Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-02, 01:11 PM   #1
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar
Unhappy DX9 Benchmarking: Important benchies left out

Hello everyone,

Anand compared the R300 to GF4, R250s, ...
That's all very nice but... how fast is it with higher color precision?

Higher color precision is a DX9 feature developers will be able to use very easily. It's also something pretty usefull.
However, each company will likely have a different system for it. Only time will tell if nVidia or ATI got the best system.

Basically, what i'm saying is that you can't judge NV30/R300 performance with 32 bit color. It should be tested with more if you get high FPS anyway - nobody needs 100 FPS, but higher color precision can be very nice.

I'm doing this message for two reasons:
1. I want to make everyone remember current R300 benchies are nice, but we still got no higher color precision number ( and that's important! )
2. I'd like to see sites like Anand do that type of test once they'll get their hands on a R300 and, later, a NV30.

Thanks for reading, and if you got any feedback, feel free to express yourself!

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 01:33 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up

He sayd somwere that at 128 bit precision it takes 4x times more bandwith to perform then it takes on 32 bit colors , so we can assume it will get 4 times lower score on super duper lookeing games and that is very good score , since it scores easly over 200 on many current games
Old 08-14-02, 03:29 PM   #3
Toastywheatman

The pipeline is through and through 24 bpp per pixel float. It takes a 32 or 16 bit RGBA data component as input, expands it to 96 bit, manipulates it at 96 bit (writing intermediate results as 128 bits to preserve power of 2 framebuffer alignment), then dithers as a final step back to 10:10:10:2 RGBA for output through the DAC, all with no performance differences.

This is exactly the same as the Kyro I and II which internally rendered everything at 32bit making 16bit look better than the competitions equivalent.
Toastywheatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 04:01 PM   #4
sancheuz

So are you saying there wont be a performance hit?
sancheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 08:37 PM   #5
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz
So are you saying there wont be a performance hit?
no, he's saying that the quality will be essentially the same.

edit: and there will probably be a minimal performance hit(minimal in relation to say a 2x or 4x performance hit)
Old 08-15-02, 01:38 AM   #6
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

around 10%-30% roughly we are talking about here?
Old 08-15-02, 03:05 AM   #7
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by DVS
He sayd somwere that at 128 bit precision it takes 4x times more bandwith to perform then it takes on 32 bit colors , so we can assume it will get 4 times lower score on super duper lookeing games and that is very good score , since it scores easly over 200 on many current games
It isn't because it takes 4 times more bandwidth that it's 4 times slower: not all games are bandwidth limited.

And what if you activated higher bit color and AA? Maybe nVidia/ATI got an optimization for this kind of situation. Who knows.

Uttar
Old 08-15-02, 03:29 AM   #8
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Actually 32bpp takes no performance hit over 16bpp with aa and af or not. Also doesn't matter what res.

Old 08-15-02, 05:00 AM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Actually 32bpp takes no performance hit over 16bpp with aa and af or not. Also doesn't matter what res.
with what card are we talking about. i can definitely see the difference in framerate in good old Counter-Strike with 2x FSAA and 8X AF in 16bit or 32bit color. someone throws a smoke bomb in 32bit color, the fps drops lower than it would in 16bit.

i'm pretty sure that you would see some differences with a GF3 at 1280X1024 once you throw FSAA into the mix, even without FSAA probably(in video card limited situations). only time 32bit and 16bit should be the same is in CPU limited sitautions. of course with newer chips like GF4 with more efficient handling of bandwidth, there is less and less or a hit as the card is CPU limited in most situations.
Old 08-15-02, 06:32 AM   #10
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

My specs are in my sig.
I noticed no performance dip using 32bpp in the games I play.
Old 08-15-02, 06:55 AM   #11
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
My specs are in my sig.
I noticed no performance dip using 32bpp in the games I play.
Most likely depends on the game you're using! After all, some games aren't as bandwidth limited and are more made towards 32 bit. Or am i wrong here?

Uttar
Old 08-15-02, 08:49 PM   #12
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar

Most likely depends on the game you're using! After all, some games aren't as bandwidth limited and are more made towards 32 bit. Or am i wrong here?

Uttar
in this day and age, cards and games alike or more optimized for 32bit color, so you're right.