Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-05, 12:24 PM   #1
67_mustang

Default Shutdown and switching to console issues

I've looked around but I haven't been able to find anything that has been real helpful. I'm running Suse 9.1 and have recently upgraded the kernel to 2.6.10. I tried reinstalling the nvidia driver using YOU but that end unsuccessfully. So I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run and ran it following the instructions. Almost everything seems to work fine, I haven't used it for long periods of time but from what I've seen it appears to run without any problems. I get into trouble when I shutdown or try and switch to the first console CTL+ALT+F1 I get some colorful gibberish on my screen. The other consoles seem to produce a blank screen. I would appreciate any advice someone might have. Thanks.
67_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 08:49 PM   #2
hoputa

Default Re: Shutdown and switching to console issues

I had the same problem on my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M35. It has a GeForce Go 5200. I'm running suse 9.2 and also kernel 2.6.10.

Googling around I found this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/arch...p/t-28886.html

So I added the line they suggest to the device section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In my case the exact line I added is:

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT, TV"

I changed DPF for CRT since it's a laptop. This seemed to do the trick. I didn't get the funny colors anymore when shutting down or changing terminals with ctr+alt+f1/f2/...

However, I still have another issue. Sometimes when starting X I get a black screen and everything seems to be frozen. I have to reset and try again. As I say this behaviour is completely random, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. On top of it being quite annoying, I don't think my system appreciates being hard reseted so often.

I tried patching the nvidia drivers for the issues with kernel 2.6.10
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42964

It didn't fix it.
Reading the README file I got the idea that it might be the AGP support. So I disabled it with this line in the device section:

Option "NvAGP" "0"

That didn't help either. I'm out of ideas and I can't seem to find anybody with the same problem.
hoputa is offline   Reply With Quote