Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-05, 01:11 PM   #133
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Send a message via Yahoo to jong0357
Default Re: nVidia Linux Driver support for mobile video cards (Geforce* Go)...

I know... This is yet another issue with the new drivers that really irritate me. Happens to me too. Only they wont work as already stated even when they do compile. You have to coax it. Try this:

sh NVIDIA-blah-blah-blah.run -k $(uname -r)

That should get the driver to build....
jong0357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 01:26 PM   #134
G3m1n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong0357
I know... This is yet another issue with the new drivers that really irritate me. Happens to me too. Only they wont work as already stated even when they do compile. You have to coax it. Try this:

sh NVIDIA-blah-blah-blah.run -k $(uname -r)

That should get the driver to build....
Thanks for the quick response jong0357, unfortunately that did not work. I get the same error message. Is there something special that I have to do to configure the kernel sources? I used Xandros Networks to download the 2.6.9 kernel sources, and I assumed it would be configured automatically, but I guess not.
G3m1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 01:54 PM   #135
Pingus

For what it's worth, I have an older laptop running SuSE 9.1 Pro and a GeForce 2Go. All is running very smoothly using driver #1.0.5336.

I have a newer laptop with a GeForce FX Go5700 and the latest drivers but am having a few problems (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49755 and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48010).

Given the situation, I certainly won't upgrade the driver for the GeForce 2Go. You may want to download the older driver and give it a try. I had it working with a 2.6 kernel with no problems.
Old 05-03-05, 02:47 PM   #136
G3m1n1

I downloaded version 6629 of the nVidia drivers and attempted to build them, but I keep getting the same error. My kernel sources are in /usr/src/linux just like the installer wants, but I have no idea what it means by:

Quote:
If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel installed on your system. If you specified a separate output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or the "0" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this directory with the SYSOUT envronment variable or with the appropriate nvidia-installer command line option.
What is all this about KBUILD and SYSOUT? I appologize for being dense if this is rather easy, but I just don't get it. I must not be doing something correctly, or my system does meet all the prerequisites for the driver.
Old 05-03-05, 05:35 PM   #137
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Pingus, could you attach your xorg.conf file for your older laptop? Not that it's going to matter, I'm sure... I'm just spent on this whole thing... I've tried EVERY SINGLE driver since 4620 and all of them give me a frozen laptop... I've been fighting this for YEARS. This 4620 driver that I'm using isn't virgin. It was modified by Zander et. all to work around a "kernel oops" that affected some GPU's... See, I can't even read up on all the good info that was on minion.de much less grab the drivers they had there...

G3m1n1, thats a little different error than what I'm used to seeing. Sorry I didn't pay closer attention. I've never used Xandros, but this is what "I" would do... Repeat, what I would do... :-)

Make sure /usr/src/linux is a symlink that points to /usr/src/linux-2.6.9 or whatever the name of the folder in there is called. Then get into /lib/modules/ and add a ".bak" extension to the folder thats in there. Will corespond to your running kernel version (probably '2.6.9'). If the folder in there is something other than '2.6.9' then just leave it alone.
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make oldconfig
make bzImage modules modules_install
mkdir -p /boot/new
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/new/2.6.9
cp System.map /boot/new/System.map
Open up your bootloader config file. Either /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst depending on what bootloader Xandros uses. Copy/paste an exact entry below your original one. Then on the new entry change the kernel line to say "/boot/new/2.6.9" instead of "/boot/whatever-they-have-in-there". Change the new title to say "new". If your using lilo, you have to run "lilo" at a terminal after you save your changes. If your using grub, just reboot. Boot up with your new kernel and then try to install the nvidia driver.

Sorry I just spewed all that if you already know how to compile a kernel. If you don't, you really need to learn how. Thats Linux 101 stuff that you'll eventually need to learn anyway... It's complaing that your running kernel doesn't match the kernel source. 'Sync' them by building and then run a new kernel built from the sources in /usr/src/linux...

That would be my guess anyway...
Old 05-04-05, 09:37 AM   #138
Pingus

jong0357, could there be a conflict with Xorg? I have Xfree running. Here is my working XF86Config. I hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-5336.txt (5.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 05-04-05, 11:14 AM   #139
G3m1n1

Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I found some great instructins on the Xandros user forums, http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0
and the actually got my drivers to build, but I still get an error.

Quote:
ERROR: The runtime configuration check failed for library
'libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6629' (expected: '/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1', found: '/usr/lib/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1') The most likely reason for this is that conflicting OpenGL libraries are installed in a location not inspected by nvidia-installer. Please be sure you have uninstalled any third-party OpenGL and third-party graphics driver packages.
To my knowledge I have not installed any third party drivers or libraries. Anyone know a workaround for this? Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 05-04-05, 12:27 PM   #140
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Pingus.. Not sure. I would say no... But then again, you never know. I'm trying to think. I've only been using Xorg for about a year, so I don't think so. I switched like everyone else once XFREE changed their license. So I was having this problem on Xfree as well. I'm at the point where I'm going to try off the wall stuff like building Xfree to see if there is any difference... Thanks for the attachment tho... I'll check it out.

G3m1n1, man... Welcome to the wonderfull world of nvidia on linux. My next card is going to be ATI. I don't care about the horror stories of installing their drivers. It can't be any worse than this crap. Nvidia is not getting any more of my money. Especially when my Desktop's FX5200 128mb only pulls 1150fps in glxgears. Thats only 250fps better than my laptops 32mb... What the **** ever....

With the new drivers on my laptop, I get this when I run ldconfig:

/usr/lib/libGL.so is not an ELF file - It has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

or some such non sense. All of them do it. About 8 files. The only ones that don't are the ones in /usr/lib/tls... I'm curious as to whether or not the "runtime loader" is loading the right ones, which gives me more to think about on my problem. I get that error on all the drivers from 5336 and up.

Which brings me to my point, your tls libs should not be where they are. I have no idea why they are in /usr/lib/nvidia/tls.. They should be in /usr/lib/tls. Are these drivers that Xandros provided? Has to be. Something is going on anyway...

So..... Here is what I would do

mv /usr/lib/nvidia/tls /usr/lib/tls

or maybe first, you could just try to copy them.

cp /usr/lib/nvidia/tls /usr/lib/tls

Old 05-04-05, 01:05 PM   #141
G3m1n1

Yea, I'm starting to think this is harder than it should be and that maybe Linux just isn't as friendly for installing drivers as Windows. What does Windows do so differently that you can install video drivers from within Windows and not have to boot to DOS?

Anyway, I tried what you said, and I noticed something odd, /usr/lib/tlc is a shortcut to /usr/lib/nvidia/tlc, so it's not a directory. I'd imagine that this is not what you'd expect, so I'm going to try creating a /usr/lib/tlc directory and copying the contents of /usr/lib/nvidia/tlc into it.

Okay, these are the steps I took:

cd /usr/lib
rm tls
mv /usr/lib/nvidia/tls /usr/lib/tls

I then ran the installer, and it finished! I have yet to edit my xorg.conf file and reboot. I'll do that soon and post my results.

Edit/Update:

Success! I couldn't use the 7174 driver, had to use 6629 but it's working now at 1280x1024. My screen supports 1400x1050, but I'll try that some other time. I didn't have to edit xorg.conf either. Now I just have to write up what I did so I can remember it..

Awesome help everyone, especially jong, thanks for your patience and help.

Last edited by G3m1n1; 05-04-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-04-05, 03:13 PM   #142
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Go enjoy your driver then..... Just kiddin'... Glad you got it to work. Atleast someone did...

I'm still trying crazy stuff like latest kernels, various modelines, extra options passed to the nvidia module yada yada yada.... I noticed now that I'm not getting that 'unrecognized module format' and 'blah blah is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes' crap anymore with kernel 2.6.11.8 and 7174

I'm still getting a black screen tho. I'm dealing with multiple variables here so my combinations to get it working have increased exponentially... I'm not very good in Math but I have 4 or 5 viable solutions for xorg.conf along with trying about 4-5 different nvidia drivers along with a few possible related things in the kernel to switch around... Well, you get the idea. I'm looking at thousands of possible combinations to try here... Maybe 10 years from now I'll actually get it to work.

I'm comandering this thread and am going to continually update. Maybe if I annoy the piss out of people, I might actually get something acomplished... Other than annoying the piss out of people...
Old 05-04-05, 03:28 PM   #143
jong0357
Mad Penguin

And while I'm still in the ranting mood, I have seen post after post after post of people stating that 4620 was the last version that worked correctly.

Ya, know... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a logical course of action would be to extract 4620, extract 5336 and then run a diff on them. Look at your diff and find out where you broke the damn thing..... And while your at it, get ahold of Zander and find out what changes he made to the packaged drivers that were on minion. I'm not a nvidia dev..... It's a little over my head at this point, but the direction I'm heading, I'll be able to do it sooner than later, I'm sure...

But wait... All evidence points to Nvidia not really giving a **** about it's mobile users so why would you want to expend the effort in fixing your drivers?

Alright... Back to the drawing board....
Old 05-04-05, 05:04 PM   #144
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3m1n1
Yea, I'm starting to think this is harder than it should be and that maybe Linux just isn't as friendly for installing drivers as Windows. What does Windows do so differently that you can install video drivers from within Windows and not have to boot to DOS?
Windows doesn't do anything different. It's Nvidias fault on that one, not Linux. Their market share is in the Windows arena. Thats why the windows drivers work well from nvidia. Because they devote most/all of their time into developing Windows drivers, they are naturally going to be superior. If they ignored problems like they are doing here, ATI would have surpassed them LONG ago and they would no longer be in bussiness. It's all about the allmighty dollar.

I tell ya, right now, I'd send someone a hundred bucks if they could tell me how to use the latest nvidia drivers with my Inspiron 4100 bios A13 Geforce2 Go 32mb 512 DDRAM 14.1" screen laptop....

**** you not. Hell, I'd even pay more than that right now....

So, anyway... Using the latest kernel 2.6.11.8 with 7174 I got something different. I no longer got a black screen but it bumped me back to the console stating:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
I looked in my log and this happens right after it tries to load "glx"...
So I comment out GLX in my config and we are right back to the black screen.....

I just downloaded ALL versions inbetween 4496 and 7174 AGAIN... 7174 is burning me out. Think I'll try other drivers for now... Good bye diary... Until next time... Signing out....

P.S.- I'm no longer getting all the errors when I run ldconfig anymore, like:
Code:
ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.6629 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6629 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.6629 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGL.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
if I run 'file' on them, they are all reported as ELF files.... I'm also not getting the report of:
Code:
Fatal: Inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): invalid module format
I've been inserting the module manually with
Code:
nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1
I'm not sure if that really does anything. I've also tried the equivalent options in my xorg.conf to no avail. I've patched the driver before compile to include those changes, no go.

I've tried the whole gtf modeline generation only change the "+Vsync" to a "-Vsync", no joy....

I've tried 'NoLogo' true/false.

Note to self - Try ditching bootsplash and Framebuffer all together and see if nvidia is not liking vesa framebuffer... There is another problem, only with my Desktop.. Using TV-OUT and switching back to the console from X results in wacky squiggly lines (presumably all the text crunched up) at the bottom of my screen.http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/

Man... Why oh why are Nvidia drivers so screwed up on Linux?

P.S.2 - Don't forget about the TLS libs... Look into when they implemented this and rule out possible cause.

Last edited by jong0357; 05-04-05 at 11:43 PM.