aspect of WoW. Starcraft and Warcraft 2 dont offer anywhere near the actual depth of micro managing that Warcraft 3 does.

I think warcraft3 was revolutionary to what we will expect from future Real Time Strategy games in the future.. I have even seen other companies immitate it already. ((Lords of Everquest, Btw I have the game. Not terrible. But not great))
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-05, 08:08 AM   #57
|MaguS|

Lords of Everquest was crap... Sony should have never made that game... it just sold because people wanted to get into the EQ2 Beta.

Main gripe with Heroe's is that I had to baby sit them... So I just made them patrol my base and used normal troops. I like sending out squads of guys, I don't want to have to keep control of a single unit(make him use items and special abilties). I just wana control 3 squads and move in formation (Love BFME's System)...

My favorite RTS to date is still Red Alert 1/2.
Old 01-06-05, 09:49 AM   #58
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
heh I completely disagree with your points on warcraft 3. Micro management requirements of Warcraft greatly outweight in macro management you'd have to do with starcraft or warcraft 2., Rushing is still possible, Just not against the computer, Hero rushes are a game of their own, They'll either do damage, Have little impact, Or completely change the game.

Being good at controlling your heroes is very important for warcraft 3, and being able to micro manage the units is important. The whole point of upkeep was to show that you dont need large armies to win. But rather show that you can win with good management of a small army. And I absolutely love that aspect of WoW. Starcraft and Warcraft 2 dont offer anywhere near the actual depth of micro managing that Warcraft 3 does
QFT. I'm not being a fanboy here, Warcraft 3 was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stagnant genre. Keep it up, Blizzard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Main gripe with Heroe's is that I had to baby sit them... So I just made them patrol my base and used normal troops. I like sending out squads of guys, I don't want to have to keep control of a single unit(make him use items and special abilties). I just wana control 3 squads and move in formation (Love BFME's System)...
Wow...just, wow. No wonder you didn't do well in the game. The Hero was supposed to be a support unit for your troops to keep them alive or greatly enhance their damage-dealing through thier abilities. Sending out units without a hero is instant death in Warcraft 3, but small groups with wise micromanagement of the hero (which is very easy thanks to WC3's awesome interface) will win a lot more battles than you'd think. Warcraft 3 had some of the most rewarding battles because of how actively involved the player is in combat, which is much better than "attack-moving" several large groups of units and watching and waiting until the battles are over. Not that I'm saying Starcraft, Warcraft 2, or the C&C games are bad, they aren't (except Tiberian Sun and Generals, those games blow ass). In fact, those games are all awesome. But Warcraft 3 was a welcome departure from the usual formula and it's a hell of a lot of fun if you bother to learn how to play it.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 09:56 AM   #59
Ghosthunter

my biggest gripes with WoW, on top of all the lag and server issues..was the game was just too easy..in beta was able to level 60 in a week or so..

tradeskills too easy..

and i never grouped once...because everyone wants to solo since more XP..

I think it has a lot of potential..but game is not challenging enough...i dont get the same feelig of accomplishment like in EQ1 or EQ2
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 10:02 AM   #60
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Wow...just, wow. No wonder you didn't do well in the game.
Who said I didn't do well? I just didn't enjoy it... I beat the game in acouple weeks after its release.

Your coming off like a blizzard fan... ontop of your high horse...