Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-05, 05:23 PM   #157
superbigvlad

Default Re: nVidia Linux Driver support for mobile video cards (Geforce* Go)...

I've just got the nvidia GeForce2 Go running on Dell 2650 laptop, both internal LCD and external monitor.Switching works fine, no black screen and system crashes (anymore).
I'm running Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.11.7

1.Downloaded the driver from nvidia.com, the file names like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run. (The original XF86 driver ("nv") works but
any switch between external and internal monitor is a great risk. Dual view does
not work at all).

2.Installed it as described on nvidia's pages and altered XF86Config as described on the same place. First check: starting X works fine with external monitor, while doing the same
with internal LCD crashes the system that one has to use power switch to bring it back.

3.Little bit of search on google found this interesting link:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-313705.html
I followid it. In short:

I have recompiled my kernel. In character devices, left the AGP on but disabled any
other drivers (including the nvidia one).

Make sure the nvidia module is loaded with those NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2 options - these are truly essential. Having tried without those I've got the black screen again.

installed the nvidia-glx (on debian it's apt-get install nvidia-glx command)

4.everything works fine now.

Hope this helps
superbigvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 09:01 PM   #158
Compholio

I just got my mobile to work with the NVIDIA driver but it only works if an external monitor is connected and enabled before X loads. It's really weird, the whole thing just hangs and the screen goes totally black if it can't display on the external monitor (totally black being off).
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 11:14 PM   #159
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Send a message via Yahoo to jong0357

Thanks for the link superbigvlad... I'll check it out. I'm assuming that link has nothing to do with using an external monitor.

This is a laptop. Hooking up a CRT or TV is not an option. Thats lame as all hell. I have a brand new Desktop computer that I pipe video out to. I can't carry a TV with me to the park or in the car or on a plane just so I can use nvidia's crappy ass card...

You know, alot of the older(2-3 years) PCI cards don't work with the newer drivers even in Windows. They aught to state somewhere that there is a time period of support for their cards. I'll never buy Nvidia again, thats for sure. Dell wanted to pawn an Nvidia card off on me when I just bought my Desktop. Told em' I didn't want it. I'm just hella pissed at nvidia.

Alamax said he got his working too using a TV... Thanks for the input tho. I just don't see that as a viable solution. It's no longer mobile when you do that...

I'll check the Gentoo link out and if that doesn't yeild anything, I'm done. For good. I've had to freeze my 2.6 only system at 2.6.10 running 4620 all because of this dog **** card. Never again.
jong0357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 10:45 AM   #160
mspiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRealAfroman
WOW

I read for hours in this forum and finally its working.

I had to load the nvidia driver with
Code:
sudo modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2
after that everything is running fine.
Additional infos:
VideoBIOS: 03.11.01.38.12
NVIDIA X Driver 1.0-7174
@theRealAfroman
Thanks for posting this solution for the Toshiba-Satellite 3000 series! Until now I wasn't able to get any driver newer than the 6111 working on my Satellite 3000-601/Geforce2Go. Always a black screen and a freezing system After modifying my /etc/modprobe.preload according to your suggestions the 7174 driver works! No more useless messing around with my xorg.conf file

Thanks again!

Martin

Toshiba Satellite 3000-601/Geforce2Go
Mandrake 10.1
mspiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 03:46 PM   #161
jong0357
Mad Penguin

O.k... This is what I've come up with, thanks to the TREMENDOUS help of someone in the Slackware forum at LinuxQuestions.org... I'm more than happy with it. I've got 4620 running on all flavors of kernel 2.6 now. That will have to do.

It would be nice if I was one of the lucky ones where NVreg_SoftEDIDs/NVreg_Mobile actually worked... Or any of the countless other suggestions I've read about and tried... Oh well....

I'll update my Angelfire site in just a bit to include the new info and I'll also attach the patch to this post. Obviously, you'll need to use the patch on the modified 4620 that Zander made awhile back. Oh... wait... That's a "hopelessly outdated" driver and doesn't deserve the light of day... It's a good thing you can still find it else where...

http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/
or
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/madpenguin1/nvidia.htm

Roll me over and stick a fork in me cause' I'm done.... Atleast untill kernel 2.6.13 completely screws everything up again...
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-4620.patch.txt (11.3 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by jong0357; 05-22-05 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 03:00 AM   #162
infomissing123

I just got 7174 driver working on my Dell 2650 with Mandriva 2005 (mandrake 10.2, kernel 2.6.11-6 with some mandrake specific stuff). I have made no changes (except driver name ) in xorg.conf. I recompiled my kernel with AGP support but left all the agp drivers as modules. By default, Mandriva detected and had the intel-agp driver loading. When I installed the Nvidia drivers, I got the nasty black screen with a full system freeze. I followed some of the directions on this forum. Here's how I load my nvidia module

#/etc/modprobe.preload
#intel-agp
nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2

make sure that the intel-agp modules IS NOT LOADING. I don't feel like messing with it (because it works right now) but I have a feeling that's a part of the problem.
Yes, my kernel does include ACPI and APIC. Haven't tested that though. With above options, X seems to come up fine. GLX gears gives 633 fps. I hope this works for everyone else.
infomissing123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 07:46 AM   #163
AlxMAX

Given the fact that I have installed a week ago a Mandriva Linux 2005, I have tried to install the NVidia drivers according to infomissing123 instructions. Now it works (I don't obtain that frame rate but it works)! But only with those parameters supplied to the kernel module. I haven't tested yet with the TwinView option enabled. But it is already a big step ahead!
Old 05-23-05, 12:58 PM   #164
infomissing123

Just tried suspend/standby and it doesn't resume properly. But that just might be from the ****ty dell bios. I've actually never had that working properly, regardless of the nvidia driver.

Old 05-23-05, 11:14 PM   #165
jong0357
Mad Penguin

How are you supposed to keep agpgart from loading? I don't have it defined in modprobe/modules.conf... nvidia loads that one on it's own... I suppose I could remove it from /lib/modules totally.... I would think the nvidia module wouldn't load then.... Any insight? I suppose I could blacklist it maybe...
Old 05-24-05, 02:41 AM   #166
infomissing123

Agpgart can load, just not specific agp module like in my case intel-agp. I compiled my kernel with agpgart support but the actual agp drivers as modules. They are the ones that can't load. In my config, the modules were being loaded in /etc/modprobe.preload. Just comment them out.
Old 05-24-05, 09:56 AM   #167
AlxMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong0357
How are you supposed to keep agpgart from loading? I don't have it defined in modprobe/modules.conf... nvidia loads that one on it's own... I suppose I could remove it from /lib/modules totally.... I would think the nvidia module wouldn't load then.... Any insight? I suppose I could blacklist it maybe...
I haven't been able to find out your Linux distro. But you should search for the modprobe.preload in /etc. This file is responsible for loading all the specified modules before the entire boot process actually begins. In this file you should search for an intel-agp line and comment it.

There might be a problem: the agp parts compiled into the kernel. In this case you should compile these parts as modules and not into the kernel. If the command ls /lib/modules/<your_current_kernel>/kernel/drivers/char/agp/ returns a list of modules and if agpgart and intel-agp are there, then you have the agp parts compiled as modules. If not, you should recompile your kernel to obtain those modules. This link tells you how to obtain a kernel source tree for Fedora Core (search for UPGRADEDEFAULT in the document and the description follows).
Old 05-24-05, 10:24 AM   #168
AlxMAX

I have activated RenderAccel and the system runs normally. I don't know if there is a faster display of antialiased fonts. infomissing123, have you been able to activate it? Have you noticed some display improuvements?