Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-02, 03:51 AM   #13
nutball
International God of Sex

You are correct, nVidia doesn't set the final price.

The commercial incentives for the board manufacturers are broadly in line with nVidias though; if NV30-based cards kick R300-butt they will sell at a premium price. If they don't they won't.

nVidia could sell NV30s at a loss to lower the final price of the board, but I see absolutely no reason for them to do so (epspecially given the state of their share price!). Even if they did, the board manufacturers would probably just cream off the extra profit.
Old 08-06-02, 04:54 AM   #14
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Obviously you guys still don't get it. It was the original assumption that nVidia was making these cards and therefore could make and sell the card for little to no profit. Or was it not?

Secondly, if nVidia set the MSRP of a board to be so low that the card manufacturers could not make a profit, how many of them would product nVidia boards? They would find another chipset to use on their boards. Face it, these manufacturers are not doing this for nothing! If ASUS does not make enough profit selling nVidia cards, believe me the they will drop nVidia fast.
ah, i see. you were criticizing the original idea. ok then, i've got nothing against you

you're absolutely right, even if you discounted the board manufacturers, nvidia nor anyone else would shoot for normal profits(breaking even). it's just not a good business plan.
Old 08-06-02, 11:17 PM   #15
SavagePaladin
info*****

what mental ward did he break out from this time? You guys really ought to find a more secured location.
____
ahem, i was pretty sure that nvambat dude was in here...

Last edited by SavagePaladin; 08-07-02 at 06:34 AM.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 12:04 AM   #16
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Wow. All I can say is wow. I think every rule in the business book was broken in that first post.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 12:09 AM   #17
ATI LoVeR 9700

ATi could rule! They could MAXX nVidias ass!

I think us fanATics have been too nice to nVidiots and should rub it in on how ATi is awesome and nVidia is not. I mean a whitepaper and rumors are nothing! Can't wait for the R350, or R400, to put you all more into your places.

(BTW, I'm just messing around! So, don't go nuts!)
ATI LoVeR 9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 06:36 AM   #18
SavagePaladin
info*****

Chr*** dude, shut the hell up already. We go through this every damn time ATI releases a card.
Get a clue....
Old 08-07-02, 06:57 AM   #19
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
Chr*** dude, shut the hell up already. We go through this every damn time ATI releases a card.
Get a clue....
and he always makes it a joke
Old 08-07-02, 06:58 AM   #20
Vid_craze

Ok now this is why I think this plan would work as others would not. People that have used an nVidia gen processor as their main Vid card has for the most part fell in love with them. ATI does have some issues (drivers) that kinda stop people from falling in Love with them as much. This is why if nVidia has an upgrade play I know that places like eVga do have upgrade option but only one card upgrade so it can be done and I think eVga makes good profit already. If nVidia indorced this option I think one or two of the End sellers Retailers would adopt this idea. Even if it is flawed the main jest of the idea is (even if they are makeing a small profit or little proofit in the begining) to delay the higher price for a week/month or even just pre-orders and release the cards one by one from smallest to largest. Not two large cards and then a smaller card. Granted the reason they implied this was that the mx cards were close in performance and the inital price would be to high to get the card to sell. Now everyone out there has a band wagon they cling to. I love ATI's hardware don't get me wrong ATI has a really good idea they even havea really good paten that I think rocks. The render this frame now then the next frame next. That really does a good job at breakeing down the rendering into half unless there is something that only is rendered every other screen or only one screen but I don't ever thing that will happen possible yes but hey anything is possible. The nVidia has the 3DFX even odd scan line rendering. This is good but there are some games that have effects that are interlaces mode to creat an effect like a sniper rifel in a q3 mod that interlesed the screen and had a mid sized circle that was zoomed inwith the cross hair big. Well abck to the point. I think it is a really good idea for someone to relese a card that would be lesser in cost for at least a breif moment in time even if it would be limited quinities. this would hopeful perswade some of the non nVidia fans to try them. Once you try them your hooked well ok maybe not some people get so abstraced about their video cards that the see stuff that is not there. Well futher ado and hey ATI 9700 lover I hope the drivers are really good becuase that is what i have had the biggest issues with. Even my friend that has an ATI. I spent tons of times getting Power DVD to work on her XP box becuase the ATI dvd player would not work with the driver she needed to use for her video card and via chipset. Older NT2000 beta driver.

Old 08-07-02, 08:48 AM   #21
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vid_craze
Ok now this is why I think this plan would work as others would not. People that have used an nVidia gen processor as their main Vid card has for the most part fell in love with them. ATI does have some issues (drivers) that kinda stop people from falling in Love with them as much. This is why if nVidia has an upgrade play I know that places like eVga do have upgrade option but only one card upgrade so it can be done and I think eVga makes good profit already. If nVidia indorced this option I think one or two of the End sellers Retailers would adopt this idea. Even if it is flawed the main jest of the idea is (even if they are makeing a small profit or little proofit in the begining) to delay the higher price for a week/month or even just pre-orders and release the cards one by one from smallest to largest. Not two large cards and then a smaller card. Granted the reason they implied this was that the mx cards were close in performance and the inital price would be to high to get the card to sell. Now everyone out there has a band wagon they cling to. I love ATI's hardware don't get me wrong ATI has a really good idea they even havea really good paten that I think rocks. The render this frame now then the next frame next. That really does a good job at breakeing down the rendering into half unless there is something that only is rendered every other screen or only one screen but I don't ever thing that will happen possible yes but hey anything is possible. The nVidia has the 3DFX even odd scan line rendering. This is good but there are some games that have effects that are interlaces mode to creat an effect like a sniper rifel in a q3 mod that interlesed the screen and had a mid sized circle that was zoomed inwith the cross hair big. Well abck to the point. I think it is a really good idea for someone to relese a card that would be lesser in cost for at least a breif moment in time even if it would be limited quinities. this would hopeful perswade some of the non nVidia fans to try them. Once you try them your hooked well ok maybe not some people get so abstraced about their video cards that the see stuff that is not there. Well futher ado and hey ATI 9700 lover I hope the drivers are really good becuase that is what i have had the biggest issues with. Even my friend that has an ATI. I spent tons of times getting Power DVD to work on her XP box becuase the ATI dvd player would not work with the driver she needed to use for her video card and via chipset. Older NT2000 beta driver.
Sheesh, I had to read through that like 3 times to try and get a point out of it. But your point about the releasing a card at a lower prince - isn't that like the Ti4200? I mean, that card is 80% of a Ti4600 at half the price. There are few people who would argue that the Ti4200 is the best value gaming card on the market right now.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 10:29 AM   #22
SavagePaladin
info*****

I'd go for the 4400. The 4200 is a bit too crippled for me
if NV30 ships in two states instead of three, lower clock and higher....and the difference is signficant, yet overclocking is possible easily on the lower....I think that'll be cool.
No 'more memory less speed' BS
Old 08-07-02, 08:09 PM   #23
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

Sheesh, I had to read through that like 3 times to try and get a point out of it. But your point about the releasing a card at a lower prince - isn't that like the Ti4200? I mean, that card is 80% of a Ti4600 at half the price. There are few people who would argue that the Ti4200 is the best value gaming card on the market right now.
his plan is to release the ti4200 first at a lower price. then release the 4400 and raise the price of 4200. then release 4600 and raise the price of the other two.

nvidia's problem is that prices never seem to drop on their cards. but i guess it isn't a "problem" because nvidia keeps selling cards and turning a great profit now that ATI seems to be on the game, they mgiht have to play the price card. we'll find out at R9700 launch time.
Old 08-08-02, 09:16 AM   #24
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
now that ATI seems to be on the game, they mgiht have to play the price card. we'll find out at R9700 launch time.
That's the biggest reason why I'm happy ATI keeps at it (even though I personally haven't seen an ATI card that would satisfy me yet.), and that so many people are ATI fans. If the ATI cards sell well enough, the pressure is kept on nVidia to stay competitive both feature and price-wise, so all of us get newer, faster, better tech for more affordable costs. (I'm one of the guys that was gonna skip on GF3 for $600, lol).